NCL transfers departure in Seattle----

Jetswdo

Hi all--- I was just wondering for those of you who had NCL take you to the airport in Seattle after Alaska cruise--- are you glad you did that? or are you sorry you did it?

After a cruise, we usually arrange a private service, like Seattle Express or something like that.  Hopefully we will just have hand luggage with us (making use of port valet service).   But out of laziness, we would be fine with letting NCL just take us to airport-- probably will be around the same price---- if no one has had problems doing so.

One time we made the mistake of having cruise line (off the Jewel) take us to airport in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale ( many years ago) and it was horrible- ac turned off in bus, and took an hour until bus left for airport---- That was a "never-again" experience.  Appreciate all responses/opinions.  Thanks in advance.  Anita

3 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Hi all--- I was just wondering for those of you who had NCL take you to the airport in Seattle after Alaska cruise--- are you glad you did that? or are you sorry you did it?

After a cruise, we usually arrange a private service, like Seattle Express or something like that.  Hopefully we will just have hand luggage with us (making use of port valet service).   But out of laziness, we would be fine with letting NCL just take us to airport-- probably will be around the same price---- if no one has had problems doing so.

One time we made the mistake of having cruise line (off the Jewel) take us to airport in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale ( many years ago) and it was horrible- ac turned off in bus, and took an hour until bus left for airport---- That was a "never-again" experience.  Appreciate all responses/opinions.  Thanks in advance.  Anita

Anita, we have done this multiple times and have been very happy with the service.

ProTip: Go early or allow time to get on the buses. The buses leave as soon as they fill. The port is usually boarding 2 buses at the same time,,,, but the line to get on a bus could be 30+ minutes at busy times (8:45 yesterday).  

Things to note: There is no pick-up area at Pier 66 in Seattle. If you are considering Uber, you'll be chasing your car up and down the street trying to find it. The street is partially closed because of the line of trucks, waiting to enter the port with provisions for the ship. Yesterday, the cost of an Uber XL would have been $73+tip as we disembarked the Norwegian Encore. 

View of the chaos on the street from the comfort of the cruise line transfer

image.png.246e6883a2d81c51f52a429f1cd45a68.png

image.png.5abd8c5d9e13ac06969db986a0c54022.png

My daughter used Shuttle Express and said it was quick and easy--- I think she was on a Princess cruise  (she didn't like it, prefers NCL but had a cheap deal that time)---- I am probably using shuttle express to get from pre cruise hotel near airport to the cruise.  After cruise is over, I just want the easiest experience to get to the airport-- Our flight will be leaving around 1:30 or so-- Alaska Airways----We were thinking to get to airport around 11:30 ish (we will hopefully just have our carry on luggage with us) --- want to get off the cruise ship 9:30? maybe----if this makes sense------- 

13 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

My daughter used Shuttle Express and said it was quick and easy--- I think she was on a Princess cruise  (she didn't like it, prefers NCL but had a cheap deal that time)---- I am probably using shuttle express to get from pre cruise hotel near airport to the cruise.  After cruise is over, I just want the easiest experience to get to the airport-- Our flight will be leaving around 1:30 or so-- Alaska Airways----We were thinking to get to airport around 11:30 ish (we will hopefully just have our carry on luggage with us) --- want to get off the cruise ship 9:30? maybe----if this makes sense------- 

Haven't done it yet but our post-cruise flight is also 1:30ish and to limit the variables we've already booked NCL transfers.

20 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

I am embarrassed to tell you my cruise isn't until next year!  I'm just gathering information and putting in my file.

Oh. Because flight times were mentioned I assumed your cruise was this year.

I’ll plan on reporting back on how it goes (both Port Valet and the NCL transfer).

I’ve used both the NCL transfer and Shuttle Express.  I much prefer the NCL transfer, it is just easier to get to.  Yes, the line can be long, but you should have plenty of time.  Princess leaves from a different pier and from there Shuttle Express is probably my choice.

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Anita, we have done this multiple times and have been very happy with the service.

ProTip: Go early or allow time to get on the buses. The buses leave as soon as they fill. The port is usually boarding 2 buses at the same time,,,, but the line to get on a bus could be 30+ minutes at busy times (8:45 yesterday).  

Things to note: There is no pick-up area at Pier 66 in Seattle. If you are considering Uber, you'll be chasing your car up and down the street trying to find it. The street is partially closed because of the line of trucks, waiting to enter the port with provisions for the ship. Yesterday, the cost of an Uber XL would have been $73+tip as we disembarked the Norwegian Encore. 

View of the chaos on the street from the comfort of the cruise line transfer

image.png.246e6883a2d81c51f52a429f1cd45a68.png

image.png.5abd8c5d9e13ac06969db986a0c54022.png

Not the OP but this was enough to convince me to book post-cruise transfer via NCL for next week’s cruise! I’ve got a 2pm flight so I figure it’s great/easy option, especially when combined with port valet for my checked bag. And the $27 price tag made it all that more appealing. 

So thank you, Mr. Bird. 🙂

12 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Not the OP but this was enough to convince me to book post-cruise transfer via NCL for next week’s cruise! I’ve got a 2pm flight so I figure it’s great/easy option, especially when combined with port valet for my checked bag. And the $27 price tag made it all that more appealing. 

So thank you, Mr. Bird. 🙂

I was just going to ask how much it costs.  Thanks!  We were just going to cab/Uber to the airport.  Starting to rethink that plan.

I've used the NCL transfer to/from SeaTac several times and have been quite happy with it. They've always had plenty of signs out so I could figure out where to go, I never had to wait long for the bus, and it was easily the best price point for a solo cruiser like me.

We have also used NCL transfer to SeaTac.  It was seamless. Walked off ship, onto bus and off to the airport.  Security line at SeaTac wasn’t quick the say we were there. Cost us $27 pp, but that was last year.  I recommend using Port Valet. It’s free. You can sign up onboard. This service takes your luggage from the ship to the airport where it is automatically routed to your destination airport.  You pick it up at baggage claim when you get home.

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You won’t have this problem if you do it right. 

Agree! We had absolutely no problem getting and finding our Uber, despite the crowds. It may cost a bit more than a shuttle but by the time we finish a cruise, we are happy to be away from busses.

37 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You won’t have this problem if you do it right. 

Agreed, we always do the easy walk off and being off the ship early helps.  i think we also may have ordered it for the marriott across the street and had them meet us there.

• Like 1

OP here.  Thanks for all the responses.  I think I will just end up using the NCL transfers from the ship and just use shuttle express to get us from airport hotel to the ship.  My daughter was at the other terminal for Princess and was glad she used the shuttle express-- She said the bus for that was right there when she got off the ship, 9:00ish I think she said.  She was at the airport barely an hour later.  But I think for NCL terminal  their transfers are probably the easiest way to go.

Local here. If you're not carrying lots of luggage, I'd walk to the Westlake Station in downtown Seattle, stopping at Pike Place market, and then catch the Link light rail to Seatac. It's a 15-minute walk to the station, .7 miles, $2.75 tickets you buy in machines there, and a 37-minute ride to Seatac. There's a mall at Westlake, as well as nearby shopping at Nordstroms and other stores. That way you can leave the ship when you want, not have to find and wait for a bus, wait for all the people to load the bus, and then get stuck at the airport while everyone unloads with their luggage at each stop (the area in front of the pier is a complete zoo, and the entrance to departures at Seatac gets very backed up at times), and not have to deal with downtown or freeway traffic. If you're taking Uber or Lyft (compare both apps to get the best fare and nearest driver), go up the next street, since a driver will get stuck in traffic jams at the terminal and have trouble finding you in the chaos there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

How far is Pike Place Market from the pier?  Our flight isn’t until 1:30.  Our current plan is to walk to the market to explore a bit and then Uber/Lyft to the airport.  Doable?

Do able. The market is less than 1 mile away mostly up hill (125 ft above water level). Find an elevator. 

The market may be crowded (i.e., hard to drag bags around). 

Taken from Pikes Place Market. 

image.png.acc067b66990dda6833421bd1ab7a5ec.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Do able. The market is less than 1 mile away mostly up hill (125 ft above water level). Find an elevator. 

The market may be crowded (i.e., hard to drag bags around). 

Taken from Pikes Place Market. 

image.png.acc067b66990dda6833421bd1ab7a5ec.png

Thanks!  This will work.  We’re using Port Valet so will only have backpacks.  I think we have a plan!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And what is the "right" way to do it in Seattle on Alaskan Way?

I’ve posted it several times, and you should already know the answer. Has nothing to do with Alaska Way. Take the pedestrian bridge to Elliott avenue.  Most calm Uber/Lyft ever.  Do you really not remember this??🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I’ve posted it several times, and you should already know the answer. Has nothing to do with Alaska Way. Take the pedestrian bridge to Elliott avenue.  Most calm Uber/Lyft ever.  Do you really not remember this??🤣

Be flattered. This is your queue to introduce (reintroduce) others to your approach to disembark in SEA.  Lots of us on CC are new. JS 😊

• Haha 1