Just got on Enchanted Princess for 7 day cruise September 2, 2023

dickinson

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK what you tried on the App because there is nothing in DMW that involves requests to the DRO.  You can try making a res with the Web version, but I would guess that DMW is not setup to book 18 people - even if you had them all set up as Travel Companions and were adding them for dining.  If you want to make a res in DMW ahead of time (and no need to do so IMO for what you want), I would appoint two other "captains" in your group.  You and the other two "captains" each book 3 couples into a 6-top.  One person trying to book 18 people is highly unlikely to be successful.

@cr8tiv1@Thrak and @Steelers36  Thanks very much for your help.  We're trying the 3 captains suggestion but can't seem to get same time each day.  We were only able to get two days at the same time using the daily reservations.  I guess we'll wait until we get on board and talk to someone when we go to lunch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Californian said:

@cr8tiv1@Thrak and @Steelers36  Thanks very much for your help.  We're trying the 3 captains suggestion but can't seem to get same time each day.  We were only able to get two days at the same time using the daily reservations.  I guess we'll wait until we get on board and talk to someone when we go to lunch.  

Good idea, but another question  Are you seeing all three DR's in DMW?  Sometimes, Princess is holding back one of the DR's which indicates to me that there is space to be had once on board (although the hold back is likely mostly for walk-ups or to be able to support TD experience requests).

For the Dining room(s), previous cruise with Holland America had one dining rooms for scheduled reservations.  and one other for Walk-ups.  We enjoyed the Walk-up option, because we never knew when we would return to the ship and how hungry we would be. So I wasn't planning on making reservations.   Did the Enchanted Princess have a Walk-up dining room?  I see the Amalfi dining room Santorini Dining room and some times the Capri dining room as options to reserve a table when I go on the APP.   Also,  is there any difference in the menus in the two dining rooms?  is one better than the other?  

Edited by lindkn2

There is no difference in dinner menus for any of the MDRs.  Only difference is size.  The aft dining room on Deck 6 is the largest.  The one on Deck 6 midship is shared by Reserved Dining Room.  If Deck 5 dining room is open it is still smaller than Deck 6 aft.

20 minutes ago, lindkn2 said:

For the Dining room(s), previous cruise with Holland America had one dining rooms for scheduled reservations.  and one other for Walk-ups.  We enjoyed the Walk-up option, because we never knew when we would return to the ship and how hungry we would be. So I wasn't planning on making reservations.   Did the Enchanted Princess have a Walk-up dining room?  I see the Amalfi dining room and the Santorini Dining room as options to reserve a table when I go on the APP.   Also,  is there any difference in the menus in the two dining rooms?  is one better than the other?  

This is what I was talking about - one DR is not available pre-cruise in the App.  The two you mentioned are mid-ship and aft.  Same menus and service.  Different layout and decor - and location of course.  The third DR will also have the same menu, but I suspect it will be the one with Reserve (formerly Club) Class dining which is a section of the DR and will have some additional menu items.  The rest of that DR will have the same menu as the other two.  They may be using that DR (well, most of it except Reserve Class) for walk-ups or those looking for set table every night.  You will be able to walk-up and you will likely find out on board the best one for that or where they suggest you go for that option.

Interesting, first time I heard this.  I was on the Emerald, Deck 6 Port side dining room.  I had a set time and table.  The hostess was turning away passengers and telling them that she could not help them make reservations. They had to do that on the app.  Lots of very unhappy guests.  She was "full" (with reservations) and could not accommodate walk ins.  Don't know if any other MDR was capable of walk ins.  

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Interesting, first time I heard this.  I was on the Emerald, Deck 6 Port side dining room.  I had a set time and table.  The hostess was turning away passengers and telling them that she could not help them make reservations. They had to do that on the app.  Lots of very unhappy guests.  She was "full" (with reservations) and could not accommodate walk ins.  Don't know if any other MDR was capable of walk ins.  

There better be a Main Dining room capable of walk ins as not everyone makes a nightly reservation. We only make Specialty Dining reservations. Past that we like to walk in when we feel like it. 

We had a lovely last breakfast with Alexa on disembarkation. We took a taxi to our hotel. When arriving he quoted the fair in Euros. I asked for a receipt and noticed both Euros an US $. That is not a good exchange rate and he never asked us. We will have to wait till we are home to see what we were really charged. 

we had a nice walking tour of th Gothic quarter with Runnerbean tours.  We then found lunch and walked around. We couldn’t believe the amount of people in Barcelona!!  With a 6:05 am flight we were picked up by taxi at 3:30 am. No problem with flight but we have been sitting in Rome airport now for over 3 hours. Our flight to Us is over 3 hours late so another 2.5 hours to go!!!  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Good idea, but another question  Are you seeing all three DR's in DMW?  Sometimes, Princess is holding back one of the DR's which indicates to me that there is space to be had once on board (although the hold back is likely mostly for walk-ups or to be able to support TD experience requests).

@Steelers36
No.  Not all dining rooms are listed.  We’ll just wait until we get on board.  Thanks again for your help.

• Thanks 1

I just want to say that the crew on the Enchanted Princess were all wonderful.  We interacted with several crew members who didn't hesitate to do what it took to help us.  The food was delicious overall and we had PLENTY to eat.  I did notice that the Baked Alaska has changed.  It was domed shaped and the ice cream of vanilla and strawberry (no chocolate) was very tiny.  Mostly it was marshmallow.  I wouldn't get it again.  I know at one point I got the new Love Boat dream that many people on here don't like.  I beg to differ as I really enjoyed it.  

Overall a wonderful cruise and I can't wait til next year when we cruise Norway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 9/10/2023 at 12:52 AM, Caligirl33 said:

There better be a Main Dining room capable of walk ins as not everyone makes a nightly reservation. We only make Specialty Dining reservations. Past that we like to walk in when we feel like it. 

The only walk in MDR is for Reserved guests. If you are walking in at a popular time then you may very well have a wait.

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

I just want to say that the crew on the Enchanted Princess were all wonderful.  We interacted with several crew members who didn't hesitate to do what it took to help us.  The food was delicious overall and we had PLENTY to eat.  I did notice that the Baked Alaska has changed.  It was domed shaped and the ice cream of vanilla and strawberry (no chocolate) was very tiny.  Mostly it was marshmallow.  I wouldn't get it again.  I know at one point I got the new Love Boat dream that many people on here don't like.  I beg to differ as I really enjoyed it.  

Overall a wonderful cruise and I can't wait til next year when we cruise Norway.

I haven't ordered baked Alaska in years because of the reason you described. Just to much sweet marshmallow for me. Something like the kids would prefer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

I did notice that the Baked Alaska has changed.  It was domed shaped and the ice cream of vanilla and strawberry (no chocolate) was very tiny.  Mostly it was marshmallow.  I wouldn't get it again.

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

I did notice that the Baked Alaska has changed.  It was domed shaped and the ice cream of vanilla and strawberry (no chocolate) was very tiny.  Mostly it was marshmallow.  I wouldn't get it again.

52 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I haven't ordered baked Alaska in years because of the reason you described. Just to much sweet marshmallow for me. Something like the kids would prefer.

I really miss the baked Alaska from the old days. The junior waiters would march around the room at the end of dinner with the flaming baked Alaska. They would then take it to our table and put out the flame. No one ordered baked Alaska - it was taken to the table for everyone without ordering it. It was messy and delicious - not like the ones they have today. That was back in the day when everyone was ready for desert at the same time (traditional dining) and before the safety people forbid flames on the ship. Oh, I miss the good old days.😀

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

They still have the parade. Different times for different MDRs. Not the same.  I think we waited and waited and waited. Finally happened at 7:30.  Then we didn’t get the dessert. No loss. 

Yes they had the parade. Because we were at a table for two and had great service our waiter mentioned the parade was at 7.  We ordered our dessert about 10 minutes or so before so we were eating during the parade. 

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

They still have the parade. Different times for different MDRs. Not the same.  I think we waited and waited and waited. Finally happened at 7:30.  Then we didn’t get the dessert. No loss. 

40 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Yes they had the parade. Because we were at a table for two and had great service our waiter mentioned the parade was at 7.  We ordered our dessert about 10 minutes or so before so we were eating during the parade. 

They still have a parade - not the parade. Without traditional dining, it isn't at the right time for many diners. And they don't actually parade baked Alaska - they march around with some fake demo stuff. And it definitely isn't flaming. In the old days, they actually fed us the baked Alaska that they marched with.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, that said:

🤢

People wipe their mouths on their napkin. They sneeze into their napkin. I've even seen a few blow their nose into their napkin. Then they wave it wildly around their heads in a crowded dining room. Blech...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:06 PM, tobyt said:

I miss the drink guy that used to sell theme shots with the glasses. I still have some of tucked with my liquor, plus there was always one fun waiter chanting how much he loved his job.

He was alive and well on Enchanted.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:42 PM, dickinson said:

The party band, Static, gets a huge following.

Xcite (not Static), from Trinidad & Tobago, were fantastic and it was the only entertainment we went to consistently.  They are on until mid October and are definitely worth your time.  We really enjoyed Rock Opera.  Went to listen to AJ one night; we couldn't see what the attraction was but, as they say, each to their own.