Civitavecchia Boarding Info

peanut head

Hello All!  We leave next month sailing on the Constellation out of Civitavecchia.  We are staying in the Retreat. 

1. Is anyone familiar with the terminal and if there is a dedicated Retreat access line and/or lounge? 

2. Our car service will be dropping us off at the entrance to the port and we will have to take the free shuttle to the pier--does Celebrity have a dedicated pier or will we have to search for the location when we arrive?

3. Are there dedicated shuttles to the specific cruise ship (there will be 4 in port that day) or do we travel from 1 to another until we reach our's?

Any other helpful advice is greatly appreciated.  

16 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Hmmm, opposing answers to the shuttle.  Wineaux007, when did you take the shuttle?

In the morning on embarkation with luggage, Constellation will have its own bus from the Roma Cruise Terminal schlepping pax & luggage to the ship.  You will probably go out of Terminal 25.

You can always just get there and then sort it out.

We will be boarding the Edge in Civitavecchia in late October.  We will use a private car service from our hotel to the port.  When we last did this (in September 2019) we were dropped off at the port entrance.  There were more than one ship in port, and each ship had a dedicated shuttle (name of the ship in the window).  Once about half full we were taken directly to the ship.   So our experience mirrored that of @Wineaux007.

15 minutes ago, StopTheWorld said:

We departed from Civitavecchia last August. We used Rome Cabs to transport us from our hotel in Rome to the ship, and the car took us right up to the terminal entrance. No need for a shuttle. Have things changed? 

This was our experience as well, September 2022. 

• Like 3

Not all the car services have direct access to the terminal.  I presume there is a fee or licensing requirement (or both).  Concur, there is a separate shuttle for each ship.  Perhaps later in the day, they consolidate down to one doing all the ships.  

We used Rome Cabs a number of years ago and they took us up to the Celebrity terminal. 

Recently, we stayed in a hotel in Cvitavecchia for 2 nights (Loved the town! Lots to see and do and great dining) and the hotel shuttle tool us up to the ship. 

And the Terminal area isnt huge and you will See your Celebrity ship and it wont be an issue even if for whatever reason you have to use the port shuttle. our ship docked right near the entry.

For retreat guests, there is a special check-in area right at the entry. They have a little bar and if you want snacks, that too. All Very handy and extremely quick.

For standard checkin, it all appeared very straightforward and quick.  I didnt see any lines at all. 

A great port to depart from…and worth a stay there if you want to just relax and not do heavy touring in Rome….which is fantastic too!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, peanut head said:

Hello All!  We leave next month sailing on the Constellation out of Civitavecchia.  We are staying in the Retreat. 

1. Is anyone familiar with the terminal and if there is a dedicated Retreat access line and/or lounge? 

2. Our car service will be dropping us off at the entrance to the port and we will have to take the free shuttle to the pier--does Celebrity have a dedicated pier or will we have to search for the location when we arrive?

3. Are there dedicated shuttles to the specific cruise ship (there will be 4 in port that day) or do we travel from 1 to another until we reach our's?

Any other helpful advice is greatly appreciated.  

Can you switch to a service that is allowed in to the port and will drop you at the ship? That was worth its weight in gold when we sailed on Connie last October. The free shuttles can be sporadic and/or crowded. We got off a boat from Sicily a few days prior to our TA (spent time in Rome before the transatlantic) and the port shuttles were something else (long story). We quickly changed our plans to a driving service that was allowed inside the port and that dropped us right at the ship.

Inside the terminal it was fast and easy. We arrived a few minutes before our boarding time (first slot), had a seat for a few minutes and they started boarding shortly thereafter.

Edited by xamsx

OK, I cant control myself, I have to share an experience in Rome prior to going to Civitavecchia. 

We were crusing with 2 other couples. They toured Italy prior and we were meeting for the cruise. I signed us up for Rome Cabs. When Cabs sent me their offer, it was Much higher than what they listed on their website and I responded why. I had made mistake and typed in 60 pieces of luggage instead of 6! And Rome Cabs had set us for a full bus.

Fixed it. 

Our friends stayed near the train station where there’s a lot of nice tourist hotels. I decided to go crazy and used my Hilton points and booked the Hilton Cavalieri, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel up near the Vatican. Used All My Points!!

What a place. It was a tourist site in itself. We dined in the Hilton Club area for free because the restaurant was 150 Euros….each!

Well, sitting in the lobby waiting for our shuttle when a Full bus shows up. I get Very Nervous because this isnt a hotel where bus loads stay. 

Driver stepped in and called out my name. Joined him and started explaining we were expecting a shuttle for 6. He got on the phone as he drove to our friends hotel downtown and got it all straight that we were charged for just a 6-person shuttle!!! 

Got to the Terminal. And as the Full Bus pulls up, out come about a dozen+ porters to take all the bus-loads’ luggage….I see my chance of completely embarrassing my wife, so I put my sport coat over my shoulders, my sunglasses on and I step off the bus, saying “Please, Please! Just treat me as one of the ‘Little People’!! Please do not make a scene! No autographs….Please!!!’.  

When the poor porters see our 6 pieces of luggage and 6 of us…..they didn’t seem to enjoy me as much as I did!!

oh well.

Den

I made a mistake when I put down how many pieces of luggage. Instead of 6

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Its always good to compare prices.

After looking through multiple youtube videos of how to get to the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal, I decided to pay for the airport to port transfer. I figured that it would be less of a hassle when the cruise people have you locked down at the airport arrival terminal who will bring you straight to the port. The distance between Rome and Civitavecchia is at least a hour long. Perhaps something for you to consider.

July 2019, RomeCabs drove us from our hotel in Rome to the port.  We were driven directly from the driveway of our hotel to the terminal, and the driver off-loaded our luggage to the apron of the driveway area.  It could not have been nicer.  Mercedes SUV.  At that time, the fare for the two of us was 130 Euros.  

In the terminal building, check in was smooth and easy.  We were directed to a lounge area, where we were offered beverages and snacks.  I am not sure which classes of passengers this was for.  After about 20 minutes, I asked what we were waiting for, and was told we could board.  It was as if there was no reason for us to have been waiting in the lounge.  I don't know if this lounge was considered a treat or why we were placed there.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xamsx said:

Can you switch to a service that is allowed in to the port and will drop you at the ship? That was worth its weight in gold when we sailed on Connie last October. The free shuttles can be sporadic and/or crowded. We got off a boat from Sicily a few days prior to our TA (spent time in Rome before the transatlantic) and the port shuttles were something else (long story). We quickly changed our plans to a driving service that was allowed inside the port and that dropped us right at the ship.

Inside the terminal it was fast and easy. We arrived a few minutes before our boarding time (first slot), had a seat for a few minutes and they started boarding shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately, we cannot switch our limo service.  We are coming from Florence (Firenze) and the driver/car does not have the permit in place to give us direct access to the ship.  

Thank you all for your answers--they are helpful. 🙃

16 hours ago, In The Water said:

We used Rome Cabs for the August 19th Edge sailing. They drop you off at the terminal. And yes, there is a Retreat VIP area in the terminal. 

image.jpeg

If Constellation embarks at Terminal 25, it will look nothing like this.  Expect a huge carnival tent.  

4 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If Constellation embarks at Terminal 25, it will look nothing like this.  Expect a huge carnival tent.  

We've sailed to/from Civitavecchia probably close to a dozen times.  There are quite a few terminals at the port and we've accessed most of them.  And most of the sailings, perhaps our bad luck, were from that same "carnival tent."  And nothing even remotely like a "VIP lounge" there. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

We've sailed to/from Civitavecchia probably close to a dozen times.  There are quite a few terminals at the port and we've accessed most of them.  And most of the sailings, perhaps our bad luck, were from that same "carnival tent."  And nothing even remotely like a "VIP lounge" there. 🙂

We have been in that tent a few times also.

38 minutes ago, sheeng said:

Consternation is the only Celebrity ship in Civitavecchia Port on Nov. 6th  2023. Why do you think the ship would depart from the “carnival tent” and not the nicer, newer terminal with VIP Lounge?

Just commenting on the photo posted of the VIP Lounge.  If the OP embarks Terminal 25, don't expect anything like that VIP Lounge.  It's all about expectations.  😉

1 minute ago, BCHappyGal said:

Have not sailed out of Civitavecchia for many years - last time we did it was a carnival type tent for both embarkation and debarkation....

Will hope for a nice new terminal building with a Retreat Lounge!

Last time for us, TA Fall ‘22, was through the VIP lounge. I wonder why some people assume it will be the old “carnival tent” this Nov.when we are the only Celebrity ship in port.

1 hour ago, sheeng said:

Last time for us, TA Fall ‘22, was through the VIP lounge. I wonder why some people assume it will be the old “carnival tent” this Nov.when we are the only Celebrity ship in port.

I don't think anyone is assuming anything.  Who knows what terminal Constellation will be at.  We're just telling you about Terminal 25. 

• Like 2

We boarded Reflection around 1pm last Monday from Terminal 25 at Civitavecchia. The agents checked us in on iPads while we sat in the Suite Check In area. They didn't tell us if the suites were ready or about the lunch in Luminae. In future i would ask those questions. Luckily I had already seen the lunch information on the app so we went straight to Luminae and had a very nice lunch. 

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the queue for security in Terminal 25 at Civitavecchia. It was very long (although it moved quite quickly, despite the folks in line who waited until they were at the security scanber to start patting their pockets for wallets etc.) and there was no separate line for suite guests.