Drinks package questions

whirldcruzrs

What is a day - what time does it start and what time does it end?  (I assume midnight to midnight.)

Where can I get cold water to fill my own water bottle, short of using my drink allotment for bottled water.  (The HIA doesn’t include the Elite beverage package and I read that it is not always possible to upgrade on the ship.)

Someone in my party is mobility limited.  Am I able to get them a drink at the same time I get my drink?

Edited by whirldcruzrs
Typo

Midnight to midnight was always my understanding, BUT we got espresso drinks before leaving the ship on last morning. I didn't notice if there were charges for them. Maybe someone else can say for sure?

Cold water from dispenser in the Lido, just use a glass to transfer the water to the bottle. Or use the water from your sink and put in the fridge overnight, or add ice from your bucket. It is all the same water!

You should be able to take your friend's card key and get them a drink on it at the same time. Especially after the first time when they will get to know your pattern!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

If your standard drink package is part of HIA promo, you cannot upgrade to Premium (Elite) on the ship. I went round and round on this with the Beverage manager last year on the Oosterdam because pre covid we could upgrade on the ship at any bar. Fortunately on our next 2 HAL cruises we booked with the early booking HIA and got Elite drink package and the premium Wi-Fi. 

I wanted the Elite with the HIA, and willing to pay more, but could not upgrade even though willing to pay more.  The reservations agent tole me I could upgrade to Elite once I board, but I have read that people were told the dame thing and could not, I read a post today by someone else who was told by two agents that HIA included gratuities, but then when purchase, he/she found out that HIA did not. I see lots of posts about people being told one thing and then not coming through, or one thing is advertised, and then not honored. Has anyone here experienced changes upon booking from what was promised?

1 hour ago, whirldcruzrs said:

I read a post today by someone else who was told by two agents that HIA included gratuities, but then when purchase, he/she found out that HIA did not

Pre-paid crew appreciation (gratuities) seem to be included on promos for longer cruises booked far in advance. For example, our 2025 Amazon Explorer has it included in the HIA promo. Usually the Grand Voyages and the like have them as part of the deal. I have never seen a short cruise with pre-paid crew appreciation thrown in. Just my 2c worth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asebastian said:

Pre-paid crew appreciation (gratuities) seem to be included on promos for longer cruises booked far in advance. For example, our 2025 Amazon Explorer has it included in the HIA promo. Usually the Grand Voyages and the like have them as part of the deal. I have never seen a short cruise with pre-paid crew appreciation thrown in. Just my 2c worth.

Pre-paid Crew Appreciation is part of the Early Booking bonus promo.  

It’s also been offered on the odd sale.  not sure what your definition of a short cruise but our 15 day Transatlantic had it offered for a short time so a number of us have it on our upcoming cruise.

8 hours ago, asebastian said:

We are also on the 2025 Amazon Explorer cruise & our booking does have the crew appreciation too.  But like you say, we booked under a certain promotion.  Crew appreciation is not usually included in HIA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrydtx said:

If your standard drink package is part of HIA promo, you cannot upgrade to Premium (Elite) on the ship. I went round and round on this with the Beverage manager last year on the Oosterdam because pre covid we could upgrade on the ship at any bar. Fortunately on our next 2 HAL cruises we booked with the early booking HIA and got Elite drink package and the premium Wi-Fi. 

Is there any way to upgrade to the premium drink package from the standard HIA drink package? I was under the impression it was a simple upgrade on board but after reading your post I’m concerned?

1 hour ago, CannonG said:

Is there any way to upgrade to the premium drink package from the standard HIA drink package? I was under the impression it was a simple upgrade on board but after reading your post I’m concerned?

On out last 2 HAL cruises we were unable to upgrade from standard HIA drinks to Elite on board or before boarding.  With the new policy of paying only the difference between the $11 cap and the cost of the higher drink, I am not sure upgrading to premium is worth the cost. Lats year on Oosterdam the selection of wines by the glass in Elite were pretty limited in selection and a month later HAL changed that policy of only paying for the difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CannonG said:

The latest information is that it is not possible to upgrade the drinks package onboard, however, if you purchase a drink that is higher than the price limit (currently $11) then you are only charged the difference in price + 18% gratuity.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The latest information is that it is not possible to upgrade the drinks package onboard, however, if you purchase a drink that is higher than the price limit (currently $11) then you are only charged the difference in price + 18% gratuity.

Pre Covid it was possible to upgrade at any bar the first day you boarded before you got your first drink. Post Covid it has not been possible. On the Oosterdam last year I got all the way to the Beverage manager after going to a bar first and was told by all that it was no longer possible. As I said earlier it may be more economical now to just pay the difference plus tips, we did not have that option last August.

Our next two cruises we booked with the Early Booking HIA and have premium drinks, Wi-Fi and crew appreciation all included. It would be nice to have a way to upgrade from standard HIA to Premium HIA before you board. Celebrity did have a way to do that post covid, but like so many other things Celebrity took that option away in early 2022.  Now Celebrity is taking paid gratuities out of their All-Included packages for cruise booked after Oct 4th and the generous OBC with Suites.

While it may be desirable to upgrade the HIA drink package, currently the upgrade is included as part of the Early Booking Bonus promotion. 

Promotions and sales come and go. Thus those offerings and the ability to receive any particular piece of them comes and goes.

Since pax are now only charged the difference between price (plus 18% on that difference) as some have suggested, that may work in your favor vs paying to upgrade (if you could).

18 hours ago, asebastian said:

Not sure this is correct. We have a 11 day cruise next week, grats included. A 14 day cruise, booked the day the schedule appeared on the website, grats NOT included, and a 21 day cruise, booked within a week of schedule opening, grats included.

There have been many discussions here on the whys and where fors of when the grats are included, or not. There has not been a solid explanation of why, or why not, except the HIA package offered can vary. It seems they may be heading towards better perks if you book within 30 days of schedule release.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure this is correct

HAL promos are a mystery at the best of times! You will get different opinions from different staff on HIA inclusions. We have it on the Japan Collector for October this year and the Amazon Explorer in 2025, but have 2 other shorter cruises this year and the Voyage of the Vikings next June where it wasn't offered.