Dinner Attire - Yacht Club

LilLeebird

Hello. Going on my first MSC cruise soon and we are booked in a Yacht Club suite. Question regarding the private restaurant for Yacht Club guests. What is the attire for dinner? Can you go fairly casual (like shorts) or do we need to plan for something a little nicer like slacks or a dress?

1 hour ago, LilLeebird said:

Hello. Going on my first MSC cruise soon and we are booked in a Yacht Club suite. Question regarding the private restaurant for Yacht Club guests. What is the attire for dinner? Can you go fairly casual (like shorts) or do we need to plan for something a little nicer like slacks or a dress?

I like what MSC puts on their Daily Program when it comes to Suggested Evening Dress: Gala

"On Gala Night, dress to impress! Whether that means a tuxedo, suit and tie, evening gown or cocktail dress, or perhaps it's your very best jeans and polo shirt, your attire should fit your own level of elegance. Please note that: shorts, flip flops, tank-tops and t-shirts are not welcomed in the main dining rooms, lounges, and theatre."

However, depending on the cruise and the restaurant staff we have seen all sorts of varying degrees of undress allowed into the restaurants. 'Class is as class does'.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

I will add that in some of the dailies the dress is deemed “casual” and  I’ve also seen “smart casual”. On casual nights shorts were no problem for men or women. Smart casual was long pants for men and pretty much anything goes for women. I didn’t see any shorts on gala night. 

On our final night (Seaside) a grown man wore shorts and a ball cap to dinner and they allowed it. I was very disappointed in the cap. Dressy shorts on men have their place. Call me old fashioned, but a ball cap at dinner is just tacky and unrefined. IMO. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LilLeebird said:

"Can you go fairly casual (like shorts) or do we need to plan for something a little nicer like slacks or a dress?"

In addition to the previously mentioned policy for Gala Night, MSC's website FAQs includes the following under the heading of Dress Restrictions:
"Specific restrictions may be enforced by onboard staff members including restaurant hostesses and management. At no point is swimwear allowed in any formal dining venue for any meal, including breakfast and lunch. Shorts, flip flops, and tank tops are not allowed for Evening Wear or Gala Night in the Main Dining Rooms, Specialty Restaurants, or MSC Yacht Club. T-shirts are not allowed to be worn for Gala Night. Dress code rules that are posted outside the buffet should be followed."

It is quite true MSC often ignores their own stated dress policies. It is also quite true cruisers have been discreetly asked to return to their room and change clothes. Ultimately, the choice to play it safe or not is up to you.

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 4

On 8/13/2023 at 10:41 PM, LilLeebird said:

If you plan for something a little nicer then you don't risk being turned away. The dress code does state 'no shorts'. You may or may not be turned away, both are possible. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:41 PM, LilLeebird said:

We were on Seascape the week of July 30.

I mostly wore slacks or jeans to dinner, but did wear nice shorts at least one night, with no issue.

One day at lunch a guy shows up in a tank top, he had to put on a different shirt.

Gala night , some dressed to the nines, some dressed casual.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:51 AM, Brighton Line said:

In my experience, it is up to the staff at the dining venue. I've seen shorts and flip-flops at dinner and nothing is said and on the same cruise seen a person with a similar outfit asked to return in different attire. 

On my last cruise women could get way with anything for breakfast and lunch in the MDR (sandals and a spaghetti strap top), but men were asked to change if wearing a tank top or sandals.  

Just got off the Seaside- it was all over the place.  We wore sundresses for the ladies and golf shorts/shirts for the men.  It was pretty casual, overall.  I did see one lady wearing a swimsuit and coverup to dinner and was surprised they didn't say anything.  Lots of t-shirts and flip flops though- nobody said anything.  I don't know what ship you are on, but I will say that the staff in the Seaside YC were outstanding.

• Like 1