Single Cruiser - When Double Rates are Cheaper than Single Supplement

Cruisegoer

So I generally use a large online vacations website to book my cruises.  Today I was looking at a cruise that if I booked for 2 passengers would be roughly $120 cheaper than booking the same cabin at the solo supplement rate. Has anyone ever created a "phantom" second passenger who doesn't show up on the day of sailing? I know the cruise line likes for passengers to generally Check-in prior to the cruise but I don't believe this is mandatory, I'd just have to make a reservation for 2 and name a second passenger.  I could probably book under a friends name who I can provide a good portion of info. Thoughts?

Wow, this is new to me. Thank you for the information. I’m a solo cruiser and am used to paying the supplement and also enjoying more space. But paying more than double is not something I’d be willing to do. 

The phantom booking method is interesting but I’m not sure I’d go to the effort. I’d just find a different line. 

I started the other thread, and as people have recommended, I just booked Eclipse in Mexico for $440 for 2 people for an inside guarantee, versus $1300 for a solo. I just had to get my niece's passport info, but she'll be busy with school and won't be able to make the cruise, alas. I realize that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean prices are strange to start with, with all their codes and deals, and with the current cruise mania and pressure to make enough profits to justify their doubling of the RCL stock price, they're going to raise revenue however possible. I still want to cruise, though, and I still love Celebrity, so I'm glad there is at least a way to get around their weird solo price discrimination. I also found some Jan 2025 solo cabin deals on Silhouette for $50/nt, and I live between Seattle and Vancouver, so I can jump on an Alaska deal if I see one, as I did in Aug 2022 on Solstice, my first Celebrity cruise. 

5 hours ago, rj59 said:

I started the other thread, and as people have recommended, I just booked Eclipse in Mexico for $440 for 2 people for an inside guarantee, versus $1300 for a solo. I just had to get my niece's passport info, but she'll be busy with school and won't be able to make the cruise, alas. I realize that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean prices are strange to start with, with all their codes and deals, and with the current cruise mania and pressure to make enough profits to justify their doubling of the RCL stock price, they're going to raise revenue however possible. I still want to cruise, though, and I still love Celebrity, so I'm glad there is at least a way to get around their weird solo price discrimination. I also found some Jan 2025 solo cabin deals on Silhouette for $50/nt, and I live between Seattle and Vancouver, so I can jump on an Alaska deal if I see one, as I did in Aug 2022 on Solstice, my first Celebrity cruise. 

What is the date of the Mexico Eclipse cruise that you just booked?

On 9/19/2023 at 6:58 PM, rj59 said:

This will be one of those loopholes that - as more, and more people tend to use, they will eventually close.

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Didn’t everyone know that Celebrity's motto is now  “pay more for less”

It’s the current motto for pretty much the entire cruise industry right now.  The message is the same on pretty much all the boards.  Princess seems especially bad right now with recent announced changes.  Harsh.  

5 hours ago, eroller said:

It’s the current motto for pretty much the entire cruise industry right now.  The message is the same on pretty much all the boards.  Princess seems especially bad right now with recent announced changes.  Harsh.  

Is princess also charging more for solo than 2 passengers?

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Not sure, but they are charging now for many amenities that used to be free.  Basically you have to purchase an all-included package to get many things that used to be complimentary for all passengers.  They dumb-downed the past passenger benefits as well.  Just have a look at their board.  Lots of discontent from Princess regulars.  It’s a trend I’m seeing on pretty much all the cruise boards.  Cruise lines are looking to recoup lost revenue from COVID and consumers are paying the price.  

1 minute ago, eroller said:

Not sure, but they are charging now for many amenities that used to be free.  Basically you have to purchase an all-included package to get many things that used to be complimentary for all passengers.  They dumb-downed the past passenger benefits as well.  Just have a look at their board.  Lots of discontent from Princess regulars.  It’s a trend I’m seeing on pretty much all the cruise boards.  Cruise lines are looking to recoup lost revenue from COVID and consumers are paying the price.  

I haven’t been on the princess boards but this thread was specific to being charged more than double as a solo traveller. Other lines aren’t charging more than double that I’ve looked at. My NCL cruise coming up has no single supplement and my Royal in 2025 at least isn’t charging a full double. Celebrity is charging anywhere from a little more than double up to 4 times more for solo travellers.

When it comes to the changes in the industry they are all over I agree. I just got off my cruise last week and the quality was worse than I expected on Celebrity. Prices have skyrocketed since last year and that includes many things I was surprised onboard by. Eg my scotch of choice last year was $11 and exactly a year later is $15 plus gratuity of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's the issue.  Cuts will continue as long as they continue to pay the price.

Exactly and I for one will not. Just did my review today and stated unless there is a major change for the better they have lost my business. I have 40 plus years of cruising ahead of me and will find a line that I like the value of.

48 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's the issue.  Cuts will continue as long as they continue to pay the price.

True and right now it seems consumers are willing to pay and brush off the cuts.  

Personally know exactly how much I will pay for Celebrity, Royal, Disney, Oceania, Cunard, Princess, MSC, etc.  I’ve been able to sail the majority of lines and each has its own value proposition.  I won’t overpay.  I’ll choose another option in that case.  Along those lines I can tell you I’m not cruising nearly as much this year.  I usually take from 5-7 cruises a year.  So far only one this year on HAL and a Celebrity cruise next month.  I got a great deal on both.  So deals can still be had but much fewer and farther between.  

In regards to paying more than 200% for solo occupancy, absolutely not.  It’s insulting.  If I couldn’t get around it by making a double occupancy reservation than the second person no showing, I would simply choose another line that caters more to single clientele, and they are out there.  Or something entirely unrelated to cruising if it came down to it.  

• Thanks 1

It’s not only solo pricing. They’re also doing some weird stuff with 3rd/4th pricing. We tried to to book a quad balcony for my family of 4 on the Solstice, and the 3rd/4th rate was DOUBLE the 1st/2nd rate. We booked two connecting balconies for a lot less money and ended with much more comfortable accommodations. Glad I checked. 

Still trying to figure out the reasoning for that pricing. Discourage families from sailing? Or hoping that families won’t  check pricing for two cabins and capitalize on that? 

On 9/14/2023 at 11:06 AM, Cruisegoer said:

So I generally use a large online vacations website to book my cruises.  Today I was looking at a cruise that if I booked for 2 passengers would be roughly $120 cheaper than booking the same cabin at the solo supplement rate. Has anyone ever created a "phantom" second passenger who doesn't show up on the day of sailing? I know the cruise line likes for passengers to generally Check-in prior to the cruise but I don't believe this is mandatory, I'd just have to make a reservation for 2 and name a second passenger.  I could probably book under a friends name who I can provide a good portion of info. Thoughts?

We actually booked our son and Fiancee a cabin when it was 75% off the second passenger.  Unfortunately she can not go, so I had to cancel her. His room rate did not change, and it was probably less expensive than if I had booked a solo, so though I am sorry she cannot go, I think it might have ended up cheaper for his cabin.

I did this on a Virgin cruise and had zero issues.   
I recently booked a SS veranda on Beyond, for 2 is was the same as solo with all included, however to cruise only option for a solo was over $2500 cheaper than all included.  Doubt I’ll drink $2000 plus in drinks, so booked solo cruise only. 

11 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I think Princess *has* been one of the best for single supplements, at least on some sailings.  For example, my sisters were able to each get their own balcony--they usually share--on our upcoming South America cruise at only 10% single supplement.  I realize this is partly because this sailing is often quite discounted due to various factors, but they are barely paying more than the two of us sharing our cabin.

Hopefully they still do this on selected sailings--usually longer ones.  Doesn't help of course if you need a specific date or itinerary that is popular.  It pays to be flexible and shop around.

• Like 2