You can't make these things up!!

whitecap

37 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That is quite the jump from what he actually said.  He books suites so he will have access to Coastal Kitchen for meals.  This allows him to avoid the Windjammer and the crowds.  We do the same thing when we sail a ship that has Royal Suite Class.  

100%

I believe that that is called "Class Envy".  As much as I like to debate folks about a ton of subjects/issues, I tend to ignore those kinds of statements/comments.  Like you, I cruise Suites, not because I feel I'm better than anyone else.  But, because I like the benefits/perks/luxury of it.  I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like most other people.  

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 6:53 PM, mcgore83 said:

Wow! So you think just because you are in a suite, people do no not have unsanitary habits! Just Wow!

I'm not @George C but I believe his implication isn't that those in suites are any more sanitary but that in Coastal Kitchen no one but the staff is handling the utensils and so combining that with UDP he doesn't have to ever eat in place where passengers handle utensils.  I'm not sure how you could have misinterpreted his post so badly.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm not @George C but I believe his implication isn't that those in suites are any more sanitary but that in Coastal Kitchen no one but the staff is handling the utensils and so combining that with UDP he doesn't have to ever eat in place where passengers handle utensils.  I'm not sure how you could have misinterpreted his post so badly.

Possibly they have not cruised in a suite on a ship with CK and didn’t understand how it works there.

Last fall we did 2 cruises-the first on Holland America and the second on Royal.  There is definitely a difference in the travelers on these lines.  More civilized on Holland America than on Royal but we don't let other people's behavior dictate our enjoyment.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:11 PM, whitecap said:

Well, if cold fries aren't worth eating, and neither is any cold entree, you would not be eating much on this ship.  I can honestly say that in the seven days we have been onboard, we may have found entrees twice that were hot or at least above the luck warm stage.  So, if you want luke warm fries and fear them getting cold by the time you reach your table, you might want to consider just pulling up a chair to the buffet line.  

I have no idea why you continue to choose cruising as a vacation - you clearly aren't enjoying yourself, as you seem to spend all your time policing everyone else's behavior -- or at least noticing and complaining about it.

Life is short - if you spend your time worrying about things that are completely out of your control, you're ultimately just wasting precious time (and when you do it on a cruise -- wasting money).

You seem to be taking steps to sanitize yourself - so there you go -- you're all set.  Get on with enjoying your life and stop worrying about everyone else.  It must be so exhausting

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bocker3 said:

I have no idea why you continue to choose cruising as a vacation - you clearly aren't enjoying yourself, as you seem to spend all your time policing everyone else's behavior -- or at least noticing and complaining about it.

Life is short - if you spend your time worrying about things that are completely out of your control, you're ultimately just wasting precious time (and when you do it on a cruise -- wasting money).

You seem to be taking steps to sanitize yourself - so there you go -- you're all set.  Get on with enjoying your life and stop worrying about everyone else.  It must be so exhausting

I would tell you what you can do with your silly comments but it wouldn't be very nice and since I am a pretty nice person, I'll just say this; at no time have I said that we weren't enjoying ourselves, I have merely pointed out actions of others that are unsanitary and show a lack of respect toward others.  We protect ourselves and find it disturbing to watch as some shove food in their mouths, lick their fingers and then go along the buffet line picking up serving utensils.  You may be ok with that, but we are not.  Here is an idea for you, if you don't like the thread, don't read the thread and if you don't have something constructive to say, then don't say anything.  Have a pleasant day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, babyblue78 said:

Agree with those sentiments also... but years ago I decided to worry about what I can control, and not what other people do, and just keep it moving.  If I focus or concern myself with those things it only brings me down, and I am just here to have my vacation!

Yes, I'm content to worry about my own actions.   

On 9/5/2023 at 8:06 PM, ngrund said:

Eating while on line is unsanitary. Just opening your mouth can cause saliva droplets to be expelled. Just wait until you get to your table.

That being said, the real offence noted in this thread was the people licking their fingers and then touching the utensils.

LOL. I suppose you can't talk while on line either...nope...mouths must be clamped shut.

Edited by nferr
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nferr said:

LOL. I suppose you can't talk while on line either...nope...mouths must be clamped shut.

What I should have said was "opening your mouth to eat", (due to the likely involuntary salivation reaction from the food),

Edited by ngrund

On 9/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Cold fries are not worth eating.  That's why.

As you can already tell, some people have all the answers but don't respect personal choices, especially those that make no difference and pose no danger to others.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ngrund said:

What I should have said was "opening your mouth to eat", (due to the likely involuntary salivation reaction from the food),

Which said salivation remains in one's mouth unless sneezing/coughing.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ngrund said:

No it doesn't saliva can be expelled if your mouth is open, but nothing is going to change you're "all about me attitude"

https://extension.wsu.edu/foodsafety/content/food-safety-and-buffet-etiquette/

As far as I'm concerned, quoting WSU is as bad as quoting from Wiki.  I won't even read it.  But, I did have a great laugh just knowing someone would reference from such a source.  My hands are tied in here to fully explain why.  

And if you knew me, you'd know that I'm anything but a ME ME ME person.  I've spent my whole life helping people in need, I actually gave up my own health to help others in need.  

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As far as I'm concerned, quoting WSU is as bad as quoting from Wiki.  I won't even read it.  But, I did have a great laugh just knowing someone would reference from such a source.  My hands are tied in here to fully explain why.  

And if you knew me, you'd know that I'm anything but a ME ME ME person.  I've spent my whole life helping people in need, I actually gave up my own health to help others in need.  

Why would you refuse to read good information from an university source from PhD food scientists?  You think your 'home grown common sense' is superior?

And even wiki posts are peer reviewed, as opposed to random ideas from cruise critic posts.  Always odd that the current thinking in America/UK is that credible experts are not to be trusted.  Its very scary for the future of our children.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Pizzasteve said:

Why would you refuse to read good information from an university source from PhD food scientists?  You think your 'home grown common sense' is superior?

As I said, my hands are tied as to the allowed content here.  It involves the forbidden subjects.

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As I said, my hands are tied as to the allowed content here.  It involves the forbidden subjects.

So I guess the answer is yes, you think you know more than experts, and the reason is 'politics.'  Sad youve let media with an agenda close your mind to science and reason.

We are talking about food hygiene best practices and you go there?  Time for a look in the mirror about why you think this way.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

So I guess the answer is yes, you think you know more than experts, and the reason is 'politics.'  Sad youve let media with an agenda close your mind to science and reason.

We are talking about food hygiene best practices and you go there?  Time for a look in the mirror about why you think this way.

Don't assume anything, especially about me.  You'd be sorely mistaken.  I don't make assumptions about you and I don't/didn't accuse you of anything.  I only ask for the same respect in return.  And, you don't know what my level of expertise is or not.  And yes, I believe I know much more about certain things than the average person.  You have no idea what has prompted my view of WSU and its cadre of nincompoops.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Don't assume anything, especially about me.  You'd be sorely mistaken.  I don't make assumptions about you and I don't/didn't accuse you of anything.  I only ask for the same respect in return.  And, you don't know what my level of expertise is or not.  And yes, I believe I know much more about certain things than the average person.  You have no idea what has prompted my view of WSU and its cadre of nincompoops.  

Fair enough.  Best wishes to you.

The words you are using tell me more than enough (eg slandering an entire university with words like the one you use isnt how my circle communicates).  I have close family that are WSU grads and they are extremely successful professionals in their field.  Have you ever even been to the campus?  Hiding behind forum rules means you really dont have any logic backing you up, or you would express the logic, which is certainly allowed. Not even reading the content one criticises, and being proud of it, tells me all the rest about how you form opinions.  I still wish you happiness.

Edited by Pizzasteve

2 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

People would rather argue than just wait to eat their damn food when they're at their damn table, and if it takes declaring any information to the contrary to be a "cadre of nincompoops," that's what they'll do. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2023 at 1:00 PM, Ret MP said:

100%

I believe that that is called "Class Envy".  As much as I like to debate folks about a ton of subjects/issues, I tend to ignore those kinds of statements/comments.  Like you, I cruise Suites, not because I feel I'm better than anyone else.  But, because I like the benefits/perks/luxury of it.  I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like most other people.  

THIS! We had our first taste of a JR suite aboard the Symphony. We really enjoyed Coastal kitchen. No waiting in lines and faster more attentive service. 

When we can swing it we'll be back. Our next suite we want to try the grand suite.

• Like 2

As the OP for this thread, I think what we have learned here are that people have different opinions as to what is or isn't proper hygiene.  I would just suggest this; don't eat from your plate while in a buffet line; don't blow your nose in the table napkin and place it on the table/plate, get up and go to the bathroom; wash your hands often and use sanitizer once at your table.  

With that, as the OP, I would ask that the moderator close this thread.  

• Like 1