Sitka DIY Excursions / Activities

LEMJMcC

Hi All You Experienced Alaska Cruisers!

We're doing our first Alaskan cruise next year and will be in Sitka from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM.  We're kind of excursion-poor so we're looking for things to do and see on our own while there.  So, what would you recommend for us?  We tend to be rather active, enjoying walking, hiking, and cycling.

Thanks.

Go online and look at the Sitka Visitor’s Bureau information.  Order the free brochure.  It will include a map of the area.  You will probably dock a distance from town and have a free shuttle to the Convention and Visitor’s Center.  You can walk around town and learn about the Russian history of Sitka, you can walk through the Totem Park to the Raptor Center.  You can catch an inexpensive bus at the shuttle drop off to the Fortress of the Bears and the Raptor Center.   Sitka is amazingly beautiful.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

You can walk around town and learn about the Russian history of Sitka, you can walk through the Totem Park

We had a very pleasant day almost as described above, exploring  town and walking along the waterfront to the Totem Park, spending longer there than we had thought we might.  We didn't go to the Fortress or anywhere else but put in several hours which was actually enough for us.

You could look at previous threads with the word Sitka in them for more info and suggestions.

In case you do not know how to use the SEARCH TOOL, I did it for you and you could choose from my  results here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Sitka&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=33

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 7:46 PM, oaktreerb said:

You can walk around town and learn about the Russian history of Sitka

For the Russian Bishop's House, to see the second floor, which has original furnishings and suggests how the bishop and his staff lived, go as early as you can and pick up timed tickets. You don't need a ticket for the lower floor, which has exhibits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just visited here in September. A lovely little town... little commercialization...easy to walk to town from where the tender drops you off. And it was not too crowded like other ports.

There are several tours that visit the big 3 in Sitka the raptor center... the bear fortress and the forest area with the jumping salmon in the ocean.  All 3 were very interesting.

we are late 60's and no trouble walking the forest area, had clam chowder and watched the jumping salmon (I guess only the females jump). Downtown is very close and has all local shops/eats.

I wish we had more time to mull around the small downtown. A great crab leg tent downtown but line was too long. The Russian church is downtown too.

I really enjoyed walking along the harbor to the totem park. In early August the water was thick with salmon, and the sea views aren't bad. The totem park has a little free museum, the totems, and a spectacular forest. I saw a few bald eagles. No seals, but I have heard that they show up in the harbor occasionally.

The raptor center is accessible by foot - a family member did it, but I did not. Be aware that of you are coming in on one of the big ships, you probably will not be able to get into the Fortress of the Bear without booking a tour in advance. If there are a lot of people in port, the tour companies do not run their shuttle buses to the Fortress, and the Fortress itself limits independent visitors to a handful of people a day.

• Like 1

Although the consensus seems to be that Sitka is easy and cheap to DIY, we booked a tour with Baranof - the Bears, Raptors and Totems tour. We have some in our group of 11 with less mobility and we didn't want to take a chance of not getting entry tickets. It's just a 2-hour tour which will give us time to do other things while in port. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DadPerson said:

Be aware that of you are coming in on one of the big ships, you probably will not be able to get into the Fortress of the Bear without booking a tour in advance.

Would Quantum of the Seas fall into the big ship class?

33 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Would Quantum of the Seas fall into the big ship class?

Actual capacity for the Quantum-class ships are almost five thousand people, and the Alaska cruises run very full. (Lots of families = lots of rooms with 3 or 4 people.) Even if you are the only ship in port, it will be busy.

We were on the Ovation of the Seas, which is the same size, and there was also a smaller Disney ship in port. The totems area didn't feel all that crowded, but the town was mobbed and there were long lines for shuttle buses to get back to the ship.

40 minutes ago, DadPerson said:

Actual capacity for the Quantum-class ships are almost five thousand people, and the Alaska cruises run very full. (Lots of families = lots of rooms with 3 or 4 people.) Even if you are the only ship in port, it will be busy.

We were on the Ovation of the Seas, which is the same size, and there was also a smaller Disney ship in port. The totems area didn't feel all that crowded, but the town was mobbed and there were long lines for shuttle buses to get back to the ship.

How far is it from town to the cruise ship dock?  Is it walkable for someone who routinely walks 4-5 miles a few times a week?

On 10/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, LEMJMcC said:

How far is it from town to the cruise ship dock?  Is it walkable for someone who routinely walks 4-5 miles a few times a week?

Take the free shuttle your ship offers.

• 5 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 7:45 AM, DadPerson said:

I really enjoyed walking along the harbor to the totem park. In early August the water was thick with salmon, and the sea views aren't bad. The totem park has a little free museum, the totems, and a spectacular forest. I saw a few bald eagles. No seals, but I have heard that they show up in the harbor occasionally.

The raptor center is accessible by foot - a family member did it, but I did not. Be aware that of you are coming in on one of the big ships, you probably will not be able to get into the Fortress of the Bear without booking a tour in advance. If there are a lot of people in port, the tour companies do not run their shuttle buses to the Fortress, and the Fortress itself limits independent visitors to a handful of people a day.

Do you know if it's possible to call the Fortress once in port to see if it's available to DIY visitors that day?

LAX

On 10/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, LEMJMcC said:

It’s six miles each way.  There are bears.