First Timer HAL Cruiser Questions

PointsNerd

Hi folks,

I'm a first time HAL cruiser and we are booked on the 12-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer on December 3, 2023 on the Rotterdam.  We've booked an Inside Cabin on the aft of the ship and it seems to be pretty small (156 sq ft).  Wondering if you folks might be able to provide a bit of advice and tips for a first timer.

Does HAL offer cheaper upgrades closer in to the sail date?  And if so, how does it work?  I've seen mention of email offers but as a seasoned cruiser of Disney Cruise Lines, I'm more used to having to inquire about upgrades at embarkation day - does that happen at HAL as well?

Also, any recommendations on worthwhile premium restaurants to book aboard the Rotterdam? 

For excursion, we've always rolled our own due to the expense on DCL but is it worthwhile doing it through HAL?

TIA!

We have been in 1 of those inside aft cabins on the N Statendam (sister ship) & they are small but well appointed.  We had plenty of closet space & the shower was larger w/ glass doors instead of plastic curtain. There was a pretty big TV, ample electrical outlets.  We spend very little time in our cabin, so didn't mind the small size.

I agree Tamarind is a great economical choice for specialty dining.

HAL has an HIA (have it all) pkg which includes specialty dining, a drink pkg, shore excursion credit, & wifi. The cost is $50 per day, per person & both people in the cabin have to purchase it.  You might check into it to see if it would work for you.

We do HAL tours frequently- some have been great, others not so great.  We have also done the Panama canal 3x, really enjoyed it every time.  For the canal you will want to be all over the ship to get the best views.  We had a balcony for 2 of the transits, but were out on deck for most of the canal day.

Enjoy your 1st HAL cruise.

• Like 3

As an alternative to HAL excursions, you might want to check your Roll Call for the cruise.  Often people will book a 6-person van for an excursion that is less expensive and more comfortable than the HAL excursions and look for persons to join them.

Ray

• Like 1

My only canal cruise was with Celebrity and we did all our tours by linking up with Roll Call people.

Recently cruised Alaska on HAL and booked all tours through private operators. Most cruise lines are similar in pricing of tours, i.e. overpriced, so try Roll Call first.

I only do the ship tours when there is something I would like to see or do, not covered by a private operator, e.g. a Maori cultural talk in a waka whare (canoe house) and participating in a paddle tour in a war canoe (waka) in Wellington harbour, New Zealand.

5 hours ago, PointsNerd said:

...we are booked on the 12-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer on December 3, 2023 on the Rotterdam.  We've booked an Inside Cabin on the aft of the ship and it seems to be pretty small (156 sq ft).  

Does HAL offer cheaper upgrades closer in to the sail date?  And if so, how does it work?  I've seen mention of email offers but as a seasoned cruiser of Disney Cruise Lines, I'm more used to having to inquire about upgrades at embarkation day - does that happen at HAL as well?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Your Roll Call (group of people on your sailing) is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2912606-rotterdam-dec-3-2023-12-day-panama-canal-sunfarer/#comment-64760081

That is where you will potentially find people doing private excursions that may have space.

I have not seen or heard of people getting upgrades at embarkation on HAL. After Final Payment Date, prices may drop, occasionally increase. If you booked through a travel agent, they will have to be your liaison for upgrades. If you used a Personal Cruise Consultant, let them know you are interested in upgrade offers. If you simply booked with the HAL "operator" you will need to call at some time and inquire. I don't have the phone number handy -- someone should be along and inform and also about how far out to ask. 

Nami Sushi is reasonable and probably my fave. Call and see what might be offered for a paid upgrade. I've done that and it worked out great. But, do not do a guarantee. You can end up in a stateroom in a bad place like under the Lido or near the World Stage.  A guarantee can really end up being a bad deal. If you do a paid upgrade, pick your stateroom. Download the Rotterdam pdf from HAL and try to get a stateroom between other staterooms...above and below.

Edited by AKJonesy

You will love the Rotterdam!  We originally booked a verandah cabin (VD category) and about 3 weeks before our sailing, we were offered an upgrade by HAL.  I cannot remember the first offer, but we declined because it was in a location we disliked.  The second offer from HAL came later - perhaps a week before our sailing.  This was for a Vista Class suite (V category) at a significant discount so we accepted.  If you are offered an upgrade, find out the Cabin # and use a cruise deck reference so you know exactly what you're getting.  And remember: you don't have to accept an offer.  Many upgrade offers will be for a good cabin category but for a bad location (which is why many are still available).  If you accept an upgrade offer, your original reservation will be permanently lost.  I don't know anyone's experience with trying to upgrade on embarkation day at the Guest Services desk.  

As far as excursions, I would recommend comparing HAL's offerings at each port with what is available though hubs like viator, venturesashore, shoreexcursioneer, traveladvisor, allatours, and guruwalk.  Excursions that involve transportation are a good bet with the cruise line since you're guaranteed not to be left behind or found on youtube as a pier runner.  We were on a 14-day cruise in the Baltic and had very good experiences with all of the excursions booked through HAL.  They are very efficient at getting passengers disembarked, but I would strongly recommend showing up at least 30 minutes early prior to the posted meeting time for group excursions. 

Edited by sailawayward

5 hours ago, PointsNerd said:

Also, any recommendations on worthwhile premium restaurants to book aboard the Rotterdam? 

For excursion, we've always rolled our own due to the expense on DCL but is it worthwhile doing it through HAL?

Tamarind for sure, for the atmosphere. You can also have drinks there without a dinner reservation, or before it. Oops, I didn't mean to imply it was only for the atmosphere! Just a better atmosphere than the others. 

We were on sister ship Koningsdam for 16 days over New Year 2023. We ate in all of the specialty restaurants, including Rudi's on NYE (which is also our anniversary). Rudi's is like a fancy restaurant on shore. Pinnacle Grill on the K'dam is NOT like an upper-class steakhouse (that it supposed to be). I found the decor just above Denny's and the service slow and impersonal. It's OK for lunch if you have OBC (on board credit) to spend.

Tamarind is slightly exotic. If you like sushi, you can order from the Nami Sushi bar for an upcharge.

Canaletto has no real atmosphere either as it is a curtained off part of the Lido -- but we ate there more than the others because at least they had more choices that appealed! (We do not eat shellfish or much pork.)

Here is a link to the upcharge restaurants menus, courtesy CC'er @Crew News:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/

As far as shore excursions, read the Roll Call I linked to previously. I would stick to ship's excursions in Panama on your itinerary! They won't actually hold the ship (Panama schedules are rigid), but they will get to back to the ship as smoothly as possible.

• Like 1

We're caffeine addicts, so our favorite place on the ship became the Grand Dutch Cafe.  We felt like we were friends with that entire crew by the time our cruise was over; and we really appreciated how gracious they all were at such a busy location.  Definitely the best coffee on the ship (MDR coffee was very meh).  A fantastic spot on the ship for a drink is an extension of the Half Moon Bar on Deck 2.  There is a row of window tables midship on the starboard side directly in front of the entrance to Club Orange that offer a breathtaking view and you're right over the water.  There are only a few 2-tops against the windows; so when we were able to get a table at just the right time, our bartender Julius really made each experience feel special.

• Like 1

Wow!  Such great information!  Thank you all for sharing and I can't wait to get aboard.

One question that I can't find a lot of talk about is drinks.  We aren't big into alcohol but like the occassional drink.  Drink packages never really work out economically for us but I'm not sure how HAL handles soft drinks.  I'm actually more interested in soda water (flavored or not) ... is that included as part of the free aspect of the cruise or do we need to get into some kind of drink package?

I understand that HAL is doesn't allow for drinks to be brought on board?  Or maybe that was another cruise line I was researching?

If you don't have a drink package, you'll have to pay for club soda by the can. I cannot remember the brand they used on the ship, but I was happy with their tonic water.  They didn't carry diet tonic water, though.  I cannot remember the cost per can but I want to say $7 (?) -- just my estimate since we were under the HIA with the Signature drink package so sodas & coffees were also included.  Gratuities are always separate.  Without HIA, there are other drink packages that may suit you.  Just be sure to purchase your drink package prior to sailing because the cost on embarkation day will most likely be higher.  The drink packages are shown online in your booking along with excursions and dining reservations.  Each person in your cabin has to have the same drink package.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your first HAL cruise.

Here are some tips to get you started:

• Take advantage of the unlimited laundry for $8.50/day when purchased for the entire cruise.  Items turned in at dinnertime will be back the next morning and morning turn-ins are back the same evening.  I pack for just four days and turn-in laundry morning and evenings.
  • The NY Deli & Pizza overlooking the indoor pool is a seldom-discovered eating location with free made-to-order pizza, chicken wings, and even breakfast.
  • HAL uses local time and not ship time like some cruise lines.
  • Your stateroom will be available when you board.
  • Dressy/Gala/Formal night minimum dress for men is a collared shirt and slacks but you can be as formal as you wish.  You will see about 20 gowns and tuxedos.
  • There are drawers under the foot of your bed for extra storage.
  • Bring a small collapsible ice cooler as the ice buckets in the room hold about five ice cubes.
  • There a Late Snack in the Lido Market every night at 10:00 PM.
  • Fitness center is free and opens around 6:00 AM.
  • Luggage Direct is available from FLL.
  • Here is a link to a Rotterdam daily program to give you an idea of what to expect: 
    Daily Program for Rotterdam
  • There are both AC and USB outlets on each side of the bed
  • image.jpeg.e5aee5339cbaa9ad4e18086e25772f78.jpeg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sailawayward said:

We never thought to bring our own cooler to hold ice.  Any suggestions on getting ice restocked to alleviate more work for the crew?  

The crew refills ice at least once per day as part of their cleaning routine.  My 18-can collapsible cooler needs refilling ever two days and works great for keeping beer/sodas around 32 degrees.  Your minibar temps are only 38 degrees in the back and 43 degrees in the door.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your first HAL cruise.

Here are some tips to get you started:

• Take advantage of the unlimited laundry for $8.50/day when purchased for the entire cruise.  Items turned in at dinnertime will be back the next morning and morning turn-ins are back the same evening.  I pack for just four days and turn-in laundry morning and evenings.
  • The NY Deli & Pizza overlooking the indoor pool is a seldom-discovered eating location with free made-to-order pizza, chicken wings, and even breakfast.
  • HAL uses local time and not ship time like some cruise lines.
  • Your stateroom will be available when you board.
  • Dressy/Gala/Formal night minimum dress for men is a collared shirt and slacks but you can be as formal as you wish.  You will see about 20 gowns and tuxedos.
  • There are drawers under the foot of your bed for extra storage.
  • Bring a small collapsible ice cooler as the ice buckets in the room hold about five ice cubes.
  • There a Late Snack in the Lido Market every night at 10:00 PM.
  • Fitness center is free and opens around 6:00 AM.
  • Luggage Direct is available from FLL.
  • Here is a link to a Rotterdam daily program to give you an idea of what to expect: 
    Daily Program for Rotterdam
  • There are both AC and USB outlets on each side of the bed
  • image.jpeg.e5aee5339cbaa9ad4e18086e25772f78.jpeg

You have better luck with laundry than me.  It was spotty earlier this month in a Neptune.   After 48 hours I called the concierge to inquire.  They hadn’t started it yet.  

A day and a half was pretty typical.   Never 12 or even 24 hours.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PointsNerd said:

Wow!  Such great information!  Thank you all for sharing and I can't wait to get aboard.

One question that I can't find a lot of talk about is drinks.  We aren't big into alcohol but like the occassional drink.  Drink packages never really work out economically for us but I'm not sure how HAL handles soft drinks.  I'm actually more interested in soda water (flavored or not) ... is that included as part of the free aspect of the cruise or do we need to get into some kind of drink package?

I understand that HAL is doesn't allow for drinks to be brought on board?  Or maybe that was another cruise line I was researching?

If you carefully analyze the HIA package you may find it makes sense for you. 

In my case, a 17 day solo Hawaii cruise HIA cost 850.  I'm using the 200 excursion credit for a Pearl Harbor excursion.  The 2 specialty dinners are worth about $100.  I'm estimating that the Surf wifi (which I will upgrade to Stream onboard) package has a value of about $200.  Folding all of that in, it makes the cost of the included drink package about 350.  Which, on a 17 day cruise comes out to just over $20/day.  It's vacation, so I'll probably have 3-4 drinks spread out over the day.  Plus I enjoy specialty coffees, so a la carte I would be spending well over 20/day.  So for me, I'll come out ahead with the HIA package. 

It all just depends on what you will use.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Crew News said:

The crew refills ice at least once per day as part of their cleaning routine.  My 18-can collapsible cooler needs refilling ever two days and works great for keeping beer/sodas around 32 degrees.  Your minibar temps are only 38 degrees in the back and 43 degrees in the door.

Great advice! My wife uses a lot of ice, and as we were in a Neptune suite on our last cruise, the easiest way to get enough was to go back and forth to the Neptune Lounge a few times a day. But next cruise is in a verandah, and we will get a collapsible cooler! Any recommendations?

• Like 1

Perhaps someone could shed some light. 

The Coca Cola Package includes unlimited soda from the Coca Cola Freestyle Fountain Soda Machine.  Does the HIA include access to the Freestyle Fountain Soda?  If not, does that mean that you are limited to 15 drinks per day and if you want to use part of that allocation, you are getting cans of soda?

11 minutes ago, PointsNerd said:

The Coca Cola Package includes unlimited soda from the Coca Cola Freestyle Fountain Soda Machine.  Does the HIA include access to the Freestyle Fountain Soda?  If not, does that mean that you are limited to 15 drinks per day and if you want to use part of that allocation, you are getting cans of soda?

I have never seen the Freestyle Soda Machine working! But if it did, the SBP or EBP would not cover it; if like the one on RCL, it takes a special glass (that you have to carry around!) to trigger it to dispense.

If the HIA is including the Signature Beverage Package, yes sodas and canned water count against your 15/day. If your HIA includes the Elite Beverage Package, then the 15 is only alcoholic drinks! This has been confirmed recently. The trick is to get unopened cans on "light" days (first day, long port days) and keep in your fridge. You can have your room steward empty the fridge of mini-bar items.

When does HIA include EBP (as well as Premium Internet)? you ask. Usually shortly after the cruise is "launched" as part of Early Booking Bonus promo. Occasionally in some other promo, not predictable.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Great advice! My wife uses a lot of ice, and as we were in a Neptune suite on our last cruise, the easiest way to get enough was to go back and forth to the Neptune Lounge a few times a day. But next cruise is in a verandah, and we will get a collapsible cooler! Any recommendations?

Mine was a 18-can Coleman but Amazon says it is no longer available.

• Like 1