Forced Disembarkation in NYC one day early for ship christening on 10/12

Chefdi13

7 minutes ago, Chefdi13 said:

When I asked the same question, I was told only the Hotel Edison is an available option. That’s why I’ve requested that EJ put this in writing so we understand fully what our options are.

Thank you much i am set to sail October 3 and have some mixed feelings right now

32 minutes ago, jsea said:

My TA said Edition or similar. Sure would love to know what’s “or similar” 🙂

I am confused.  The OP said the Hotel "Edison" and now you say the Hotel "Edition."  The Edition is certainly a better property than the Edison, but the Edition is nowhere near Times Square.  So, what are we talking about?

The email I received from my TA said The Edition Times Square (which opened in 2019 - the original Edition in the Flatiron District opened in 2015). I do hope Explora plans to use The Edition and not Hotel Edison as the latter would simply be unacceptable for the cruise brand.

“If you would like to decline the invitation to the ceremony, Explora will reimburse you for the one night of the curtailed journey and, depending on your onward travel arrangements, can offer the following options:

An overnight stay in The Edition Hotel Time Square (or similar) in New York  
Or
A Future Journey Credit with a value of EUR 250 per person.”

3 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

I just got off the phone with my TA i too am on this sailing originalky set to disemark on the 13th. .this is a totally unacceptable situation.  In fact my TA Advised That EJ is offering 250 Euros per petsin future cruise credit and a night in times square. 

They were required all boarded passengers to disembark with all their luggage and either. Get back on later in the day after the ceremony or end the cruise.

Ilwr plan to call E J tomorrow E J wants an answer by tomorrow 

Really bad form

Looking forward to what other passengers are doing

Thanks

Yes, I heard.  But I heard you only need to be off three hours. We were going to get off anyway and go see things.  Idon't understand your problems?

1 hour ago, Caroldoll said:

Yes, I heard.  But I heard you only need to be off three hours. We were going to get off anyway and go see things.  Idon't understand your problems?

Leave ship with all luggage is what I've heard.  I think you would agree that elevates it to onerous.

14 minutes ago, crickette said:

Leave ship with all luggage is what I've heard.  I think you would agree that elevates it to onerous.

Yes it seems so full pack everything out of cabin then after  ceremony go through reboarding process

Will know more tomorrow 

However the 10 night cruise on EJ website is now listed as a 9 night cruise

I'm sailing in four days and getting off on the 13th. (Well, it's now the 12t) and I just confirmed with my travel professional, who received the email yesterday but was on vacation and forwarded it to me.

The Edition Hotel Times Square (NOT THE EDISON), $150 per person for incidentals, Transfer from the ship to the Edition.

Attend the Naming because it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will likely never get a chance to again. Get off the ship by 9:00am with my carry on luggage due to a coast guard inspection. Get back on the ship an hour or two later until the ship is cleared by coast guard.

Edited by Ljames23

Anyone in the UK affected should get their travel agent to check the ABTA requirements in this situation as the “act of God” get out clause does not apply. 

I can’t see the answer why do you have to get off the ship?  Other lines have christened vessels with paying guests onboard 

I find this  disgusting and dreatful  - is that luxury ???

A horrible way to deal with clients on a so said luxury line ! 

A few years ago there was a delay of the Europa 2  in Limassol, all the pax were receiving 2 nights in various 4 stars hotels ( the only 5 starred hotel was fully booked   )  in half board  + refund of the 2 days and a free bottle of wine and an addtional 100 € on board credit.  

An arrangement suitable for a 2 starred line ( i think there still is one in the Uk 😜)

also saying to the passengers who booked that cruise : go away out !  our guests ? are more important as you all !! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I find this  disgusting and dreatful  - is that luxury ???

A horrible way to deal with clients on a so said luxury line ! 

A few years ago there was a delay of the Europa 2  in Limassol, all the pax were receiving 2 nights in various 4 stars hotels ( the only 5 starred hotel was fully booked   )  in half board  + refund of the 2 days and a free bottle of wine and an addtional 100 € on board credit.  

An arrangement suitable for a 2 starred line ( i think there still is one in the Uk 😜)

also saying to the passengers who booked that cruise : go away out !  our guests ? are more important as you all !! 

Aren’t passengers guests with hosts if I’m to believe the blogger?

I am sure all the New York based ones will be back onboard for the party (oh dear some whinging payers had to go uptown) although some are a little more silent these days - probably moved on to tell people how special another line makes them 😜

5 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Yes it seems so full pack everything out of cabin then after  ceremony go through reboarding process

Will know more tomorrow 

However the 10 night cruise on EJ website is now listed as a 9 night cruise

Humm... At least your post summed to all the other added more clarity for the problem, little bit less crazy on EJ's part, but again: They should have predicted it in due time and acted accordingly, so crazy that is:

By and large; it seems clear for me that the ports authority needs to do a full special safety inspection on the ship prior to the christening ceremony. On those ceremonies it is usual to have the main city's mayor, the State Governor, some Congress Representatives and Senators, maybe in extreme, some SCOTUS judges or say Vice-POTUS Kamala Harris. Those inspections would require an empty ship. It may be part of the protocol for those type of experiences... That doesn't excuse poor and late communication from EJ. It seems that things are slowly improving at the compensation hotel though.

Have a wonderful day!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Humm... At least your post summed to all the other added more clarity for the problem, little bit less crazy on EJ's part, but again: They should have predicted it in due time and acted accordingly, so crazy that is:

By and large; it seems clear for me that the ports authority needs to do a full special safety inspection on the ship prior to the christening ceremony. On those ceremonies it is usual to have the main city's mayor, the State Governor, some Congress Representatives and Senators, maybe in extreme, some SCOTUS judges or say Vice-POTUS Kamala Harris. Those inspections would require an empty ship. It may be part of the protocol for those type of experiences... That doesn't excuse poor and late communication from EJ. It seems that things are slowly improving at the compensation hotel though.

Have a wonderful day!

So how come Viking Saturn made its first call in the US and was inspected and christened in New York with various dignatories in June with no inconvenience to guests who were on the arriving or departing cruise?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, uktog said:

So how come Viking Saturn made its first call in the US and was inspected and christened in New York with various dignatories in June with no inconvenience to guests who were on the arriving or departing cruise?

Don't know. Something happened though...

4 hours ago, uktog said:

They put some thought into the process

• Haha 1

As one who will be on the effected cruise, my attitude has no changed to "we will wait and see."  Why?  The one constant with EJ has been their propensity to change their minds/policies on a near weekly basis, with little notice or communication to the paying customers.  Why should this Oct 12 situation be any different?  It occurs to me that all that we hear now (and we have still heard nothing official) will more than likely change (several times) between now and Oct 12.

We recently booked a 2025 Seabourn cruise.  There is little question in my mind that the cruise will happen as scheduled and the quality will be as expected, and we can make pre-cruise plans (in Europe) based on the scheduled sailing date.  Could we ever have that faith in EJ?  Doubtful.  As one who is in his 70s, I doubt we will live long enough to see our faith in this line return to the expected norm.  Whatever your opinion of EJ, it is hard to argue that this is a line that "puts its paying passengers last and views them as mere sheep."

Hank

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

Especially those of us who have been affected, if we stay active on the boards and keep the public informed.

Sorry for your situation.

Just my 2 cents: MSC remains great on me on the MAINSTREAM cruise market net price target point. They simply deliver what for EU 4* standards is what should to be delivered, believe me or not. But now this 5*+ venture is something above of abysmal JIMHO. They're simply not prepared for the segment yet, if ever they'll come close.

Another strange news, perhaps proof of their inadequacy to the segment coming up from the EJ social media presence elsewhere: They state they'll have a fleet of 6 ships: 2 regular oil one; 2 LNG ones; and today they converted the last 2 options for Liquid Hydrogen ones!... I understand the Venice and Norway ecological limitations from now on, but Liquid Hydrogen, really?... A week cruise on said ships would cost round EUR 10,000 per guest on the cheapest accommodation if that conversion would fruit reality! Finland and Iceland going out of LH for the car supply industry for low demand. Portugal rescheduling their current resilience EU program out of low LH demand as well, and MSC going full LH on 2 ships. Forgive me!... 3 sub-fleets in a 6 ships fleet is very amateurish for a more than 100 years old maritime business out there!...

19 hours ago, Ljames23 said:

I'm sailing in four days and getting off on the 13th. (Well, it's now the 12t) and I just confirmed with my travel professional, who received the email yesterday but was on vacation and forwarded it to me.

The Edition Hotel Times Square (NOT THE EDISON), $150 per person for incidentals, Transfer from the ship to the Edition.

Attend the Naming because it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will likely never get a chance to again. Get off the ship by 9:00am with my carry on luggage due to a coast guard inspection. Get back on the ship an hour or two later until the ship is cleared by coast guard.

I spoke to our TA today and received further clarification on this change. Most of what you posted is consistent with what I learned.  You are correct the hotel is Hotel Edition Times Square. We will disembark on the 12th as we do not want the inconvenience of hanging around for an undetermined amount of time during the Christening ceremony.

We will take the 10% credit of our total trip cost, along with $150pp for incidentals and a transfer to the hotel and enjoy our extended time in NYC.

2 minutes ago, Chefdi13 said:

I spoke to our TA today and received further clarification on this change. Most of what you posted is consistent with what I learned.  You are correct the hotel is Hotel Edition Times Square. We will disembark on the 12th as we do not want the inconvenience of hanging around for an undetermined amount of time during the Christening ceremony.

We will take the 10% credit of our total trip cost, along with $150pp for incidentals and a transfer to the hotel and enjoy our extended time in NYC.

We will disembark on thex12th as well and got a flight that day which we changed from the 13th

I did not know you can get the 10% plus incidentals and hotel 

Look forward  to meeting you on board we will havevto sort out how to locate us