How do you rate MDR menu these days?

thefog

2 hours ago, RyderJ201 said:

Wrong. That's how they will know it's an unwelcome policy. People have to speak up. Over and over. Customer is always right. 

Absolutely and never encountered a problem with this if you speak up and stand firm!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

. I did not, and would not, put the waiter in the awkward position of going to his superior to make a change in policy for for a spoiled, seemingly entitled (me) passenger.

That is your problem then ....

I see no need to budge to a stupid policy to please a waiter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Absolutely and never encountered a problem with this if you speak up and stand firm!

That is your problem then ....

I see no need to budge to a stupid policy to please a waiter.

I think he was fishing for tips....

I choose not to be an arrogant entitled ugly American - YMMV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cruiseboy89130 said:

So you agree it is not an issue at all - but people choose to just get one 1 item at a time because that is the official suggestion....

Not even close. If one chooses to bluster his way to a different outcome, then that person is the issue, not the other way around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not even close. If one chooses to bluster his way to a different outcome, then that person is the issue, not the other way around.

Not what I think.....but in short - it is not an issue as they will do it your way - if you bring it up to the right people!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Not what I think.....but in short - it is not an issue as they will do it your way - if you bring it up to the right people!

Two different philosophies on dealing with these types of first world issues:

American - The squeaky wheel gets the grease;

Japanese - The nail that rises up gets hammered down

I choose civility over confrontation - YMMV

23 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

Are they still only serving one plate at a time, or will they bring you 2 apps or 2 entries at the same time?

Varies by ship and waitstaff.  On Anthem in March they tended to do one at a time.  Quantum in July was all at once…. Like this:  (This was “Taste of Asia” with a lot more apps than normal.  Too many good apps to turn down)🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.27f2a18e678a5bd787d521017adee9d3.jpeg

• Like 4

Been over 30 Cruises on Royal Caribbean.  On those cruises, I have had 1 bad thing.   I would give the food 9/10 and Service 15/10.  I don’t know what you eat back here on land, but RCCL food is way, way better than what I eat on land.  Plus I don’t have to cook it or clean up afterwards.  

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

3/10 quality and service 5/10 selection. Very poor now. Low quality and cheap carbs. 

Surprisingly, when we sail in a suite and order from the MDR menu, we find that both the quality and quantity of food delivered is significantly better than if we ordered the same items while dining in the MDR.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3

Done enough cruises so the wonder of the first few cruises has aged (rather well).  Not every meal on my last cruise hit the same high notes as the highlights I best remember from my first few cruises.  I have a few favorite menus, and some have exceeded expectations, some haven't.  There have been some new highlights that do get up to that initial level of awesomeness.  

Overall, MDR meals are still much better than I would cook for myself, and also better than my favorite restaurants at home.  

The expectations bar does get set rather high, because I have such good remembrance of the truely exceptional meals.  I'm happy with the MDR, the menus, the service, the cuisine.  If I ever reach the point where I want more High Notes, I still haven't tried the Specialty dining venues yet.

• Like 2

I feel very badly for all of you who find the food in the MDR better than you eat at home. Since Covid, we've only eaten in the MDR a few times, generally we get the UDP.  The only time we do the MDR is if we are traveling with kids or can't get UDP. We've been known to "snack" our  dinner by getting a few slices of pizza from Sorrento, then the charcuterie plate at Vintages and finish up with salad and dessert in the Windjammer. 

• Like 7

On 8/17/2023 at 8:03 PM, Eddie Wilson said:

DW and I have sailed 4 or 5 times post Covid.  Our most recent cruise was the first I have ever rated MDR food less than 5 out of 10.  For our first dozen cruises going way back it was always 10 out of 10.  

We particularity found the entrees to have suffered. We do like the ambiance of MDR, the fine dining white linen, classically set table, staff trained in fine dining service.  Apps, sides and deserts were good.  But to top a classically set fine dinner with a really lousy cut of beef, chicken or fish.  

But RCL has done a lot of correct things over the past 30 years, and here is hoping for improvement.  I would expect they realize the issue and can match the meal with the ambiance in this post Covid economics. 

so i am guessing that our friend jeff ruby has nothing to worry about in the way of competition from rccl.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

I feel very badly for all of you who find the food in the MDR better than you eat at home. Since Covid, we've only eaten in the MDR a few times, generally we get the UDP.  The only time we do the MDR is if we are traveling with kids or can't get UDP. We've been known to "snack" our  dinner by getting a few slices of pizza from Sorrento, then the charcuterie plate at Vintages and finish up with salad and dessert in the Windjammer. 

Same. Very concerning…

• Like 1

I've been satisfied with the quality (I mean, it could be better but way better than what I cook at home) but I do find the menus repetitive compared to NCL, esp for those of us who cruise often. The lowest point for me (NCL included in this) is the desserts. I feel like the desserts are SO bad and idk how some of them can taste SO bad. Most nights I just forgo anything on the menu for dessert and get icecream. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, cruiseboy89130 said:

Customer is king!

Their job is to please you - make it easier by telling them what to do!

They have to follow the rules set by the company. Don’t take it out on the person who isn’t responsible for that rule. Complain to mbayley@rccl.com and on the surveys.

BTW, customer IS NOT king anymore to Royal.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

They have to follow the rules set by the company. Don’t take it out on the person who isn’t responsible for that rule. Complain to mbayley@rccl.com and on the surveys.

BTW, customer IS NOT king anymore to Royal.

I don't know the rules and I don't care who sets them - they (eventually) do it the way I want it - that is all that counts for me!

On 8/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, MommaBear55 said:

I feel very badly for all of you who find the food in the MDR better than you eat at home.  We've been known to "snack" our  dinner by getting a few slices of pizza from Sorrento, then the charcuterie plate at Vintages and finish up with salad and dessert in the Windjammer. 

Guess the pizza is okay but the MDR is not. What ? That must be a joke.

Nothing will change until people stop signing up for more cruises. I doubt they even care about the ratings people are giving, all they care about are future bookings. Once those start to drop, maybe they’ll look into why. They are sailing full, there is no incentive to improve the food quality. Plus it drives people to the specialty restaurants, even more profits.