Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

11 hours ago, Guera53 said:

Crystal Cruises & Windstar are worth looking at as well:)

At this time we are starting to feel like we have recently been separated from a long term marriage an first tiptoeing through the dating situations.  We have looked at Crystal an are impressed.

• Like 1

The flights were both early and had really friendly and attentive flight crew.   I was particularly amused by one that reminded me about my seat belt before take off -   "We have a really good pilot but I would recommend fastening you seat belt" 

Milwaukee has a beautiful airport terminal.   Very well laid out and efficient.   Our bags literally arrived within 10 minutes of landing.

Lyft won the price war again and the cheapest rate had a 3 minute wait time.   The driver arrived exactly at 3 minutes.

We are staying at Residence Inn on Plankington Avenue.    The hotel was about a 15 minute $21 Lyft ride away. 

The building looks very new and is located on the river.   I was surprised to learn tat th property was originally built a Gimble's Department Store in 1900.   I have fond memories of Gimbe's in Philadelphia as a child.  The building has gone through a number of major renovations before becoming a Conference Center and Hotel.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are staying at Residence Inn on Plankington Avenue.

I do love the Residence Inns, lost count of the number of nights I've stayed in them over the years.

Just like having your own apartment and the prices are usually very reasonable.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I do love the Residence Inns, lost count of the number of nights I've stayed in them over the years.

Just like having your own apartment and the prices are usually very reasonable.

I agree.   For years I was a Software Project Manager for a Swedish Software Company.    When we did an install I would have to commute to my customers sites so would commute on Monday's and Fridays.   My worst commute was Providence RI Sunday Night to Friday.

Residence Inn was one of my favorites.    What made the commute easier was staying on local time.   On Friday Mornings I would drop off my laundry and we would leave our suitcases with the front desk.   With no luggage it really made it easy. 

• Like 1

My main task last night was to get my techy gadgets setup.   Small Travel Router and two Firestick's.     

Residence Inn offers 2 types of Internet - Free and Premium.   I checked out the free and definitely good enough for my needs.   8 Mg up and 8 Mg down.

The one thing I like about the Firestick is that it has a built in VPN app for Nord and Express VPN.     I logged into SF and now able to watch our home TV using YourTubeTV. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

My worst commute was Providence RI Sunday Night to Friday.

I spent 12 years (pre-Covid) commuting from London to Dallas, or New York once or twice a month.

Had an apartment in Dallas, but used Residence Inn in White Plains for New York, definitely helped keep me sane.

I used to be in the hotel trade, that was worse as you never really got to see much outside of the hotel that you were heading to.

Anyway, enjoy your stay there, ideal room if one partner snores 🙂

Just now, Mark_T said:

I spent 12 years (pre-Covid) commuting from London to Dallas, or New York once or twice a month.

Had an apartment in Dallas, but used Residence Inn in White Plains for New York, definitely helped keep me sane.

I used to be in the hotel trade, that was worse as you never really got to see much outside of the hotel that you were heading to.

Anyway, enjoy your stay there, ideal room if one partner snores 🙂

Another road warrior.       When running a company in Dublin, Ireland I us to have to fly home to San Francisco once a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The building looks very new and is located on the river.   I was surprised to learn tat th property was originally built a Gimble's Department Store in 1900.   I have fond memories of Gimbe's in Philadelphia as a child.  The building has gone through a number of major renovations before becoming a Conference Center and Hotel.

Jim:

How interesting.  My parents met while both were working at Gimbel's in Milwaukee.  This would have been in the 1930's.  Everybody from that generation is gone, but I assume this must have been where it was, and Google suggests that it is.  I will have to check it out next time I am in Milwaukee.

Tom & Judy

We stayed at a local Residence Inn while our current  home was being built 11 years ago, $45 a night on a long term basis, we were there for three months. What a deal, included daily breakfast and dinner four nights a week. They always had an abundance of snacks set out and a bus to take you where you wanted to go. I “ almost” hated to leave!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Always enjoyed the work, but it is good when it stops as well...

I thought I would be totally bored in retirement.   Nothing could be further from the truth.   We now often wonder how we ever got anything done when we were working.

I think my favorite part of retirement is the ability to Travel whenever we want instead of trying to find a 2 week slot that would work for both of our Corporate Calendars.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, TFree said:

Jim:

How interesting.  My parents met while both were working at Gimbel's in Milwaukee.  This would have been in the 1930's.  Everybody from that generation is gone, but I assume this must have been where it was, and Google suggests that it is.  I will have to check it out next time I am in Milwaukee.

Tom & Judy

They have this on the Refrigerator.   Shows the history.  

IMG_6525.thumb.jpeg.1a4ee4e7cb5887f89a7047e574f7d0a7.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Poconolady said:

We stayed at a local Residence Inn while our current  home was being built 11 years ago, $45 a night on a long term basis, we were there for three months. What a deal, included daily breakfast and dinner four nights a week. They always had an abundance of snacks set out and a bus to take you where you wanted to go. I “ almost” hated to leave!

That was a fantastic rate for sure.   I really like Apartment type rentals when we travel.   While do enjoy the Luxury  of a 5 Star Hotel, they always seem impersonal.

• Like 2

The breakfast this morning was open until10:00 AM so gave us a chance to sleep in.   Even though only a 2 hour timezone shift it is always difficult to fall asleep on the first night.

Stopped by the front desk and they agreed to a late check out of 1:00 PM and confirmed they could store our luggage for us. 

I was a little concerned because the latest forecast shows 100% chance of rain tomorrow with the highest rainfall between 11 - 2PM

• Like 1

Preview of Coming Attractions -

Le Bellot is at Makinac Island today.      We just discovered that the Ponant Tour includes a tour of the inside of the Grand Hotel followed by Tea.    I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before.   Iain the all knowing came up with this...   Let's hope we can get on the tour.

image.thumb.png.b6ce6ee1bb9cd7243aeffe029bc2b3cc.png

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I thought I would be totally bored in retirement.   Nothing could be further from the truth.   We now often wonder how we ever got anything done when we were working.

LOL I wonder this just working from home - when going into the office I find it hard to get anything done (I also work in sales so its a loud area but my team is operations so we need quiet/focus).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That was a fantastic rate for sure.   I really like Apartment type rentals when we travel.   While do enjoy the Luxury  of a 5 Star Hotel, they always seem impersonal.

I am always torn between the Suite type hotels,  Residence Inn, Spring Hill Suites, etc. and the full service type, Marriott, Renaissance, etc. when we travel.  I guess I have to say I prefer the latter because they include a restaurant, a bar, and a Concierge Lounge.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have this on the Refrigerator.   Shows the history.  

IMG_6525.thumb.jpeg.1a4ee4e7cb5887f89a7047e574f7d0a7.jpeg

Wow. what a great photo..

I was so sad when our local Gimbels closed . My prof career started in the early 70's  wearing  business suits bought at reasonable prices from Gimbels...Had to be blue or blk suits skirted below the knee,  no minis. white collared blouse, hosiery, high heels and a coach handbag.

Boy how things have changed!

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Preview of Coming Attractions -

Le Bellot is at Makinac Island today.      We just discovered that the Ponant Tour includes a tour of the inside of the Grand Hotel followed by Tea.    I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before.   Iain the all knowing came up with this...   Let's hope we can get on the tour.

image.thumb.png.b6ce6ee1bb9cd7243aeffe029bc2b3cc.png

great news about the tour!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I chuckled in the kitchen.   On checkin they gave little bags with water and popcorn in them.  

I was reminded of changes hotels are going through. 

Lots of free coffee but the large bottles of water are $6

IMG_6521.thumb.jpeg.43e809a0a7b98c1d3d1e7e98356d83ad.jpeg

At least they’re clearly marked 😆 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My main task last night was to get my techy gadgets setup.   Small Travel Router and two Firestick's.     

Residence Inn offers 2 types of Internet - Free and Premium.   I checked out the free and definitely good enough for my needs.   8 Mg up and 8 Mg down.

The one thing I like about the Firestick is that it has a built in VPN app for Nord and Express VPN.     I logged into SF and now able to watch our home TV using YourTubeTV. 

Bonvoy (Marriott) offers complimentary upgrade to premium for not that high a loyalty level. I forget what tier it starts, but I am « only » Gold. That’s the level that comes included with AmEx Platinum. You may want to look into it.

We also like the Residence Inn product. It feels homey to us

Jane