Free Burgers??

Scubadoc

8 hours ago, KroozNut said:

It's just a pet-peeve of mine, that's all. And we all have pet-peeves right? People who repeatedly refer to specific items or services on a cruise ship as being 'free' is annoying to me, because it's intuitively obvious to most clear thinking folks that they're not 'free'.

If that strikes you as an 'inane' point, so be it..

Oh, it's arguably inane. 

But repeatedly belaboring the point when -- by your own words right up there ^^^^  -- "it's obvious to most clear-thinking folks" becomes inarguably tiresome.  

You can safely assume that most CruiseCritic users are smart enough to have made that incredibly difficult logical leap. 

8 hours ago, SeaScout said:

This was also my experience on Adventure of the Seas in early September in the Wind Jammer. The burgers were inedible in my opinion. Just plain awful.  I'd take a Guy's Burger on Carnival any day of the week over the mystery meat thing I had on AOS.

Whew, same here.  And "mystery meat" is an apt description -- it tasted like those nasty frozen, boxed hamburger patties you find in bunkers at the supermarket (I'm thinking specifically of "Flanders" brand).  Seriously awful.  

Honesty compels me to add that since then, the WJ burgers on the Indy and the Freedom have been...serviceable.  Nowhere near as bad.  

I HAVE been surprised at the paucity of "free" lunchtime dining venues on Freedom-class ships as compared to any of Carnival's Conquest-class (and larger) ships.  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

You can safely assume that most CruiseCritic users are smart enough to have made that incredibly difficult logical leap.

Maybe you can 'safely assume' that, but from what I've seen by the comments so far on this thread, that is clearly not the case.

40 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

I HAVE been surprised at the paucity of "free" lunchtime dining venues on Freedom-class ships as compared to any of Carnival's Conquest-class (and larger) ships.  

Are there really any "free" dining venues on any ships (besides the typical MDR, buffet, etc.)?

So, if we can agree on that basic premise, this whole discussion becomes moot, right?

But  constantly arguing about an apples to oranges issue?.  "Free" versus "at no additional charge" is the issue.  Arguing semantics is futile.

Along the same vein, I've bought pre-formed hamburger patties at our local Wally World and they tasted like ground cardboard so I am equally jaded with them.  I now mostly make my own patties but I wish they could find a vender with really good ground beef!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

But  constantly arguing about an apples to oranges issue?.  "Free" versus "at no additional charge" is the issue.  Arguing semantics is futile.

It is definitely NOT apples to oranges.. And I totally agree with you that 'free' vs 'at no additional charge' is in fact the issue. My point is that there is an important and clear difference between those two terms, and many people confuse the two terms, use them incorrectly, or are just to lazy to care about it.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

IMO: The Kummelweck sandwich is frequently scrap. Once every 7 cruises or so, the sandwich has been good.

Totally agree! Once we had it and it was really tasty, tender and delicious. The next 5 attempts to eat one have not gone well.....last try on Harmony (Park Cafe) last month, the meat was so undercooked that it was inedible.....i'm sure i'll keep trying but my expectations are now pretty low....

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

IMO: The Kummelweck sandwich is frequently scrap. Once every 7 cruises or so, the sandwich has been good.

How can it be scrap if you're seeing it sliced from a haunch of roast beef?  You could argue that it's not cooked to your taste, but "scrap" doesn't make sense. 

13 hours ago, Pellaz said:

inarguably tiresome.  

This conversation has passed tiresome.  No one -- not even people who've never cruised -- believe the food is literally free.  No one on Earth would attempt to walk onto a docked cruise ship (without a ticket) and expect to get a burger.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Are there really any "free" dining venues on any ships (besides the typical MDR, buffet, etc.)?

So, if we can agree on that basic premise, this whole discussion becomes moot, right?

Sorry, I thought I could safely assume that you'd know the meaning of my quote marks around the word, indicating that the author is fully aware that the word, when normally written, isn't totally applicable to reality.  

I apologize for my error.  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No one on Earth would attempt to walk onto a docked cruise ship (without a ticket) and expect to get a burger.  

Even if they tried they would never make it far enough to get anywhere near the "free" burgers.😊

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No one on Earth would attempt to walk onto a docked cruise ship (without a ticket) and expect to get a burger.  

And yet there are many people who pay their fare, and then walk onto the ship looking for that 'free' food (burger or otherwise). Many like to boast about it on these forums, informing all of how and where they were able to find that coveted 'free' burger, or 'free sushi', or 'free' <fill in the blank> Go figure..

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

And yet there are many people who pay their fare, and then walk onto the ship looking for that 'free' food (burger or otherwise). Many like to boast about it on these forums, informing all of how and where they were able to find that coveted 'free' burger, or 'free sushi', or 'free' <fill in the blank> Go figure..

And he goes on and on and on. 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

You still have no clue what the word 'free' or "free" means to people on this forum.  Hint:  It's not the same a free.

44 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You still have no clue what the word 'free' or "free" means to people on this forum.  Hint:  It's not the same a free.

Free (as an adverb) has only one definition, regardless of whether one puts quotation marks around it or not. I'll let you look it up..

Edited by KroozNut
  • Haha 1

So this thread isn't actually about hamburgers, is it?  

We, too, have been disappointed by the WJ burger.  On the other hand, the free on you get in the MDR or even Coastal Kitchen is not bad at all. A good alternative, as we see it.  The free fries are pretty good too.  Goes well with the free wine and water we get to drink for free.

free free free....  

Get over it, people.  You want to be Don Quixote about words, go for it.  It doesn't add what so ever to the discussion of burgers, so that you are aware.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

So this thread isn't actually about hamburgers, is it?  

We, too, have been disappointed by the WJ burger.  On the other hand, the free on you get in the MDR or even Coastal Kitchen is not bad at all. A good alternative, as we see it.  The free fries are pretty good too.  Goes well with the free wine and water we get to drink for free.

free free free....  

Get over it, people.  You want to be Don Quixote about words, go for it.  It doesn't add what so ever to the discussion of burgers, so that you are aware.

(Please don't encourage him.)

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:20 PM, KroozNut said:

Free (as an adverb) has only one definition, regardless of whether one puts quotation marks around it or not. I'll let you look it up..

Since we're being pedantic... In the context you're obsessing over, free is an adjective, not an adverb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Since we're being pedantic... In the context you're obsessing over, free is an adjective, not an adverb.

Please see below:

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

free

adverb

adverb: free

without cost or payment.