Virgin fires a shot across Celebrity’s bow

kk20

Just now, jelayne said:

Target is broader than just X.  Once daily cabin cleaning has been a cut back on other lines.  

You're right!  The once daily is happening on NCL, RCL and Carnival...I wouldn't be surprised if Celebrity had this waiting in the wings for those not sailing in a suite.

• Like 5

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

You're right!  The once daily is happening on NCL, RCL and Carnival...I wouldn't be surprised if Celebrity had this waiting in the wings for those not sailing in a suite.

Charges for specialty restaurants are on multiple lines also.

Just now, jelayne said:

Charges for specialty restaurants are on multiple lines also.

Absolutely.  I think the digs at Celebrity were clearly in the dropping of gratuities, paying for a a suite "without dedicated support" and of course, the mentioning of the Michelin star chefs...Clearly this ad isn't directed just at Celebrity...all the lines have made some sort of cut.  I've never sailed on Virgin so would not have any knowledge of their cuts...they aren't going to advertise those.  

Plus they will status match Captains Club

3. Match and Sea More Program
And finally with our Match and Sea More Program through December 31, 2023, we're inviting Sailors enrolled in other select rewards programs to come aboard our lady ships and we'll match your current loyalty status — while giving you more luxurious perks on top of that. But no need to wait, you'll automatically become a Sea-Rover and get Deep Blue Extras on your very first voyage sailing through December 31, 2024. Just submit your proof here, book a voyage, and VIP status is automatically unlocked.

image.thumb.png.3fc608edc3c38e3aad644a6b6ac61294.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

In all fairness who needs a cabin cleaned more than once a day anyway.

But for the rest Virgin seems to have their finger on the pulse.

This question was hotly debated on the RCL board when the change was made.  I will say what I said then...it's not about cleaning twice a day...for me.  It's about having fresh towels in the evening as well as turn down service.  And if I have dishes that need to be removed, they are removed as opposed to waiting until the next day...or worse, placed in the hall.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I think this is great.  Competition for customers is a good thing.  

Suite access without dedicated support got my attention.  If they were sailing the itinerary I really want I would switch over to Virgin.

As for nightly turn down, it's something I really enjoyed this summer on DCL (non-suite cabin) so I  guess I'm one of those people who would like my cabin cleaned twice even though we leave it pretty neat and tidy.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, doghog said:

We looked at VV last year for our March 2024 Caribbean cruise. To bad their Caribbean intinaries are so limited. Booked with Princess instead. 

Yes, their itineraries don’t look appealing and is the reason I haven’t already tried them. Maybe they will read these comments and make some changes 😉

• Like 4

Worth a look for sure. Weren’t they requiring payment way early at one time? Or am I confusing them with someone else? 

We’re at a place in life where longer cruises are possible, so I need to look at that. Not that familiar with their itineraries. 

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This question was hotly debated on the RCL board when the change was made.  I will say what I said then...it's not about cleaning twice a day...for me.  It's about having fresh towels in the evening as well as turn down service.  And if I have dishes that need to be removed, they are removed as opposed to waiting until the next day...or worse, placed in the hall.

I didn’t miss the evening service at all, but we did request an extra supply of towels in case we needed them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

Weren’t they requiring payment way early at one time? Or am I confusing them with someone else? 

I know this to be true of Viking..not sure of VV.

29 minutes ago, doghog said:

We looked at VV last year for our March 2024 Caribbean cruise. To bad their Caribbean intinaries are so limited. Booked with Princess instead. 

Agree.  Just took a look...4 and 5 night sailings in the Caribbean and nothing too exciting.  Also, in reading the room descriptions it has a real Hard Rock vibe to it.  Really not for me but will likely appeal to some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

I didn’t miss the evening service at all, but we did request an extra supply of towels in case we needed them. 

Well one of the things that Celebrity has done is allow those who don't really want the twice daily service to opt out of the second one.  I like this option as opposed to just reducing it to one for all as has been implemented on other lines.  I guess I just like the element of choice.

• Like 11