Comparing HAL and Cunard Cruise Experiences

Ready2go11

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@Hlitner Try to find a 22 to 50 day itinerary on other lines that are not B2Bs or the same old round and rounds. We are not interested in world cruises.    We just don’t find them except HAL.   I don’t like Oceana, never going back. I would dearly love to try Celebrity, Azamara and Cunard but none of these offer the itineraries we are looking for and no, we are not going to sail on a behemoth. I have also looked at Windstar, Seabourn, Regent etc… and again, they don’t have the itineraries. Viking does look like an option for me but not my two travel companions.  A HAL cruiser can sail 4 times a year for 30 to 40 days at a time and be on completely different itineraries each time. We have complaints but we trade a few minor inconveniences for the varied itineraries.  

Our early years cruising were on Carnival, Norwegian and Princess but that was long before the days of the Behemoth and were indeed big fans of Norwegian and Princess.  And yes I do think DH should consider Princess’ smaller ships again but our family trip in 2016 burnt him out with their larger ships (3200)

Of course our needs are far different than many as we are traveling not cruising.  I probably could be just as happy on a freight ship if it was taking me where I wanted to go.  Having finally convinced DH of the benefits of Business Class I think our days of cruising will likely end in 2025 except the occasional crossing  

You make some excellent points.  Even as HAL entered what I have called their period of a "cruise line without a rudder" we continued to book HAL cruises (among other lines) because of their terrific itineraries.  If we were to ever go back on HAL, it would only be because of their itineraries since we no longer can find any other redeeming characteristic.  We have some hope that the new Explora Journeys line (they will quickly build 6 - 900 passenger ships) might become a good option (early reviews are not very good).  Like many HAL cruisers, we are seniors who have already done a lot of traveling.  At this time, we have lots of difficulty finding cruises that can take us to new places, so we find ourselves repeating many itineraries (this fulfills our love of cruising).  HAL has been gradually moving to larger ships, and this limits what they can do with their itineraries.  One reason we loved the Prinsendam (sometimes called the elegant explorer) was because HAL used it as a "pathfinder" vessel that offered amazing itineraries that included ports not even open to the large ships.  We both know what happened to that ship...which still breaks my heart.  

As to Oceania, we will withhold comment until we finally cruise on the line (we have an upcoming 38 day Vista voyage).  I was never a big fan of the "R" ships (at O prices) but we are looking forward to trying one of their newer vessels  (which avoid some of the issues we do not like about the R vessels).  To be blunt, we were so fed-up with what we experienced on the Westerdam that we cannot bring ourselves to even consider another HAL cruise.  Perhaps this will change...if and when HAL gets their act together.  As to Celebrity (we are Elite Plus on that line) we have not booked that line for the past few years because we no longer consider it a good value...especially if one wants a "retreat" suite.  Our recent Seabourn cruise was actually less expensive (per passenger day) than Celebrity...and that Seabourn cruise had a fantastic itinerary (think HAL...VOV).

Hank

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

and that Seabourn cruise had a fantastic itinerary (think HAL...VOV).

They do have some select itineraries that do appeal and if we repeat those itineraries we would be wise to try another line.  Nuuk is now open so that may be the 2025 crossing.

If I'm not mistaken one reason I would choose HAL over Cunard for Alaska is that I'm pretty sure the main pools on QE/QV do not have the sliding roof over them, making HAL's pools more useful in Alaska.

Otherwise, I think quite a fair comparison.

Roy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

Back to the original post, thank you @Ready2go11 for your mini-review. I think your observations on Cunard are pretty accurate (ten sailings with them, nine of which were transatlantic) and it gives me a good idea of what to expect on HAL for our booked transpacific. Our one previous HAL trip was very disappointing in terms of food quality and service, so we are hoping (expecting) vast improvements, based on these boards.

We have sailed on each of the current HAL ships and food quality has varied from ship to ship. Our biggest complaint about HAL is the lack of consistency. The management really makes a difference. I hope your upcoming voyage is on a well managed ship.

On the Zuiderdam in fall 2022, Raj Kantharaju was food and beverage manager and the food in all venues was outstanding, our best ever on a cruise. We left very positive feedback in the Navigator app while on the cruise about food taste and quality and he stopped us one day in the lido to say thank you!

1 hour ago, MomentsNotice said:

Cunard has tea kettle (with biscuits) in every cabin. LOVE THAT! I don't know why it is not standard on every line. 

Also, I believe Cunard includes complimentary shuttle to city at almost every port (not NYC). 

You’re right- I forgot to mention the kettle. Since our trip was to Alaska, we often enjoyed a cup of hot tea in our room while enjoying scenery on our balcony. Cunard did provide a free shuttle into town in Victoria so that was a plus as well. 

Another Cunard plus:  there was no corkage fee to bring aboard a special bottle of port we like from a local winery. 

Edited by Ready2go11
  • Like 3

HAL could definitely improve their tea.  We went once only.  There is no sophistication in my opinion, this was the one bright spot on Oceana - their lovely tea in the crows nest with a stringed quartet. I do wish there was a coffee pot in room but I don’t see that happening on HAL 

To be completely honest, I think some of what comes out as criticism of HAL is just disappointment and sadness at the changes that have been wrought -- many long before COVID. Whether through management neglect or management design, HAL is a shadow of what it once was. Despite what a few cruisers would like us to believe, HAL was not always a middle of the road "value" line with good itineraries. It was much better than that.

My April experience on Westerdam for 28 days really saddened me, perhaps even made me a little bitter as I had always thought I would sail on some of HAL's longer and interesting itineraries once I retired -- and here I am, newly retired, and I don't really want to sign up with HAL again for any kind of long voyage. Maybe once upon a time I might've been happy to just sail around on a freighter and "see the world" but I think those days have passed. I've traveled too much already in a certain style and, well, one does become accustomed...

Every so often HAL seems to stir and show some signs of life, so I do have faint hopes that things will get better. Itineraries alone are not enough. But itineraries and some additional enrichment and activities/entertainment, CONSISTENTLY implemented across the line, might tempt me back at some point.

As a side note, a question for @Mary229:  why would you rule out BTB itineraries, if the itineraries are completely different?  Most BTBs I've experienced have involved a very minor inconvenience on the turnaround day, especially if you keep the same cabin. It's a good solution for me, looking at lines other than HAL that don't repeat the same cookie-cutter itinerary time after time. In March 2025, for example, I have booked a BTBTBTB on Celebrity that takes me from Hong Kong through SE Asia to Australia, then Hawaii and finally Vancouver in early May.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

To be completely honest, I think some of what comes out as criticism of HAL is just disappointment and sadness at the changes that have been wrought -- many long before COVID. Whether through management neglect or management design, HAL is a shadow of what it once was. Despite what a few cruisers would like us to believe, HAL was not always a middle of the road "value" line with good itineraries. It was much better than that.

My April experience on Westerdam for 28 days really saddened me, perhaps even made me a little bitter as I had always thought I would sail on some of HAL's longer and interesting itineraries once I retired -- and here I am, newly retired, and I don't really want to sign up with HAL again for any kind of long voyage. Maybe once upon a time I might've been happy to just sail around on a freighter and "see the world" but I think those days have passed. I've traveled too much already in a certain style and, well, one does become accustomed...

Every so often HAL seems to stir and show some signs of life, so I do have faint hopes that things will get better. Itineraries alone are not enough. But itineraries and some additional enrichment and activities/entertainment, CONSISTENTLY implemented across the line, might tempt me back at some point.

As a side note, a question for @Mary229:  why would you rule out BTB itineraries, if the itineraries are completely different?  Most BTBs I've experienced have involved a very minor inconvenience on the turnaround day, especially if you keep the same cabin. It's a good solution for me, looking at lines other than HAL that don't repeat the same cookie-cutter itinerary time after time. In March 2025, for example, I have booked a BTBTBTB on Celebrity that takes me from Hong Kong through SE Asia to Australia, then Hawaii and finally Vancouver in early May.

It would have to be a truly unique itinerary simply leaving from the port of debarkation.  My first choice is the journey of 22 to 50 days, the continuity of passengers lends to a more calm community experience. But yes, if it was the right combo I would do it.  You will never see me going around and around in the Caribbean though, many snowbirds like that but it is not for me. 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

It would have to be a truly unique itinerary simply leaving from the port of debarkation.  My first choice is the journey of 22 to 50 days, the continuity of passengers lends to a more calm community experience. But yes, if it was the right combo I would do it.  You will never see me going around and around in the Caribbean though, many snowbirds like that but it is not for me. 

After I see some snow and sub-zero temperatures in Michigan, going round and round in the Caribbean sounds like a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

After I see some snow and sub-zero temperatures in Michigan, going round and round in the Caribbean sounds like a good idea.

Yep, I get that.  I used to work in Tucson in January and February and am familiar with the phenomena😉

Perfect review, thorough and fair. I did my first Cunard on QE going from Vancouver to SF and had mixed feelings. I tried the tea service in the Lido, and realized it's just not for me. I found the QE buffet limited and fairly bad, just one little cattle pen, with very few desserts and even a horrible soft serve ice cream machine, and while the serving area is wider than HAL, with no rubberneckers blocking traffic, it also reduces seating, so there was almost no seating available when I embarked at 1 or so. I had all sea days, so I appreciated having a changed menu for each day at lunch (only HAL, NCL, and Carnival have a single lunch menu). The pub was excellent, with a huge variety of beers priced under $7 and free lunch and dinner there--I had lots of fish and chips. Their version of Canaletto is Asian and was superb--I ate there on formal night to escape the pressure to wear a tux. I'm fairly bored by overfamiliarity with Princess/HAL/Celebrity menus, so it was nice to see new and unique dishes. Very low sales pressure and no funneling through jewelry-watch shops, no arts auctions, just a ridiculous street art guy being sold for $20k per spraypainted canvas. Nobody beats HAL breads, but their MDR baguette was soft. I really loved their free room service--Thai and other interesting foods. TV was also abysmal, with no interactive ability to check account, see menus, etc (if you go to the dining room they will print out lunch and dinner menus to take). Like HAL, a supposed upscale line still using shower curtains. I hate the corporate sameness of HAL music and dance programs, so it was nice to see an actual production show and musicians playing what they wanted throughout the ship and taking requests, both in their crow's nest and in the nice indoor area next to the buffet--perfect spot for drinks, sunsets, and guitar singers. The amazing two-story library also reminded me sadly of another thing HAL has given up, including a librarian there during the day who doubles as the wifi/internet help person. The big dance floor is pretty amazing, where they also have afternoon tea and dance classes, and it really came alive on formal night, as a gathering spot with a beautiful ice white glacier theme--HAL simply doesn't have that sort of central atrium gathering space. The things I didn't like about the layout was that the central tower, Tamarind on HAL ships, is private dining areas and lounges, and there's no retractable roof over the pool, and no direct link to the buffet for taking food there, as I do on HAL. Another blessed advantage over HAL--no smoking on the rear pool area. And no pet relief areas on the promenade or dogs that I saw, and the promenade by the bow is more open, so I don't get painful ear pressure from vibration, as I do on HAL promenades. Like HAL, there was the obligatory obnoxious runner, inconveniencing, scaring, and endangering everyone on the promenade so he could run fast. 

There are tons of people on here missing the good old days of HAL high standards and dress and classic cruising, so they should definitely try Cunard out, especially since the ships feel quite familiar in so many ways. They don't have many US options, but I have seen a lot of affordable, varied 7-14 night itineraries in Europe--QE is on it's way to Barcelona now, and of course you have the Queen Mary 2 as a classic liner unique option, which now that I see that it's not a stuffy or dull line, I'd like to do someday.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Cunard appears to be more of a point to point transit transportation line, than a cruise line. If one still wants to travel to various fairly fixed places around the world by sea, that is what they best offer. Not unlike most of the historic maritime lines before "cruising" took over the industry after the 1970's. Sea travel was how you got from point to point.  

And a very fine offering at that. Between a long cramped TA flight and jet lag, if one has the time and resources then a Cunard slower passage between continents is really a very nice option to have. Connecting the former global "British Empire" and still robust Commonwealth connections is still big business.

My friends out  there in the far flung "former British colonies" often still keep nostalgic ties to the Mother Country, even though long independent. Family members generations removed still keep those ties alive too.

I think you are confusing QM trans atlantics to the rest of the ships - plus QM does do normal cruises in the N hemisphere winter. Its a normal cruise line 

• Like 2

I have been blessed to sail HAL and Cunard since the 1970s. They each have  their own special character and sailing in Grills and Neptune classes find exceptional service in both. I do love the HAL Neptune lounge and Transatlantic on Cunard is magical. 

I think Cunard sound lovely. I miss the HAL of old, and much of it is little things. I miss candied ginger, which HAL taught me to love. It doesn't seem like dinner on a cruise ship without candied ginger afterwards. I miss being able to check out movie DVDs. If they are going to limit movies to what is on the TV, then they need to add more. I miss the chilled fruit soups that HAL taught me to love as well as the Dutch/Indian dinner entree they always used to offer. I mentioned at dinner once right after they stopped offering it to the maitre'd and he arranged to cook it for the whole table the next night. I don't think that would happen now. I miss the classical music. I hate them offering a movie as the main entertainment. I miss really dressing for formal nights. I miss true 14 or 21 night itinerary cruises in the Caribbean that aren't back to back cobbled together. You can't get to some of the best islands in  7  days. And the corporate HAL doesn't seem nearly as responsive as the old one. I'm sure I will do a Canard TA at some point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sambamama said:

I think Cunard sound lovely. I miss the HAL of old, and much of it is little things. I miss candied ginger, which HAL taught me to love. It doesn't seem like dinner on a cruise ship without candied ginger afterwards. I miss being able to check out movie DVDs. If they are going to limit movies to what is on the TV, then they need to add more. I miss the chilled fruit soups that HAL taught me to love as well as the Dutch/Indian dinner entree they always used to offer. I mentioned at dinner once right after they stopped offering it to the maitre'd and he arranged to cook it for the whole table the next night. I don't think that would happen now. I miss the classical music. I hate them offering a movie as the main entertainment. I miss really dressing for formal nights. I miss true 14 or 21 night itinerary cruises in the Caribbean that aren't back to back cobbled together. You can't get to some of the best islands in  7  days. And the corporate HAL doesn't seem nearly as responsive as the old one. I'm sure I will do a Canard TA at some point.

I agree about the Caribbean B2B cruises. HAL offers so many combinations that it's hard to search for a Caribbean cruise that isn't a B2B. I like HMC, but I don't need to go there twice in one trip. And I don't need the extra day docked in FLL.  I'm doing a true 14-day cruise on Zaandam this winter because it is going to interesting islands, including the ABCs with late departures, which makes it safer to risk independent tours, rather than ship tours. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rafinmd said:

If I'm not mistaken one reason I would choose HAL over Cunard for Alaska is that I'm pretty sure the main pools on QE/QV do not have the sliding roof over them, making HAL's pools more useful in Alaska.

Otherwise, I think quite a fair comparison.

Roy

One other thing in HAL’s favour - for Alaska they do open up the bow and forward decks for scenic viewing. Not sure if Cunard does this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sambamama said:

A lot of good points, but I must agree, I do miss the Bami Goreng and Nasi Goreng that used to be served in the MDR. What about the Indonesian - Filipino crew show that used to run once per cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RD64 said:

One other thing in HAL’s favour - for Alaska they do open up the bow and forward decks for scenic viewing. Not sure if Cunard does this.

Cunard did for both the Suez and Panama Canals so I assume for Alaska too 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RD64 said:

A lot of good points, but I must agree, I do miss the Bami Goreng and Nasi Goreng that used to be served in the MDR. What about the Indonesian - Filipino crew show that used to run once per cruise.

On my recent Alaska Nieuw Amsterdam sailing, the MDR had each night a “crew meal” offering. Bami Goreng was an option one night. We tried a few different “crew” offerings and they earned the consensus thumbs up. Not sure if this was a fleet-wide initiative or just on the NA. The food experience was just better than on my Caribbean sailing on the Nieuw Statendam in November, so maybe HAL is slowly improving post-covid with its dining operations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vicd1969 said:

On my recent Alaska Nieuw Amsterdam sailing, the MDR had each night a “crew meal” offering. Bami Goreng was an option one night. We tried a few different “crew” offerings and they earned the consensus thumbs up. Not sure if this was a fleet-wide initiative or just on the NA. The food experience was just better than on my Caribbean sailing on the Nieuw Statendam in November, so maybe HAL is slowly improving post-covid with its dining operations.

Great idea, can only confirm this was not available on the Noordam last month. Hopefully this is something HAL expands on.

I LOVE the ABC islands! And yes, I really miss the nasi goreng, I just couldn't remember the name. And the chilled cranberry soup was my favorite as was the vanilla source with Grand Marnier sauce. I got the Pinnacle to make that for me as well as as a sabiyon -sp? sauce to put over fresh berries another time. That day wasted in Fort Lauderdale is a killer. You see 10 or 11_day  cruises, but not too many 14  night anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Great idea, can only confirm this was not available on the Noordam last month. Hopefully this is something HAL expands on.

Maybe the Nieuw Amsterdam Food and Beverage manager had a bit more leeway. She is married to the Captain and seemed a bit more visible around the ship and with passengers than  other F&B managers on my previous sailings.

• Like 1