Last Minute Booking Cost Savings?

Tutone56

Hey everyone, I’ve seen this question asked before but couldn’t find the posts.  My SIL was wondering if she has some unexpected time off and booked a cruise somewhat last minute, are there any cost savings gained.  I realize room selection would be limited.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Some of the best last minute deals include extra loyalty points at a low price.  Just saw a 10 nighter from Baltimore to Quebec and the ten nights back to Baltimore again, both cruises were selling for $499 per person for an inside cabin on the Sky.  Gonna write a review about it.

39 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

Hey everyone, I’ve seen this question asked before but couldn’t find the posts.  My SIL was wondering if she has some unexpected time off and booked a cruise somewhat last minute, are there any cost savings gained.  I realize room selection would be limited.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Search for cruises starting 9/30 and see what you find. You decide if it is worth booking during the shutdown. 

28 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

What do you mean by shutdown, I'm not familiar with that, thanks.

Sorry,,, Your statement of unexpected time off just triggered a bad assumption that you SIL would be impacted by the US government shutdown. Get locked out of your office and eventually get paid to be on a cruise... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, cruises sailing out of US ports could be affected by a government shutdown.  Customs would not be working.  I am assuming that all NON Essential goverment employees would not be working.

Customs and TSA is essential service and will not be effect by the shutdown. only the non essential will be completely shut down

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

She does not work for the government and wouldn't be affected by a shutdown.  Just wanted to know if booking a last minute cruise would possibly be less expensive.

Possibly. But it could be the other side too- no rooms to be had.  Some cruises the rates go through the roof as the sailing approaches. (Maybe they drop them at  the very very end, but the pre 9/11 show up at the cruise dock and ask if there are rooms left is long gone.)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

She does not work for the government and wouldn't be affected by a shutdown.  Just wanted to know if booking a last minute cruise would possibly be less expensive.

It's definitely possible.  I am on a cruise leaving 10/1 and about 3-4 weeks ago, prices got super cheap including for suites - then, pretty rapidly, everything sold out, so as the prior poster said, last minute booking can cut both ways.

8 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

Always seeing late deals super cheap as the bidding upgrade system frees up inside cabins which they almost give away.

I just do any cruise anywhere and sort on price then look what's available.

Some good one from Southampton (no flight for us)

Pearl from Boston are ok end September then back from Quebec.

Transatlantic some really good deals and airlines have sales on air at the moment.

Just missed 50% off free at sea booking in UK/EU.

• Thanks 1

Yes, absolutely.  Booking "somewhat last minute" requires flexibility, but can certainly result in some significant discounts. It helps if she is relatively close to one or more of the major departure ports and doesn't have to deal with airfare.  (Being out of California, I envy the options that the Floridians have.)

We did a "somewhat last minute" cruise earlier this year, booking an NCL Mexican Riviera cruise at just over a month out.  The deal was good enough that we had two other family members join us as Solos (not having to pay a solo supplement.)  Pre tax, fees and gratuities, the cruise fare was under $100 per day per person. 

That said, and while we love NCL, they've stated that their financial strategy is that they'd rather sail with some open rooms than discount too much just to fill the ship.   Other lines are discounting more heavily. 

Looking at one of the sites with a 90 day ticker, I'm seeing 30+ Caribbean itineraries in the next 90 days in the under $75 per person per day range.  The MSC Seaside is $36 per night per person for a Nov 12th cruise, double that if you want a balcony.

5 hours ago, Ixtoras said:

Yes, absolutely.  Booking "somewhat last minute" requires flexibility, but can certainly result in some significant discounts. It helps if she is relatively close to one or more of the major departure ports and doesn't have to deal with airfare.  (Being out of California, I envy the options that the Floridians have.)

We did a "somewhat last minute" cruise earlier this year, booking an NCL Mexican Riviera cruise at just over a month out.  The deal was good enough that we had two other family members join us as Solos (not having to pay a solo supplement.)  Pre tax, fees and gratuities, the cruise fare was under $100 per day per person. 

That said, and while we love NCL, they've stated that their financial strategy is that they'd rather sail with some open rooms than discount too much just to fill the ship.   Other lines are discounting more heavily. 

Looking at one of the sites with a 90 day ticker, I'm seeing 30+ Caribbean itineraries in the next 90 days in the under $75 per person per day range.  The MSC Seaside is $36 per night per person for a Nov 12th cruise, double that if you want a balcony.

NCL may say they won't discount and sail with empty cabins  in practice they are pushing to fill the ships.

They have been hiding price drops with the upgrade system and discount vouchers.

That has been leaving a batch of I sides they sell off often with no solo sup.

• Like 1