Still confused re. Classic vs. Premium drink packages

Jose Zalfadilla

8 hours ago, dmopink said:

Does that mean a bottle of Evian is normally $14?

Evian San pelligrino waters you pay the full charge for it.  The difference in price for drinks is only for alcoholic drinks.  Same with the smoothies and juices at spa cafe you would pay full price if you only classic drink package. 

On 9/13/2023 at 8:57 PM, Dream_Out_Loud said:

In regards to coffee cocktails at Cafe al Bacio,  does anyone know if you're able to use the classic package to get them and just pay the difference in price for the ones that are more than $10?  For instance, the Macallan Reviver is listed at $15.  Would it only be $5 for someone with the classic package?  And the Cafe Kingston is listed at $10.  Would that be included?

In my experience, you are correct. 

On 9/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, normbieg said:

THANK YOU,  SmilingOctopus!  This is great...exactly what I'm looking for.  I just hope it's still valid

DaisyFire, if you've got something else, I would still love to see that too.  Thanks much.

For beer I'd say it is mostly valid.  I just left the Edge in Barcelona from Rome on the 16h where I had the premium package.  I had these beers on the Edge: Duval, Leffe, Goose Island IPA, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Heineken, Red Stripe, Franziskaner wheat, Bierra Moretti L'Authentica.  The Goose Island IPA wasn't listed on any bar menu but when I saw someone at Sunset with one I asked and sure enough they were available.  I could not find any dark beers (stouts, porters or bocks) on the ship including Guinness.  For a beer guy it was a disappointing experience.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 7:34 PM, arubaaruba said:

I thought the same however because it is the only beer I can have, I spoke to them directly and was told any beers from the premium list, even those less than the Classic package limit would be charged in full just like non-alcoholic beverages under the minimum. 

IMG_7472.jpeg

Hmmmm.... unless this is a recent change, this is simply not true of 'any' beer over the $10 Classic cap.  Any beer I ordered during my April cruise on Edge like Stella, Peroni priced above the $10, I paid the $1 + 20% difference as they were listed as $11.   Beer is my drink of choice so it wasn't a one off, though I did not order Guinness.

As some have stated, the onboard reality will be the only one that matters.

Edited by poffles

On 9/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Jose Zalfadilla said:

Well, after much looking around everywhere, in both blogs and 3rd party cruising articles, I discovered that the drinks my wife and I have preferred for many decades, basically since our college days, including liquor, wines, and beer, are all in the Premium package. Not that they're all 'premium' but that it is where Celeb has placed therm. By contrast, Princess (our last 12 cruises) has them all included in their lower tier package, which they call Princess Plus and is the one we always purchase, vs. their Premium Plus which is their higher one.  However, I just saw a 35% "flash sale" on the Celeb website for purchasing their Premium, so I cancelled our Classic and bought their discounted Premium for only $69.99/day/pp, less than their Classic at $89/day/pp.  All is well now!

We are cruising December 21st out of Sydney on Edge.  Any idea when Celebrity typically has these "flash sales"?  Do you need to just keep checking the website everyday or so until we cruise?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, beernutz said:

For beer I'd say it is mostly valid.  I just left the Edge in Barcelona from Rome on the 16h where I had the premium package.  I had these beers on the Edge: Duval, Leffe, Goose Island IPA, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Heineken, Red Stripe, Franziskaner wheat, Bierra Moretti L'Authentica.  The Goose Island IPA wasn't listed on any bar menu but when I saw someone at Sunset with one I asked and sure enough they were available.  I could not find any dark beers (stouts, porters or bocks) on the ship including Guinness.  For a beer guy it was a disappointing experience.

Hi

I am a beer drinker as opposed to lager.

Celebrity has slowly phased out Brit beers,,once it was Boddingtons,no more,,no more John Smiths only Newcastle Brown.

On my last 4 X cruises they have had no Guinness.

I sailed the first Silhouette cruise from Southampton in May,,,no Bitters,,,why I asked,,,no call for it in the US he said,,,,I had to remind him he was in the UK for all the summer.

In May on the Silhouette TA Guinness was on the Classic,,,sailing down the English Channel they changed all the menus on the ship to show Guinness at $11 and hence on the Premium.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Huddler said:

We are cruising December 21st out of Sydney on Edge.  Any idea when Celebrity typically has these "flash sales"?  Do you need to just keep checking the website everyday or so until we cruise?  Thanks!

That's what I did. Don't believe there's a given time frame but a rather random occurrence, so I would keep checking periodically.

• Like 1

As long as we are discussing drink packages in general, can anyone clarify for me if the 20% gratuity for drinks is covered by the package? I have the premium drink package. I saw something on the Celebrity site that made my doubt my belief that the gratuity is included. The way they word it, that the gratuity is added at checkout, makes it sound like they ad it to your account. Now I’m confused.

IMG_3971.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Miss SeaBee said:

As long as we are discussing drink packages in general, can anyone clarify for me if the 20% gratuity for drinks is covered by the package? I have the premium drink package. I saw something on the Celebrity site that made my doubt my belief that the gratuity is included. The way they word it, that the gratuity is added at checkout, makes it sound like they ad it to your account. Now I’m confused.

IMG_3971.jpeg

If you have the drink package tips are included.  When you buy the drink package pre cruise on the planner or app as an individual item there will be 20% added when you check out to take care of the tips.  

With the All Included drinks, wifi, grats its already included in the bundled amount.  So,  no tips will be added with each drink unless you go over the drink package cost.  You have Classic which is 10 limit in US and get a drink that costs 12.  You would owe 2*20% or 2.40 for that drink.  

Edited by bikerunner
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, Huddler said:

If you are getting marketing emails from X they will also send you an email when there is a flash sale for your cruise.

On 9/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Jose Zalfadilla said:

Well, after much looking around everywhere, in both blogs and 3rd party cruising articles, I discovered that the drinks my wife and I have preferred for many decades, basically since our college days, including liquor, wines, and beer, are all in the Premium package. Not that they're all 'premium' but that it is where Celeb has placed therm. By contrast, Princess (our last 12 cruises) has them all included in their lower tier package, which they call Princess Plus and is the one we always purchase, vs. their Premium Plus which is their higher one.  However, I just saw a 35% "flash sale" on the Celeb website for purchasing their Premium, so I cancelled our Classic and bought their discounted Premium for only $69.99/day/pp, less than their Classic at $89/day/pp.  All is well now!

My suggestion is you continue to log in to your Celebrity account every now and again to check for a larger flash sale. These can be found around a holiday or just at random. Recently, we were able to upgrade from classic to premium for $9.99 pp/pd, plus gratuity on just a random Friday afternoon…I could not believe it. I do think it depends a lot on the itinerary though as to whether or not great deals can be had. 

You can always cancel a current purchase and just repurchase at the discounted price. Good luck

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:56 PM, floralscent said:

My suggestion is you continue to log in to your Celebrity account every now and again to check for a larger flash sale. These can be found around a holiday or just at random. Recently, we were able to upgrade from classic to premium for $9.99 pp/pd, plus gratuity on just a random Friday afternoon…I could not believe it. I do think it depends a lot on the itinerary though as to whether or not great deals can be had. 

You can always cancel a current purchase and just repurchase at the discounted price. Good luck

Always check cruise prices around Black Friday. We just upgraded from the Classic to Premium package for $6.99 per passenger per day, 53% off the normal $15 price. You also have to add in the 20% gratuity. For the 5 of us on a week cruise, the total upgrade cost just under $300. They are also currently running a 45% off special on both the classic and premium packages. You can get them for $45.99 & $54.99 respectively. Cheers!

Celebrity BF Drink discount.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, OhioTony said:

So if I am on the classic package, and I wanted a Red Bull and Vodka. 

I would be charged the difference for any upgrade in vodka plus tip, and be charged for the whole can of red bull plus tip?

Great question.  I'm guessing that's how it would work if they let you leave with the rest of the can of Red Bull.  Then it's basically like ordering a vodka on the rocks and a can of Red Bull.  The brand of Vodka will determine if there is an upcharge or not...  i.e. Tito's no, Cîroc, yes.

Just my guess though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Great question.  I'm guessing that's how it would work if they let you leave with the rest of the can of Red Bull.  Then it's basically like ordering a vodka on the rocks and a can of Red Bull.  The brand of Vodka will determine if there is an upcharge or not...  i.e. Tito's no, Cîroc, yes.

Just my guess though.

I would guess that they don't actually sell a "Red Bull & Vodka" drink that they just pour into a glass, like most (but not all!) bars do. So they probably do sell you the full can of Red Bull - at full price since it's non-alcoholic, and the shot of vodka (or on the rocks) is free or a small up-charge depending on brand. But Absolut Red Bull is fine, nobody needs Belvedere or Grey Goose in their Red Bull!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, Miandw said:

Always check cruise prices around Black Friday. We just upgraded from the Classic to Premium package for $6.99 per passenger per day, 53% off the normal $15 price. You also have to add in the 20% gratuity. For the 5 of us on a week cruise, the total upgrade cost just under $300. They are also currently running a 45% off special on both the classic and premium packages. You can get them for $45.99 & $54.99 respectively. Cheers!

Celebrity BF Drink discount.pdf 615.6 kB · 14 downloads

I just got the same sale for my May cruise. I never have to have the premium on another two lines I sail but the $10 a drink seems so low so I just did it. Plus with the other things people have mentioned I would rather just be able to get anything I wanted it was only $50 more PP and originally paid the $400 pp for drinks and Wi-Fi so figure its still pretty cheap to not have to worry about what I am ordering. We will find out in May it is my first time on Celebrity going on the Edge.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:35 PM, DaisyFire said:

This looks like a good spot to post a request for clarification on what non-alcoholic beverages are included in the Classic pkg. I know on my previous cruises the Classic pkg included soda, basic bottled water, and specialty coffees. However,  I’ve seen some recent posts questioning whether or not specialty coffees are or aren’t included - with references to pkg descriptions that seemed to differ (maybe on the cookiegate thread?)

I know some folks on recent cruises affirmed they could still get coffee at Al Bacio on the Classic pkg but I’m wondering if perhaps this is another new change about to be sprung on us?

I checked  both planner and website, searching for and reading all descriptions for classic pkg and none currently include any references to specialty coffees, teas, or waters. Plus the comparison doc for the packages seems to have been taken down. (I think it was this doc that folks had included as evidence that specialty coffee is included). 

If it turns out to be the case, I guess I’ll need to upgrade our drink package to premium for our upcoming November cruises. 

this was what I found when using google tonight ( In Australia } 12_15_23_OB_SP_Drinks-Flyer_V4.pdf (celebritycruises.com)