Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

7 minutes ago, Uff da said:

It's not about safety. Both are having labor disputes and stikes are happening off and on or in the case of KLM ground crews, threated to happen very recently. I'm just suggesting you keep an eye on the situation. That can go on for months, even years while they duke it out. Transportation strikes of all sorts are common in Europe. Then again, they could resolve it and everything is fine. There may be no problems at all when you fly. I just want you to be aware. 

American and Southwest have been in negotiations for 3 years. They can't strike right now because of mediation, but if mediation ends (it's coming up on one year soon), it's going to be a problem for people flying as they have already authorized strikes through their unions. I'm praying that doesn't happen because they are my carriers for my next flights. I'm keeping an eye on it so I don't get caught in a sticky situation. I already know what alternate airlines and flights will get me where I need to go should something happen. I'm a planner. 

I am aware of the possibility of strikes. We would actually like to be on Aer Lingus but they currently are more expensive and don’t  have the flights we want. That’s one of our favorites. I’ve already warned the couple traveling with us that we’ll probably be cancelling this and booking another airline as it gets closer. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Several weeks ago I was criticized for recounting a conversation with NCL where I was told that I shouldn't book NCL air if I was picky about my flights.   Several posters thought I was making that  up, that no agent would make such a statement.

I just called the main NCL line yesterday to cancel the air portion of my booking for next summer as I bought flights at about $50 more than the air promo, but got to pick my times etc. and the representative on the phone said I made the right choice. He basically said the air promo works well for some people when headed to Europe etc where flights could be crazy expensive, but for domestic it was better to book them myself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SpanishForker said:

I just called the main NCL line yesterday to cancel the air portion of my booking for next summer as I bought flights at about $50 more than the air promo, but got to pick my times etc. and the representative on the phone said I made the right choice. He basically said the air promo works well for some people when headed to Europe etc where flights could be crazy expensive, but for domestic it was better to book them myself.

Most of those speaking highly of NCL air are booking overseas flights to Europe.  Most of the troubles seem to be domestic flights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mommapadraig said:

I am aware of the possibility of strikes. We would actually like to be on Aer Lingus but they currently are more expensive and don’t  have the flights we want. That’s one of our favorites. I’ve already warned the couple traveling with us that we’ll probably be cancelling this and booking another airline as it gets closer. 

Aer Lingus are running a North American promo at the moment which they seem to do every few months. Personally I’m not a fan of Aer Lingus simply because they tried to sink my local airport, I will avoid them whenever it’s economically viable and I don’t have a connection within the US. 
I am using them for my next cruise as they were the best option to get to Seattle and they had an option that kept me from having to go via Dublin though I am going via Boston to Seattle rather than direct to Seattle. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Most of those speaking highly of NCL air are booking overseas flights to Europe.  Most of the troubles seem to be domestic flights. 

I wouldn’t book it for a strictly domestic trip. Only on the ridiculously expensive destinations. And as of April the Anchorage/Vancouver split ticket was just as expensive as flying to Europe. If it were domestic it wouldn’t have been a problem because I wouldn’t have had to go through security and customs.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I wouldn’t book it for a strictly domestic trip. Only on the ridiculously expensive destinations. And as of April the Anchorage/Vancouver split ticket was just as expensive as flying to Europe. If it were domestic it wouldn’t have been a problem because I wouldn’t have had to go through security and customs.

BTW, love your website.  Used it frequently when planning my last cruise out of NOLA.

• Like 6

I've used NCL air once and have it on my next two cruises.  For the last one, I paid $149.50 for air.  I can't get to Port Canaveral and back for that amount on my own.  For my upcoming, air was $299.50 and I'm leaving from San Juan.

I have not had a bad experience with them but have only used the service once.  I did have a relatively late flight back coming home but I could deal with that.

• Like 5

On 9/6/2023 at 8:37 AM, Saint Greg said:

After that I am ready for a break from the airports. Fortunately four of my next five cruises I'm driving to. I will be flying to Miami in April for an ABC on Horizon.

Another that is on my list. 

3 hours ago, cml4958 said:

I've used NCL air once and have it on my next two cruises.  For the last one, I paid $149.50 for air.  I can't get to Port Canaveral and back for that amount on my own.  For my upcoming, air was $299.50 and I'm leaving from San Juan.

I have not had a bad experience with them but have only used the service once.  I did have a relatively late flight back coming home but I could deal with that.

Have only used NCL's air when flying to the west coast. as I live on the west coast. And the flight back was a nightmare. I had a three-day delay. OK...OK....It was weather caused. haha

Two weeks from last night I will try them for the second time. Going to NY. Flight is a red eye.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Aer Lingus are running a North American promo at the moment which they seem to do every few months. Personally I’m not a fan of Aer Lingus simply because they tried to sink my local airport, I will avoid them whenever it’s economically viable and I don’t have a connection within the US. 
I am using them for my next cruise as they were the best option to get to Seattle and they had an option that kept me from having to go via Dublin though I am going via Boston to Seattle rather than direct to Seattle. 

How did they jeopardize your local airport?  Sounds interesting. I respect your stance.

On 8/27/2023 at 8:09 PM, taznremmy said:

@Saint Greg Beautiful pictures!  Thank you.  Question:  I was reading the sign about the ice worms.  After reading that, I would be afraid to drink the glacial water.  😂

LOL - Ice Worms are Real...
However, here's a little Cheechako Humor for you...

Ballad of the Ice-Worm Cocktail:

https://www.yukon-news.com/opinion/origin-of-the-ballad-of-the-ice-worm-cocktail-uncovered/

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

MMMM...

What - no slice of the Cheese Block 🙂 

I didn’t even see one. Of course I was there right when they opened and I was in a very specific area that could accommodate my suitcase without being in anyone else’s way.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 5:55 AM, ctlyf said:

@Saint Greg I too appreciate your photos... not a popular opinion I realize, but just reaffirms my assertion that I will NEVER go on an Alaskan cruise. Maybe it's because I live in Canada, and am around snow and ice 5-6 months of the year... unless I'm skiing (which I haven't done in probably 10 years), I have no desire to vacation where I have to wear a toque and mittens. I know there's the chance to see wild sea life but I can see whales and sea lions in Cabo just as easily 🙂 

I have to admit - we live in Alaska & we loved the 2 Alaskan Cruises we've been on!

First - Southbound (Diamond Princess) - Whittier to Vancouver

2nd - TransPacific (NCL Jewel)  - Vancouver thru AK to Petropavlovsk, Russia onto Japan & disembark Yokohama (Tokyo), Japan

Hoping to do the TransPacific next Spring Yokohama (Tokyo) back to Seward...

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

How did they jeopardize your local airport?  Sounds interesting. I respect your stance.

They have a few slots for flights to London Heathrow and they had a pair of daily flights out of Shannon to Heathrow that were always full but some genius decided to switch them from Shannon to Belfast which caused major issues for everyone that worked for multi-national companies in Shannon and the surrounding area. I was working for one such company when it happened and we all wound up having to drive to Dublin to get flights to North America, continental Europe and Asia. 

They since moved the slots back to Shannon because there just wasn't sufficient demand out of Belfast. But by the time they moved the link back to Shannon they had annoyed everyone so much that all the business customers now try to avoid them where possible so for European trips so they never returned to full planes all the time.

The really annoying part was it was during the banking collapse so the Irish government actually bought a stake in the airline to help keep them afloat and the politicians ok'd the move to Belfast despite it not being in their jurisdiction. At the time their spokesman on transport was actually from the area hat includes Shannon so he gets ripped to shreds whenever he comes canvassing for re-election by those of us who aren't loyal to his party. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, eileeshb said:

They have a few slots for flights to London Heathrow and they had a pair of daily flights out of Shannon to Heathrow that were always full but some genius decided to switch them from Shannon to Belfast which caused major issues for everyone that worked for multi-national companies in Shannon and the surrounding area. I was working for one such company when it happened and we all wound up having to drive to Dublin to get flights to North America, continental Europe and Asia. 

They since moved the slots back to Shannon because there just wasn't sufficient demand out of Belfast. But by the time they moved the link back to Shannon they had annoyed everyone so much that all the business customers now try to avoid them where possible so for European trips so they never returned to full planes all the time.

The really annoying part was it was during the banking collapse so the Irish government actually bought a stake in the airline to help keep them afloat and the politicians ok'd the move to Belfast despite it not being in their jurisdiction. At the time their spokesman on transport was actually from the area hat includes Shannon so he gets ripped to shreds whenever he comes canvassing for re-election by those of us who aren't loyal to his party. 

I appreciate your excellent explanation.

On 8/31/2023 at 3:06 PM, Saint Greg said:

Looks like modelo owns Coron. Interesting story. When i was 17-22 I lived in west Texas. We used to go down to scuba mexico. Frequented a bar called the corona club. That’s where desparado with Antonio bandaras was filmed. We used to drink carta Blanca. Now people laugh if you try to order that. And if we wanted cheap beer they had $1 beer.. Modelo

LOL  --  Dad & his wife had a winter place in Mission, when I lived in Corpus - actually for many more years than I lived in Corpus...
Anywho...  We'd cross over to Progresso & have $0.25 beers at "The Patio"...

Which was simply a dirt courtyard & you'd buy the beer out a back door & sit on a folding chair.

These visits/trips lasted much longer than I lived in Corpus

Eventually "The Patio" started upgrading - the courtyard had tables & chairs - beer went up to $0.50

They added paving stones - beer went up to $0.75

They added an outdoor bar - beer went up to $1.00
I don't recall in my visits the beer going over the $1.00 mark - however I am sure it went up in time.

It's been years since I've been there - I wonder if "The Patio" still exists...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Von & John said:

LOL  --  Dad & his wife had a winter place in Mission, when I lived in Corpus - actually for many more years than I lived in Corpus...
Anywho...  We'd cross over to Progresso & have $0.25 beers at "The Patio"...

Which was simply a dirt courtyard & you'd buy the beer out a back door & sit on a folding chair.

These visits/trips lasted much longer than I lived in Corpus

Eventually "The Patio" started upgrading - the courtyard had tables & chairs - beer went up to $0.50

They added paving stones - beer went up to $0.75

They added an outdoor bar - beer went up to $1.00
I don't recall in my visits the beer going over the $1.00 mark - however I am sure it went up in time.

It's been years since I've been there - I wonder if "The Patio" still exists...

We winter in Mission (Fiesta Village) and go to Progresso. I don’t remember the Patio but there is one that sounds very similar called the “Rose Garden” .It’s  kind of in an alley on the left hand side about 2 blocks down from where you come in. We normally don’t drink there. No bathroom. We used to go to our favorite bar called Elsa’s but the owner wouldn’t pay the cartel so now it’s a pharmacy. Now We usually go to Jessica’s. One stop shopping.Pharmacy,restaurant, bar and musical entertainment. Plus bathrooms that flush.We aren’t sure what we pay for drinks. We think it’s 2.00 for a beer and 3.00 for a margarita that is too strong for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

OK - I Have to ask...
I've caught up 29 pages in the past 2 days - up to page 50 & no Whataburger packets...
First no monkey - now no Whataburger - what's happening to this world?

Both make an appearance at some point. I can’t remember where though 😂

• Haha 3