Cruise Director currently on the Encore

Sunday golf

1 minute ago, Mr Luxury said:

Clark Roberts and his wife Melissa.

He's not doing it for me.

This is a totally neutral question--having nothing to do with your current CD.  I do believe that an excellent CD adds a LOT to a cruise.  Saying that--I would like to ask--what do YOU expect from a CD on Seabourn to make your experience what you think it should be.  

• Like 1

Just for completeness (not disputing Mr L, since he is there now), but on our cruise in April into May, Aimee was the CD and we thought she did an excellent job, especially under the sometimes difficult conditions as weather problems somewhat played havoc with the schedule.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AmateurGO said:

Just for completeness (not disputing Mr L, since he is there now), but on our cruise in April into May, Aimee was the CD and we thought she did an excellent job, especially under the sometimes difficult conditions as weather problems somewhat played havoc with the schedule.

Love Aimee..sailed with her last October..she did a great job and it was her first contract with SB as a CD

Nancy

19 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Saying that--I would like to ask--what do YOU expect from a CD on Seabourn to make your experience what you think it should be.  

I'd say, don't be like a CD on Carnival.  I don't need a pitchman, or a former entertainer that needs to regain the spotlight.  At best, you barely notice a top-notch CD because he is making sure that everything runs smoothly in the entertainment department.  He makes his staff the star without being a salesman for the shows.  And if he is also a performer, he doesn't posture himself as the star of the cruise.

My least favorite type of CD makes you feel like you're listening to a used car salesman.  Every act is the greatest, everything on the ship is fantastic, and that you are getting the greatest experience of your life.  Sorry - let me make that evaluation.

Give me grace, dignity and professionalism.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

This is a totally neutral question--having nothing to do with your current CD.  I do believe that an excellent CD adds a LOT to a cruise.  Saying that--I would like to ask--what do YOU expect from a CD on Seabourn to make your experience what you think it should be.  

I'm sure this is a personal and subjective issue like cuisine and dress code. 

Ok Clark is a nice guy and his wife is a nice lady.

He is just not my type,whatever that is.

He is new to Seabourn and I set my level for cruise directors at Handre,John Barron and Ross Roberts. 

Yes,all three of these mentioned are different but I like to see a CD around the ship and interacting with guests and on Encore now I'm not seeing this apart from when we have a deck party,singer event.

I'm sure some guests on Encore now like the CD.

What do I know anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I'm sure this is a personal and subjective issue like cuisine and dress code. 

Ok Clark is a nice guy and his wife is a nice lady.

He is just not my type,whatever that is.

He is new to Seabourn and I set my level for cruise directors at Handre,John Barron and Ross Roberts. 

Yes,all three of these mentioned are different but I like to see a CD around the ship and interacting with guests and on Encore now I'm not seeing this apart from when we have a deck party,singer event.

I'm sure some guests on Encore now like the CD.

What do I know anyway.

I'm right there with you Mr. Luxury.  We see this the same way and realize it is a subjective issue.  We also love both Handre and Ross as Cruise Directors.  We have not met John Barron yet.  We recognize that Ross can be over the top.  Initially, when we met him, we thought  OMG---who IS this guy?  We came to truly appreciate him and still smile at all his shenanigans and fun.  Others may prefer a more sedate CD.  To each his own.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

As with life in general, we all have people we instantly like, and others we don't.  Does not mean there is anything wrong with them or you.  My favourite has always been Handre, and unfavourite John Barron.  They are both superb at the job, so I suspect that as a more introverted character myself I find Handre more appealing than the very extrovert John.  Horses for courses, and chacun, etc. etc.

On 8/17/2023 at 12:02 PM, LEESRE said:

Someone has recently said that Ross is going back to Encore sometime in September.

My understanding is that Ross will be celebrating his 40th birthday on the Encore for one week in October.  We’re sailing on the Encore from October 1-22.  Looking forward to wishing him a happy birthday!  🎂

• Like 1

Ross will be on the Encore.  Many of us are disappointed because he was scheduled to be on the Ovation at that time.  The switch came in May.   Although I am disappointed that he will not be on the Ovation-- I wish him a wonderful Happy Birthday.  He has the talent of spreading happiness and deserves a special celebration.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Utopia1 said:

Ross will be on the Encore.  Many of us are disappointed because he was scheduled to be on the Ovation at that time.  The switch came in May.   Although I am disappointed that he will not be on the Ovation-- I wish him a wonderful Happy Birthday.  He has the talent of spreading happiness and deserves a special celebration.

I have to agree that Ross has the talent of spreading happiness.  That is such a good description.  My favorite memory is Ross using a slang British term that we Americans were clueless as to the meaning.  I did a bit of quick googling and was gobsmacked and speechless.  This man can get away with things that no one else can--and still not offend.  I know not everyone likes Ross's style.  Some may say he is Carnival style.  That would be abhorrent to me.  I say he is a rare talent.  He certainly won us over.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Bozi copdic Encore Hotel Director has now gone to join Viking Ocean cruises.

That is unfortunate.  It seems all the good senior people are either leaving or have already left Seabourn.  

2 hours ago, texanaust said:

That is unfortunate.  It seems all the good senior people are either leaving or have already left Seabourn.  

Yes indeed but there are still a few old time crew that are here.

Unfortunately on this week of our cruise there are 240 Australians who are in a group paid for as an Incentive from one Company.

It's been a difficult week for regular guests and what the poor crew have had to put up with.

On one sail away there were forty people in the pool drinking from glass beer bottles which is a complete no in my book for safety at the very least.

The Hotel Director has been complained to by many regular guests who are understandably not happy. 

The CEO is also aware.

The group should have chartered a ship as it affects everything.

Seabourn should not take large group bookings especially at this time of year as they would have filled the ship anyway.it is complete madness.

One couple who I have spoken to have cancelled their next three booked cruises.

Silversea would seem to be the likely benefactor from this situation going forward.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to read that,  Mr. L.  Are you disembarking, or staying on, and if so presumably this group will have gone, and hopefully not another arriving?  The groups being 'comped' by their companies are always the worst in terms of drinking, particularly as most are not used to the idea of inclusive alcohol.

I have just realised that the group is over a third of the passengers on board!  It doesn't matter what nationality they are - it is just far too many.  Hard to believe that this is now Seabourn practice.  It would not be surprising if staff were leaving; they have to bear the brunt of the extra work and all the complaints, when it has nothing to do with them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have just realised that the group is over a third of the passengers on board!  It doesn't matter what nationality they are - it is just far too many.  Hard to believe that this is now Seabourn practice.  It would not be surprising if staff were leaving; they have to bear the brunt of the extra work and all the complaints, when it has nothing to do with them.

I replied to a similar post on Seabourn Sailors who posted there was a group of 237 Australians currently on board the Encore.  I said we had a corporate group of 250 Mexicans on board in May and I was called a  Racist for saying ‘Mexicans’ although merely agreeing that a large Corporate group did alter the dynamics of a cruise for the Guests.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tallante said:

I replied to a similar post on Seabourn Sailors who posted there was a group of 237 Australians currently on board the Encore.  I said we had a corporate group of 250 Mexicans on board in May and I was called a  Racist for saying ‘Mexicans’ although merely agreeing that a large Corporate group did alter the dynamics of a cruise for the Guests.

Saw that, then the entire thread was disappeared. Methinks some people need to consult a dictionary, since when did nationality become race?

Apparently, “peoplekind” from down under no longer have the thick skin I experienced living there 45 years ago!! 😇

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Unfortunately on this week of our cruise there are 240 Australians who are in a group paid for as

I love Aussies as they are generally very friendly and easy going, but 240 of any kind of group is just too many....  too disruptive to all the other passengers and crew.  They need to be separated or, more difficult, controlled much better.

4 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Unfortunately on this week of our cruise there are 240 Australians who are in a group paid for as an Incentive from one Company.

It's been a difficult week for regular guests and what the poor crew have had to put up with.

On one sail away there were forty people in the pool drinking from glass beer bottles which is a complete no in my book for safety at the very least.

The Hotel Director has been complained to by many regular guests who are understandably not happy. 

The CEO is also aware.

The group should have chartered a ship as it affects everything.

Seabourn should not take large group bookings especially at this time of year as they would have filled the ship anyway.it is complete madness.

One couple who I have spoken to have cancelled their next three booked cruises.

Silversea would seem to be the likely benefactor from this situation going forward.

Unfortunate news on the partial charter.  We are 21 days on Encore end of October. The first leg of (7 days) are sold out.  I fear a partial charter.  This is my first time on a ship over 500 people. Perhaps my last.

Wishing you calmer days ahead. Or, grab a bottle of beer and jump in the pool....OK, maybe a bottle of PR Winston Churchill. One must maintain some sort of standard.