MDR extra entree charge

gizfish

The way the new extra entree charge info on menus is written is confusing.  It seems like it's a one time $5 charge for any additional entrees.  Or, are they charging $5 for EACH entree ordered after the first?  Also, anyone have experience with ordering an entree and also ordering an additional entree but as a starter portion?  Does that incur the charge? 

4 hours ago, Tierun said:

You can’t order an entree for your starter to get around the fee.

The OP wasn't asking about having a full size  entree portion.  He was asking about having a  starter (appetizer, primo ) size.

I would be very surprised if someone who is dining following the traditionally flow of Italian meals and asks for  the pasta dish as a primo course would be charged.

This is in keeping with past practice  on MSC of making available any pasta as either an entree or primo.

24 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The OP wasn't asking about having a full size  entree portion.  He was asking about having a  starter (appetizer, primo ) size.

I would be very surprised if someone who is dining following the traditionally flow of Italian meals and asks for  the pasta dish as a primo course would be charged.

This is in keeping with past practice  on MSC of making available any pasta as either an entree or primo.

I misread the question OP asked. Honest mistake.

16 hours ago, Tierun said:

Get as many appetizers as you want, but each additional entree will cost you $5. You can’t order an entree for your starter to get around the fee.

Have you actually experienced the $5 for each additional entree, or are you interpreting from what the menu says, "A surcharge of $5 for second entree or more applies."  That is clearly unclear.  It can easily be interpreted as one surcharge total for seconds or more, or each additional has a surcharge.   I read the whole other thread on this, and no one had first hand experience with the charge which is why I am asking.

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

Have you actually experienced the $5 for each additional entree, or are you interpreting from what the menu says, "A surcharge of $5 for second entree or more applies."  That is clearly unclear.  It can easily be interpreted as one surcharge total for seconds or more, or each additional has a surcharge.   I read the whole other thread on this, and no one had first hand experience with the charge which is why I am asking.

Info came from a live report earlier this month.

2 hours ago, Tierun said:

Info came from a live report earlier this month.

That might have been from my Live from on Seaside.  The couple at the table next to me ordered an extra entree.  After they left I asked my waiter if they were charged, and he said yes.  EM

51 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

That might have been from my Live from on Seaside.  The couple at the table next to me ordered an extra entree.  After they left I asked my waiter if they were charged, and he said yes.  EM

I thought it was from you, but your live was took long for me search through to be certain.

13 hours ago, Tierun said:

I thought it was from you, but your live was took long for me search through to be certain.

My question is still about the more than two entrees.  I remember reading the live report which was not specific about what was charged or for how many entrees. 

I am still hoping for someone with actual experience to give a clear answer.  

As a heavier cruiser I do get some of the frustration, but I also get why MSC is doing this. There's so much waste on board it's ridiculous. With that said, I don't know if I've ever ordered a second entrée. I think I've inquired about a recommendation between two entrée options and have been given two by a kindly waiter or waitress, or have been offered an appetizer portion of an entrée. 

Most dinners in the MDR for me involve two apps (a Caesar salad or soup and one nightly app), one entrée from the list that changes daily, and one dessert. If the menu has two entrees that really interest me, I'd probably just express interest in both, ask for a recommendation, and see what happens. If I really need to try both, I guess I'm just out an extra $5 which over the course of a cruise isn't a big expense since I don't intend to pig out at every MDR dinner.  

Someone mentioned that the $5 charge was not applicable if you ordered the second entree from the "everyday" choices.  Sometimes we like to try new dishes and if we do not care for them we can order something else.  I know this sounds wasteful.  Maybe if we see something we would like to try only one of us will order it and the other order a dish we know we like and share. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Now you know why the $5 for extra entrees were put in place.

Unfortunately, in the US market, MSC started to attract cruisers who do not understand the concept of dinner as a social event to enjoy family and friends.

Instead, there is the "Gobble and Go" set - fill the trough with what they might consider the premium offerings (two steaks and ten lobster tails, please), place it down, dive in and be gone in an half hour.

There is no time to enjoy the excellent starters,  salad, and pasta as a primo course.  Just slop the table and dive in.

Extremely offensive stereotyping. 
Shameful!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Someone mentioned that the $5 charge was not applicable if you ordered the second entree from the "everyday" choices.  Sometimes we like to try new dishes and if we do not care for them we can order something else.  I know this sounds wasteful.  Maybe if we see something we would like to try only one of us will order it and the other order a dish we know we like and share. 

This is not true.  All entrees, from the chef’s choice on the main side and from the Mac & cheese down on the comfort side are included.  And talk about waste, the person next to me who ordered the extra entree on,y took one bite that I could see.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

51 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

This is not true.  All entrees, from the chef’s choice on the main side and from the Mac & cheese down on the comfort side are included.  And talk about waste, the person next to me who ordered the extra entree on,y took one bite that I could see.  EM

I'm sorry if I didn't know the right term to use being I will have my first MSC cruise in October.  As I said I heard the fee was NOT applicable to the choices that are on every day.