Luggage Service Recommendation

LewiLewi

Last year we used Luggage Forward. Main reason for using this was due to the major issues with luggage issues in many airports. It was our first time to use this feature.

We had no problems at all, found it to be well worth the £. 
There are very strict rules re certain toiletries and batteries that are not allowed to be included, but as long as you read this carefully and follow the instructions it’s a great service.   Jean.

• Thanks 1

We also used Luggage Forward last year.  Our luggage showed up at the cabin on embarking, and the Luggage Forward agent was readily available upon clearing customs on disembarkation.  Everything ran smoothly and they were very quick in answering questions and adding a bag pre-cruise.  We really were happy with them.  Luggage Forward is also the company that Regent uses for World and Grand cruises.  

They aren't cheap, but we thought it was worth it for us. 

• Thanks 1

Have used Luggage Forward 20 times.

Flawless

I disagree that Luggage Free is just as good for following reasons.

1.no toiletries allowed?

2.  on a shipment to Chile pre Antarctica cruise, Luggage Free told me I had to pick up bags at a customs station (they're not permitted to ship to the hotel).  Luggage orward shipped to my hotel no problem 

9 minutes ago, bitob said:

Have used Luggage Forward 20 times.

Flawless

I disagree that Luggage Free is just as good for following reasons.

1.no toiletries allowed?

2.  on a shipment to Chile pre Antarctica cruise, Luggage Free told me I had to pick up bags at a customs station (they're not permitted to ship to the hotel).  Luggage orward shipped to my hotel no problem 

They should both have exactly the same rules - I use both for clients - they both used Fedex or DHL and that is where the restrictions come from. Other than that - they just send a minimum wage employee to your house and then the bags go to the shipper. I've found that country-specific rules change all the time and those changes will be picked up by both companies. When I ship my personal bags to Regent, I always use Luggage Free.

They don't have the same rules - that is my experience.  The Chile situation was a case in point.

I always ship my bags

I just shipped 3 bags to NY yesterday

Luggage Forward using UPS

The UPS guy yesterday was better than minimum wage employee.  I had made an error and he caught it.    I accidentally put one of the Leg 2 labels on Leg 1 shipping.  Life saver.

This from Luggage Free website

General Prohibited Items:

• Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.)

Who wants to take toiletries on plane in limited amounts??

I want to ship all my toiletries.

Only toiletry prohibited by Luggage Forward is aerosols.

I repeat - they are not the same

• Thanks 1

Used Luggage Forward for the WC. In addition to aerosols, they also prohibited anything with alcohol, e.g. mouthwash, nail polish, etc. Coming home from Barcelona, it was basically no toiletries at all. As noted above, it depends on country and shipping company, not the luggage forwarders.

I use Luggage Forward often--I used them this January and May and many other times---- They are picking up my luggage again in several weeks.  

The instructions are always the same-- no liquids- creams-aerosols. lithium batteries-- The recently banned item that bothered me was no apple tags. I follow their rules and have never have a problem. 

A problem arises if your bag is opened to remove suspected banned items. Your luggage can be delayed,

I pack the banned items in my carry on and check the bag. 

I have also used Luggage Free and they have the same rules.

I put Air Tags in my bags all the time

Not an issue

Liquids and creams are definitely allowed in Luggage Forward bags but NOT in Luggage Free (per their website)

My bags that are en route now to their destination are loaded with all kinds of cosmetics, liquids and creams (and AirTags).

Prohibited items from Luggage Forward website

Are there any items I cannot send?
  • Medication, OTC, prescription, or vitamins.
  • Food & Alcohol.
  • Perfume (or anything with alcohol content)
  • Pressurized Containers (aerosol, CO2 cartridges, etc)
  • Valuables or Currency.
  • Electronics.
  • Lithium based, or Alkaline batteries.

Creams and lotions and all kinds of toiletries (non alcohol)are permitted (contrast that with Luggage Free).

I am willing to take my chances with the air tags.  I have never had a problem nor have any of my friends who use the service.

Edited by bitob

Luggage Free

• Are there any restricted items I cannot send?

No restricted commodities are permitted in your shipment. This includes:

• Alcoholic beverages, medicinal or toilet articles including aerosols such as hair sprays, perfumes, colognes, and medicines containing alcohol.
    • Consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium-ion cells or batteries (e.g., calculators, cell phones, laptop computers, etc.)
    • Perishables, including food, foodstuffs, and beverages requiring refrigeration or other environmental controls, plants, pharmaceuticals. Tobacco, cigarettes, tobacco products. Anything you would not carry or check on a passenger plane. This includes, but is not limited to explosives, fireworks and ammunition.

Certain countries have restrictions on what items are allowed through customs. Please contact a Luggage Free representative to find out if there are any specific restrictions that apply to your international shipment.

21 hours ago, bitob said:

I put Air Tags in my bags all the time

Not an issue

Liquids and creams are definitely allowed in Luggage Forward bags but NOT in Luggage Free (per their website)

My bags that are en route now to their destination are loaded with all kinds of cosmetics, liquids and creams (and AirTags).

Prohibited items from Luggage Forward website

Are there any items I cannot send?
  • Medication, OTC, prescription, or vitamins.
  • Food & Alcohol.
  • Perfume (or anything with alcohol content)
  • Pressurized Containers (aerosol, CO2 cartridges, etc)
  • Valuables or Currency.
  • Electronics.
  • Lithium based, or Alkaline batteries.

Creams and lotions and all kinds of toiletries (non alcohol)are permitted (contrast that with Luggage Free).

I am willing to take my chances with the air tags.  I have never had a problem nor have any of my friends who use the service.

If you go into the Terms and Conditions page on Luggage Forward there is this specific line: 

"Batteries including all wet or lithium batteries including, but not limited to, batteries integrated within electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops, tablets personal audio devices, and tracking devices such as AirTags"

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

I did not say they are permitted 

I said I put them in all the time and it’s never an issue 

Just clearing it up for the other posters who may have considered your comment as saying the ARE permitted.  Your posted list did not include AirTags however the Terms and Conditions specifically forbids them.  No judgement here. 

• Thanks 1

We have used both services which ever the ship was using for years. We have had no issues with either and our bags have always made it safely to the ship and home except once! We had to travel to customs clearing center at the port of entry because I had unknowing packed something that wasn’t allowed. 
That was some years ago, since then I read the instructions for dos and don’t every carefully. And follow them!!! Basically I pack clothes and books only. We carry one carry one each that we check for the various liquid stuff even for longer Grand and WCs one bag each is plenty.YMMV

• Like 1

13 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

At this time, Regent partners with Luggage Forward.  No reason to think. that will change.  

Agree. Luggage Forward already contacted us regarding the arrangements for our December Grand voyage.

• Like 1

We're considering using Luggage Forward for a November cruise. We've never shipped luggage before. The online form wants a local phone number at the destination.

I'll probably call tomorrow but am wondering---would that be the number for the ship? There is a number on our preliminary cruise summary from Regent for contacting a passenger on board. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Flgreg said:

We're considering using Luggage Forward for a November cruise. We've never shipped luggage before. The online form wants a local phone number at the destination.

I'll probably call tomorrow but am wondering---would that be the number for the ship? There is a number on our preliminary cruise summary from Regent for contacting a passenger on board. 

Thanks.

That would be the number for Regent's Port Agent in the port you are leaving from. Regent can provide it to you.