Free Prepaid Service Charges

swafly5909

17 hours ago, swafly5909 said:

One of our incentives on our cruise this fall was "free prepaid services charges" for two people in our cabin. It sounds like that's gratuities. So...how does that work?? Does this incentive end up meaning no tips for the crew members? Or does NCL pay their tips? Or does it simply mean the gratuities are not automatically added to our bill and we get to make the decision about what to tip - making this incentive not really a discount? I want to make sure we're not swindling anyone of hard-earned tips. 

No it is the daily service charge just as it says.  There are no gratuities to pre pay (other than on FAS items and things such as specialty dining packages).  DSC has nothing to do with tips.  YOu tip on board to whomever you wnat to tip in any amount you wnat to tip them/

5 hours ago, swafly5909 said:

Ugh, thanks for the heads up. 

It wasn’t clear to me when we booked WHO was offering the prepaid incentive - if it was the cruise line or the TA. Sounds like it’s most commonly the TA. 

Our cruise did go down in price some, but the cruise line changed policies and doesn’t give you the lower rate - they gave us future credit for the difference instead. Bummer, but I def see how that’s a better deal for them. Maybe we’ll get a chance to use it…? 

The OP was talking about price changes before final payment.  You can still take advantage of price changes before final payment but it may take away benefits that the TA provides because they are now getting paid less.  It can also take away any NCL perks that have changed since you booked.  The FAS perks don't normally change but perks like double Latitude points can change. 

39 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

No it is the daily service charge just as it says.  There are no gratuities to pre pay (other than on FAS items and things such as specialty dining packages).  DSC has nothing to do with tips.  YOu tip on board to whomever you wnat to tip in any amount you wnat to tip them/

DSC and tips and prepaid gratuities are all the same.  You can tip extra if you want to.  

Years ago tipping was done by leaving envelopes with money earmarked for your cabin steward, waiters, etc..  Back in the day there were no drink packages with 20% prepaid gratuities like there are now.  

I remember when NCL transitioned from tip envelopes to prepaid service charges the new added fees were sold as a convenient way to enjoy your cruise without stressing about who and what amount to tip.

• Like 1

I also saw the add - it really makes you think that NCL is making the offer. Yes I have seen this as an offical NCL offer several years ago. Large TAs often block off a large group of cabins in all catagories so they can get a huge discount from NCL. This allows them to offer additional perks as well as fare discounts. They also have their own Terms and Conditions that can often mean things like a non-refundable deposit as well as other restrictions. As always buyer beware. As for the Daily Service Charge it can be either prepaid or pay as you go on your shipboard account. While you can reduce this amount, you probably should have a very good reason for it. But this would only apply to the pay as you go option. I usually pre pay them because it does two things, it simplifies my onboard account and it freezes the amount at todays rate (it seems that they raise the amount every year).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Are you allowed (by Cruise Critic) to name the online TA?  I was looking at one and realized at the end there was no opportunity to use my Cruise First certificate. Which made me realize that allowing you to do so must be one of their perks that changes because I have seen the online websites advertise them.  And also, the one I was looking at did pay gratuities but when you read the fine print it was only for balcony and above (or maybe not even balcony, cant remember) So in the end the fare was the same as the NCL website.

Can't say the TA here.  We have an inside cabin and they pay the gratuities.  We also used Cruise Next and Cruise First certificates. Due to them paying the gratuities we have 6 cruises booked with NCL. It makes a huge difference. 

18 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I figured naming travel agents would not be allowed. I will look around.  I also didnt speak to anyone, that could possibly make a difference. But I do know paid gratuities did not apply to inside cabins. I know I didnt misunderstand. Not sure about the other perks. Thanks

Actually, we have an inside cabin and our TA does include gratuities on NCL.

14 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Without naming names, is this an online based TA that is well known?  Just wondering if I should try switching my booking to the TA that I use that is of the same group that I might be thinking of.  That is a very good deal.

Yes it is, we have used them several times over the years but I see they are no longer offering this perk. They were paying the gratuities on all cabins except guarantees.  They also take either cruise next or cruise first. We also received onboard credits on each cruise

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Actually, we have an inside cabin and our TA does include gratuities on NCL.

I wasnt clear when I wrote my response.  I meant that the websites I checked didnt include gratuities for less expensive cabins. I will keep looking

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Can't say the TA here.  We have an inside cabin and they pay the gratuities.  We also used Cruise Next and Cruise First certificates. Due to them paying the gratuities we have 6 cruises booked with NCL. It makes a huge difference. 

You could always ask your friend the TA to register for Cruise Critic and become acquainted with other cruisers. I understand CC's reasoning in not wanting TA's to bombard the boards with solicitations for business, but at the same time, they disabled the private message function, which would have allowed people to share their TA's contact info privately. And I suspect they had their reasons for disabling PM's, but it has had a negative, if unintentional, consequence.

Edited by DCGuy64

13 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You could always ask your friend the TA to register for Cruise Critic and become acquainted with other cruisers. I understand CC's reasoning in not wanting TA's to bombard the boards with solicitations for business, but at the same time, they disabled the private message function, which would have allowed people to share their TA's contact info privately. And I suspect they had their reasons for disabling PM's, but it has had a negative, if unintentional, consequence.

There's a little bit of wiggle room allowed in one's signature, if a travel agent chooses to use it. I don't as I'd rather not deal with more than just friends and family. But yes, a travel agent could become acquainted with us (why would they want to - we're so nitpicky!). 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Those consequences are fully intentional.

Cruise Critic partners with multiple travel agencies who don't want the competition.

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Those consequences are fully intentional.

Cruise Critic partners with multiple travel agencies who don't want the competition.

*sigh* That's too bad. We book 100% of our cruises with our own TA, he's never let us down. And he's on here but I can't mention his name.

I have searched a couple more of the online travel agents and none of them pay gratuities unless you book a balcony or suite.  If there is one I havent checked yet that does, it may depend on your total bill. Tell me your agent paid gratuities for you, a solo traveler, in an inside cabin and I will keep looking.   Probably very little profit in this situation.

4 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I have searched a couple more of the online travel agents and none of them pay gratuities unless you book a balcony or suite.  If there is one I havent checked yet that does, it may depend on your total bill. Tell me your agent paid gratuities for you, a solo traveler, in an inside cabin and I will keep looking.   Probably very little profit in this situation.

Seaching for bargains on the internet is a waste of time.  Cruise line prohibit Travel Agents from advertising reduced fares or other bargains not offered by the cruise lines.  You have to call the agents and ask about their offers.   It's doubtful that any TA is going to offer significant savings on anything less than a balcony.

49 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Seaching for bargains on the internet is a waste of time.  Cruise line prohibit Travel Agents from advertising reduced fares or other bargains not offered by the cruise lines.  You have to call the agents and ask about their offers.   It's doubtful that any TA is going to offer significant savings on anything less than a balcony.

They do advertise other bargains not offered by the cruise lines- the OBC credit they give you and paid gratuities. You have to go to the fine print to read what the details are but they are visibly showing offers not offered by the cruise line - to certain level of passenger.  I agree with you on who gets the xtra offers. Not much to be made from 1 person in an inside cabin. 

On 8/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I use a small owner operated travel agency, just herself and one other woman.  Many CC posters use and speak well of her services.  

It's one of my biggest complaints about CC is the prohibition on discussing specific travel agents.  CC claims this is too prevent these forums from being clogged by TA seeking business.  I would point out that CC allows some TA to advertise on their home page.  None of who discount.

About your use of the word "discount". Several years ago, some cruise lines (including NCL & RCCL) changed policy on pricing. They no longer allow anyone to sell cruises for a price other than what they are offering themselves at any point in time. Some TA's will offer incentives like prepaid gratuities, on board credits (or additional credits to those offered by the cruise company) or post-cruise gift cards or cash back to gain your business. But the cabin price is totally set by the cruise line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

When we booked our six the TA we used was paying gratuities for all categories except for guarantee, even studio and inside cabins. We booked insides.  I looked today and they are no longer offering that incentive. Glad we booked the six cruises when we did.

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

About your use of the word "discount". Several years ago, some cruise lines (including NCL & RCCL) changed policy on pricing. They no longer allow anyone to sell cruises for a price other than what they are offering themselves at any point in time. Some TA's will offer incentives like prepaid gratuities, on board credits (or additional credits to those offered by the cruise company) or post-cruise gift cards or cash back to gain your business. But the cabin price is totally set by the cruise line.

The policy prohibits a TA from advertising a price below that charged by the cruise line.  An outright requirement that the TA adhere to the cruise lines prices would be against the law.  That would be price fixing which is prohibited by state and federal law. 

The main effect of that policy is to give some TA an excuse not to charge less than the cruise line.  If you're willing to expend the effort, you can find TA that will reduce the net price you will pay.  They cannot advertise those prices but, if you call the TA, you can save 8 to 12% of the cruise line prices shown on their website.

They may call it a discount, OBC, or cash back rebates, but the net effect remains the same, a significant price savings below that charged by the cruise line.   Those are distinctions without a difference since the net effect is the same.  Eight to twelve percent is typical.

BTW, another effect of the 'policy' is that it perpetuates the myth that the lowest prices are those offered by the cruise line.  It is simply not in cruise lines best interest for you to be shopping around.

Edited by RocketMan275

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The policy prohibits a TA from advertising a price below that charged by the cruise line.  An outright requirement that the TA adhere to the cruise lines prices would be against the law.  That would be price fixing which is prohibited by state and federal law. 

The main effect of that policy is to give some TA an excuse not to charge less than the cruise line.  If you're willing to expend the effort, you can find TA that will reduce the net price you will pay.  They cannot advertise those prices but, if you call the TA, you can save 8 to 12% of the cruise line prices shown on their website.

They may call it a discount, OBC, or cash back rebates, but the net effect remains the same, a significant price savings below that charged by the cruise line.   Those are distinctions without a difference since the net effect is the same.  Eight to twelve percent is typical.

BTW, another effect of the 'policy' is that it perpetuates the myth that the lowest prices are those offered by the cruise line.  It is simply not in cruise lines best interest for you to be shopping around.

Thanks, RocketMan, for launching your insightful response.

Viewing the transaction in terms of a net price is spot on.

By the way, for my recent booking for an NCL cruise this January, my TA perks come to 14.4%, with daily gratuities nearly 8% of the total.

6 hours ago, destar said:

I haven't found a TA that offers me anything more than NCL website. I book directly with NCL and get current promotions, military discount and the shareholder benefit.

Typically, a TA will offer everything that the cruise line does - and possibly more.

Since names shall not me uttered here, I suggest you do an online search, such as "cruise discounts". Check out a few (not the ones linked back to the lines) and you will spot TA's who do more. I've been doing it for years. One I used some years ago was recommended by a friend. Later, I found one more generous on my own. Good luck saving!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

When we booked our six the TA we used was paying gratuities for all categories except for guarantee, even studio and inside cabins. We booked insides.  I looked today and they are no longer offering that incentive. Glad we booked the six cruises when we did.

Did they advertise these extras online?  Otherwise the 6 cruises might have been an incentive lol

On 8/23/2023 at 4:45 PM, seemoreroyals said:

DSC and tips and prepaid gratuities are all the same.  You can tip extra if you want to.  

Years ago tipping was done by leaving envelopes with money earmarked for your cabin steward, waiters, etc..  Back in the day there were no drink packages with 20% prepaid gratuities like there are now.  

I remember when NCL transitioned from tip envelopes to prepaid service charges the new added fees were sold as a convenient way to enjoy your cruise without stressing about who and what amount to tip.

Definitely is a stress reducer!  Yet some people still want to remove them . Not so much on this forum, or they dont talk about it, but on another forum I was once on.  

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 8:22 AM, dcipjr said:

At the risk of causing another inflammatory tipping thread, NCL has eliminated most of the "discretionary" wording from their site: see this link.

Now it's just the "onboard service charge". A few pages still say "discretionary" but many don't.

It can definitely be adjusted upwards or downwards, or eliminated—but NCL's expectation is that you'll be paying $20/day.

I thought the DSC now is DAILY service charge