Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Just finished my final walk as tomorrow I will be taking Alison home.   

Talking about sticker shock I thought I would share a picture of our Gas prices.  California has a special blend to reduce carbon emissions but really ups our gas prices. 

IMG_6482.thumb.jpeg.85e8741f488626df0fdb8de1def2df40.jpeg

Now about Silicon Valley.  All of fixed building are required to install art pieces to add to the community.  

This is actually installed at the light rail stop and always puts a smile on my face.   During the pandemic the gator a children were wearing masks.  

IMG_6484.thumb.jpeg.39ea5af220b961416d5eb887d838f2f6.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I was looking at that itinerary last week!   HAL has some really nice long itineraries.  I guess I'm going to have to jump on a short HAL sailing to see if it's a match.  Only problem is the old ships that do these voyages don't do short Caribbean sailings.  I think one does Alaska which doesn't really interest as a cheap trial cruise as we live on the east coast.

Ships in that class seem to be like the M class which we do like.

We’re doing a 21 night rt Boston to Panama Canal (not full transit) on HAL in Oct 24. Other than our first cruise on NCL we’ve only done Celebrity (& 4 Royal). I kind of feel like we’re jumping ship!

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Talking about sticker shock I thought I would share a picture of our Gas prices.  California has a special blend to reduce carbon emissions but really ups our gas prices. 

Gas prices here today are $1.65 a litre (Europe is worse)

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Make sure you catch enough for 160 plus crew and I'm sure I can talk the Chef into preparing it.      When I see your boat pull alongside I will buy you a drink.

I will accept Calvados only - the only appropriate drink within French environment!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Ponant gave us 75% refund for our Shmandemic cruise - 12-day March 8-20 on Le Soleal, Eastern Island to Tahiti that became cruise to nowhere and lasted extra 4 days until March 25.  That refund made us the next 13-day cruise free.

That is good to hear.  I am sure we will sail Paul Gauguin again.  And, this time it will be under Ponant.  Thanks for posting.  😊

Edited by Texed

Been really slow in getting a place booked in Toronto.   I was trying to nail down some plans with two couple we want to visit with in Toronto.    All came together today and found Mid-Town the best location for us.  

We really enjoy booking an Apartment on AirBnB when staying more than one night, and they did not disappoint.

The have a class of "Supper Hosts" which indicate a host with High Standards and No Complaints.    I generally start out by filtering on Super Hosts. -

I narrowed it down to 2 places and Iain chose this one -  Priced at $181 a night seemed like a steal after looking at many of the 5* hotels.

16673a99-c954-4d25-afae-88d9911d65c2.webp.49c37613e4c37e380d64a723552a6fce.webp

129fc646-f20f-4ecf-807b-6ed3b63de3f2.webp.ffc18f6195eddf2a84d18683c3d5e0af.webp

827e61d7-cf72-44df-ae5d-caa40bdc0e30.webp.7296148acf370ab95e56cf80466f32df.webp

5db58c49-a5d8-4f1e-8613-efac28baa43c.thumb.webp.44454b919edbaa6f8968c563daed14b3.webp

601793fd-83a4-4fad-8936-9ef25d773b28.webp

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad you enjoyed the British Isles Cruise.   Did you happen to make it to the Shetlands.

We have been very lucky this year as we watch the rest of the country suffering in the terrible heat.    We have had only a couple days of oppressive heat and most of the summer was in the 75-80 range.    I think I only switched on the AC twice.

Today it is sitting at 73 F with a nice breeze.

No I wish we did shetlands.  We ended up at indvergordon like you did and enjoyed Inverness.   

• Like 1

Been really slow in getting a place booked in Toronto.   I was trying to nail down some plans with two couple we want to visit with in Toronto.    All came together today and found Mid-Town the best location for us.  

We really enjoy booking an Apartment on AirBnB when staying more than one night, and they did not disappoint.

The have a class of "Supper Hosts" which indicate a host with High Standards and No Complaints.    I generally start out by filtering on Super Hosts. -

Just a Heads Up for All.  We used to do a lot of VRBO's and some Airbnb's in the early days.  It got to the point that many places were not as advertised, included a lot of extra fees, and cancellation time requirements were too strict. Normal hotel prices/ cancellation requirements ended up much better, especially if you have a hotel loyalty program.

What really turned us off is... We bought a second home in a small gated association community, a first floor unit in a 4 plex (35 units in all).  Minimum 30 day short term rentals allowed.  Two years ago, a young couple (37-40) bought the unit above us.  They started advertising it on Airbnb before they even closed on it.  They are techies and made lots of false reviews even before anyone stayed there.  He even bragged that all owners do that now.  They were Super Hosts in a heart beat.  Hopefully, our association will get them removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

ah damn I just googled the price for Windsor I didn’t actually leave the house. Although do need to top up as I have to go to Toronto area for work next week

can you get to Costco just off 401 and Wellington in London?   if you are a member their prices are the best

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is incredible.   Japan is really an amazing destination and we found it incredible easy to get around on their high speed railway.  

Did you have one area in particular you enjoyed the most?

We always enjoy Kyoto due to its cultural history and historical sights, but Kanazawa, Amori, Akita, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are all unique in their own ways. 

I had a work assignment in Japan and we were afforded the good fortune and opportunity to be able to travel to many places in the country. While thee we also took a 14 day circumferential Japan cruise on Azamara. A big plus for that cruise, aside from a wonderful experience on Azamara, was we only had to take a  5 minute taxi ride to the Harumi cruise terminal for embarkation. Wonderful!

We hadn’t traveled north in all of our internal travels in Japan. This visit was to include visits to Hakaito and Sapporo. Unfortunately a typhoon intervened and disrupted the Shinkansen schedule so we altered our plans and stayed central ending up back in Tokyo for out last week. 

With that said, we haven’t found an area, or city, which we haven’t totally enjoyed. A truly wonderful country and culture. Looking forward to our next visit 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

was $6.62/gallon for regular in SW Ontario today

That is incredible. 

Ok I"m going to show my age.    When in College I had a Corvette that got about 8-10 miles to the gallon.     At that time gas would run in the range of 25 cents to 35 cents a gallon.   A couple dollars would keep me going.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cluso said:

Just a Heads Up for All.  We used to do a lot of VRBO's and some Airbnb's in the early days.  It got to the point that many places were not as advertised, included a lot of extra fees, and cancellation time requirements were too strict. Normal hotel prices/ cancellation requirements ended up much better, especially if you have a hotel loyalty program.

What really turned us off is... We bought a second home in a small gated association community, a first floor unit in a 4 plex (35 units in all).  Minimum 30 day short term rentals allowed.  Two years ago, a young couple (37-40) bought the unit above us.  They started advertising it on Airbnb before they even closed on it.  They are techies and made lots of false reviews even before anyone stayed there.  He even bragged that all owners do that now.  They were Super Hosts in a heart beat.  Hopefully, our association will get them removed.

Sorry to hear of your negative experiences.     We have rented about 30 times from them and had fantastic experiences.    I do a lot of research and try to stick with Super Hosts with lots of reviews.   We also don't look in the lowest price ranges.  

As for Pricing -   You are correct -   In addition to the price initially shown isn't the final price.   Before you commmit it lists all costs and include a AirBnB booking Fee and a cleaning fee.     

This will also occur with most booking sites for Royal York Hotel.  The total price shown in small print include $346 in Taxes and Fees.

image.png.60e0545fb702adf38e0984b24d762f06.png

Example for a hotel I was looking at has approximately $260 in added taxes and fees.

For our AirBnB -   here's the breakdown of Taxes and Fees

image.thumb.png.f1864b6b0b91bf1f92cf18b7f8a636d9.png

image.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, juanrod said:

No I wish we did shetlands.  We ended up at indvergordon like you did and enjoyed Inverness.   

We've been in Shetlands (August); the high temperature was 48 F.  The island (including ponies) was beautiful. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your negative experiences.     We have rented about 30 times from them and had fantastic experiences.    I do a lot of research and try to stick with Super Hosts with lots of reviews.   We also don't look in the lowest price ranges

We did the same research as you.  Our son built a casita as part of his home and was one of the first 100 Airbnb owners. I think he listed it for about 5 years before customer burnout.  We got to stay for free 😁

I forgot to mention, the owners upstairs are renting it out for 1 day minimum.  Not cool.  🙄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I narrowed it down to 2 places and Iain chose this one -  Priced at $181 a night seemed like a steal after looking at many of the 5* hotels.

That looks wonderful.  Please share info on name after you've stayed there.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Jim, have a wonderful trip and I will look forward to your informative reviews.  Please, don’t forget your passports.  

Ohhh.... don't remind me.    I don't think I need a covid card but will be bringing it along and a number of Covid Tests.....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

That looks wonderful.  Please share info on name after you've stayed there.  Thanks.

I may be different but love contemporary and always look for flats with nice fittings and lots of good ratings.

If you recall that one we had in Lymington, UK to quarantine in.      Since we have a two week break between the Cunard TA and our Celebrity TA I have a feeling we will try to book it again for a week.   We had one in Venice that on the 3rd visit worked out a deal to  book it direct without the AirBnB additional fees.

• Like 1