Wine Package Question for HAL Afficionados

wurm914

Just looking at the website and I note that Cellar 1 prices are approximately $33 per bottle for a 6 bottle purchase.  Can anyone comment on whether that represents a certain percentage off compared to buying individual bottles?  I'm a HAL newbie and want to make a good decision.

thanks,

deb :)

Check out this link to a review of Holland America Line wine's.....

Looks like wines by the bottle are several bucks higher than the Sommelier.  

(We always buy package #1 and find that the wines are good and the price is right)

https://sandinmysuitcase.com/holland-america-wine-packages/#List

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Check out this link to a review of Holland America Line wine's.....

Looks like wines by the bottle are several bucks higher than the Sommelier.  

(We always buy package #1 and find that the wines are good and the price is right)

https://sandinmysuitcase.com/holland-america-wine-packages/#List

by "than the Sommelier" do you mean it's a better price by the glass?  Thanks for your response!

deb 🙂

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Once you get to be a 4 Star Mariner your cost drops to about $18 per bottle (package #1), all costs included.  Costs $20 per bottle for the corkage fee along if bringing your won wine onboard.

That's an interesting perk for a loyal cruiser - haven't seen that before.  Thanks for the information!

deb 🙂

11 minutes ago, wurm914 said:

by "than the Sommelier" do you mean it's a better price by the glass?  Thanks for your response!

Much better price per bottle if you buy the Sommelier package vs buying one bottle off the wine list or wines by the glass.

For instance, the 8 bottle Sommelier package #1 is $36 a bottle.....The Danzante Pinot Grigio is one of the choices available....and it is $44 if you just bought one bottle...also, by the glass, it is $11.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wurm914 said:

Just looking at the website and I note that Cellar 1 prices are approximately $33 per bottle for a 6 bottle purchase.  Can anyone comment on whether that represents a certain percentage off compared to buying individual bottles?  I'm a HAL newbie and want to make a good decision.

thanks,

deb 🙂

There isn't any fixed method to price the wine.   I have found cheaper wine in more expensive packages and vice versa.   I always buy the least expensive package.     

• Like 2

As others have mentioned the packages are the best choice. You can have some sent to your room or tell your dinner staff what you want that night. 

I have found that it is best to purchase on ship rather the pre cruise as the price is the same. This gives me a chance to talk to the wine steward as the currant wines don't always match the published list. It could be they have run out of something, or they have added a wine from the region you are sailing in.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dutchman48 said:

As others have mentioned the packages are the best choice. You can have some sent to your room or tell your dinner staff what you want that night. 

I have found that it is best to purchase on ship rather the pre cruise as the price is the same. This gives me a chance to talk to the wine steward as the currant wines don't always match the published list. It could be they have run out of something, or they have added a wine from the region you are sailing in.

True, plus I have found that the dining room staff gets credit for "selling" you the package and they appreciate it I have been told by them.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I always buy the least expensive package.     

+1

We always buy package #1 (the cheapest package).  It's fine for us and a great value.  (Next cruise we will be 4*s and looking forward to 50% off).  Wine being served to us in the MDR will be cheaper than what we buy in the grocery store at that point!

Also, on a few occasions, if they are out of a certain bottle in package #1, we've received a "free upgrade" to a wine in package 2 or 3!

Enjoy the journey.....and the wine onboard.

• Like 3

I purchase Cellar # 2 when on board. As mentioned, currently as a 3* , the discount is 25% . The cost of wine per glass  from the bar or a separate wine bottle purchase is much higher in the long run.

The package is a great option. So far I have been able to get my favorite Meomi in the package and keep one of the bottles in  the cabin as well.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, nantasketbeach said:

Eurodam cruise 2023. Purchased  bottles of St Michele Chardonnay - bottles were small size.

Not  750 ML. Was this something peculiar to St Michele or are all the wine bottles of the small size?

Perhaps @POA1 or @Huskerchick could help with this. I seem to remember them ordering this wine.

I'm going to offer a completely different take, but I have to admit I'm a bit of a wine snob, so forgive me.  The packages are fine and each has very drinkable wines. But, none have truly outstanding wines. 

I prefer high end Cabs, Bordeaux's and champagne. None of them are available with any of the wine packages. So, we purchase by the bottle at dinner each night. We always get exactly what we want, but admittedly we usually spend $80+ per bottle. 

All three packages have very drinkable wines and are great values. However, if you want  the best the ship has to offer, you won't find them in any of the packages. 

If you are worried about cost and value, the packages are the way to go!