Espresso available in Terrace Café or GDR for breakfast ??

Hambagahle

I have been scratching my head trying to remember - to no avail.  So can someone say if you can order a double espresso at breakfast in either the Terrace or the GDR ??   It is all we drink in the way of coffee...

Also if anyone has a GDR breakfast menu that they could post here it would be really appreciated!!  Merci vielmal!

13 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I have been scratching my head trying to remember - to no avail.  So can someone say if you can order a double espresso at breakfast in either the Terrace or the GDR ??   It is all we drink in the way of coffee...

Also if anyone has a GDR breakfast menu that they could post here it would be really appreciated!!  Merci vielmal!

In Terrace (and O/A GDR) it will be espresso from an automated machine. In GDR on R-ships it can be from Baristas at the GDR entry.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, merci, merci vielmal !!  As long as we can get 2 double espressos each  before we start the day we will survive.  (At home our Nespresso machine provides them...I think Oceania coffee is Illy but that is OK.  It is the brewed US stuff we can't stand).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

And the brewed US stuff is what I like!  Where can I get the closest thing to that?  

Edited to add….last O cruise was 8 yrs ago and the coffee in GDR was so dark and strong! 

Stick with ILLY from Baristas

• Like 1

On our last O cruise last summer, the regular coffee in the Terrace and the GDR was absolutely undrinkable.  My DW always ordered a cappuccino in either dining venue and no problem.  So I am sure you can get a double espresso if you wish.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Ask for a cafe americano? 

No way.  Too weak.  Double espresso for us both!   I think it is a cultural thing.  In Switzerland it is almost impossible to get a bad cup of coffee but you never see those "brewing pots".  All coffee comes from (usually) large espresso machines.  You can certainly ask for an Americano if you want it watered down.  Or what we call a "renversé" which is hot milk and coffee. Café au lait I think the French call it.

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Esther1 said:

Is one cup of morning coffee to the cabin something we can arrange for the Butler to drop off on the daily or must it go through Room Service? This will be our first Oceania cruise. 

As @mauibabes indicated, yes, you can ask your butler to do that, as well as have him bring you a hot or cold breakfast at a specified time.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:00 AM, Hambagahle said:

Thank you, merci, merci vielmal !!  As long as we can get 2 double espressos each  before we start the day we will survive.  (At home our Nespresso machine provides them...I think Oceania coffee is Illy but that is OK.  It is the brewed US stuff we can't stand).

Completely concur, and grazie!  Lavazza and Illy are the world's best, but we also have some wonderfully aromatic brews locally.  When we were on Sirena last September, Barista's coffee was almost perfect, but slightly watery and bitter, rather than exuding that rich, caramel undertone that we love.  My husband was born in northern Italy, and he taught me to appreciate "caffe perfetto" many decades ago.  We grind Lavazza "Oro" beans in our Jura espresso machine.  I'm pretty sure Jura is Swiss, Gerry🙂

Jura is most definitely a Swiss brand.  And a very upmarket one too.  Your standards are igher than ours - Mario being Italian!!  But you should maybe try Nespresso.  I love the taste and the fact that I don't grind it but most of all I love the consistency of it.  It always tastes the same, every single time.  (And they have a wide range of flavours to choose from if you want to ring the changes!

Lilly will be fine and I hope I can get it at the Veranda...

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Jura is most definitely a Swiss brand.  And a very upmarket one too.  Your standards are igher than ours - Mario being Italian!!  But you should maybe try Nespresso.  I love the taste and the fact that I don't grind it but most of all I love the consistency of it.  It always tastes the same, every single time.  (And they have a wide range of flavours to choose from if you want to ring the changes!

Lilly will be fine and I hope I can get it at the Veranda...

Yes, Nespresso delivers a very drinkable coffee, but not quite Lavazza or Illy for us.  It really is a matter of acquired taste and preference, and what your palate recognises as ideal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, Nespresso delivers a very drinkable coffee, but not quite Lavazza or Illy for us.  It really is a matter of acquired taste and preference, and what your palate recognises as ideal.

I totally agree!!  Taste, palate and expectations!  (which is why I am always in shock when I see "American" coffee!!

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I totally agree!!  Taste, palate and expectations!  (which is why I am always in shock when I see "American" coffee!!

You are on a ship  with more than 60%  Americans  why would it shock you to see American coffee

it is what they like

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You are on a ship  with more than 60%  Americans  why would it shock you to see American coffee

it is what they like

Absolutely true!  It is what they like, what they are used to and what they think is coffee.  !!   It is not the coffee that we call coffee.  and that is what shocks me.  It is just a hot, weak black drink.   To see those large mugs of it being downed all the time by people who love it makes me laugh.  For most people on the planet coffee is a drugl. Seems that some take large volumes of itl. Others take it mucj stronger in small does.  They all see to thrive on it!  And that it what schocks me.

There are other American thing on the ship that do not shock me and I love - Eggs Benedict for one.  Prime Rib for another.   Bloody Marys.  I have a long list.  But that weak coffee you see through with no crema served in mugs,  No thank you!

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Absolutely true!  It is what they like, what they are used to and what they think is coffee.  !!   It is not the coffee that we call coffee.  and that is what shocks me.  It is just a hot, weak black drink.   To see those large mugs of it being downed all the time by people who love it makes me laugh.  For most people on the planet coffee is a drugl. Seems that some take large volumes of itl. Others take it mucj stronger in small does.  They all see to thrive on it!  And that it what schocks me.

I also prefer to drink my coffee “Italian” way espresso or cappuccino when it’s appropriate. I believe that it’s what you “call” coffee. But there’re many others who like an “americano” and it’s not necessary a bad coffee, just different from what you like. Definitely doesn’t shock me at all, neither it seems funny to me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, osandomir said:

I also prefer to drink my coffee “Italian” way espresso or cappuccino when it’s appropriate. I believe that it’s what you “call” coffee. But there’re many others who like an “americano” and it’s not necessary a bad coffee, just different from what you like. Definitely doesn’t shock me at all, neither it seems funny to me.

An Americano is not what I am talking about.  An Americano is an espresso watered down a bit but made with an espresso machine.  What I am referring to is "brewed" coffee that sits on a hot plate for a long time and can taste burnt.  It is that I can't stand - and I don't understand why, if espresso is so readily available these days many people still drink brewed coffee.  Clearly it is what they like.  I have no problem with that.  "to each his own" so to speak.  I just don't understand why they don't switch to espresso!

• Like 1