Q&A with President Laura Hodges Bethge

rmedistro

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Some of us like our balconies.  Should not have to choose between better food and a balcony...

Potentially, A middle step along the way to when cruising moves from pick your perquisite to pick your poison.

We have enjoyed cruising with Celebrity so much; C-class, M-class, and S-class; it is sad to see the financial/economic factors drive these kind of corporate decisions, Hobson's choices for consumers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Does Laura mention anything about STARLINK Internet?  Just wondering as we are on Equinox right now, with STARLINK and Premium Internet and I cannot watch her presentation as it freezes every two minutes and restarts 5 minutes later.  The premium Internet is terrible and definitely not an improvement over the old Internet.  

I would contact the IT manager onboard and show him/her the performance of the webinar.  I never have trouble streaming with premium even in South America and on TA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I would contact the IT manager onboard and show him/her the performance of the webinar.  I never have trouble streaming with premium even in South America and on TA.

Agree, contact the IT team on board, they will sort out your issue.  Ever since the arrival of Starlink, the wifi has been stellar, a huge upgrade!

At the end of the day loyalty is a two way street.

We have 2 upcoming X cruises. One in a suite, one in a SV.

Last week I booked a third. With Regent. If we like it great. If not will look around again. It also was a good price. Just over £6000 (7 nights) for a concierge cabin so includes flights and pre night stay as well as drinks and excursions. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

At the end of the day loyalty is a two way street.

We have 2 upcoming X cruises. One in a suite, one in a SV.

Last week I booked a third. With Regent. If we like it great. If not will look around again. It also was a good price. Just over £6000 (7 nights) for a concierge cabin so includes flights and pre night stay as well as drinks and excursions. 

Is that per person ? 

1 hour ago, wineoclock said:

Congratulations.  I have to be doing something wrong.  While I have seen rooms for around that price but never have I seen that with included airfare and hotel.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Congratulations.  I have to be doing something wrong.  While I have seen rooms for around that price but never have I seen that with included airfare and hotel.   

If you book a concierge or above cabin, the hotel and transfer is included.

On 9/27/2023 at 3:33 PM, zitsky said:

Well it was just like my marriage.  Because I tell my husband he’s wrong and he says, yes honey, you’re absolutely right.  🙂

My husband says - Do you want to be right of happy?? 😂😂...I think he chooses to be happy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I agree, the blank space is likely to be some sort of common meeting area or possibly a return to a Captain's Club lounge for Elite and above, like the Diamond Club on RC ships. 

I don't think they'll change to foot print of the ship plans to address the IV issues. I think there will be a couple of decks with IVs that'll be advertised as having larger rooms. Then there will be cabins that are designed with more privacy between room and veranda area. The windows will be removed so they can be called true balconies. Sliders will be installed so a person can go outside while your partner can remain in the air conditioned room.

I think you are spot on with your IV into balcony prediction.  I also believe they will charge a premium for these balcony rooms. These will primarily be located on positions on the ship that have the least amount of wind drag and won't impact fuel consumption too much (which is the real plus to cruise lines for using IVe).  Since balconies have always come with a higher cost on cruises, adding these and charging more for them wouldn't be completely out of line.  This will be a "test" to see how much more people are willing to pay for true balconies and this research will greatly determine the balance of IV vs balconies on the post-Edge class ships coming next.

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, but would it be technically possible for the IV folding doors be redesigned to make them more air flow resistant when closed to allow the cabin AC to remain on when the sliding window is open while the doors are close? 

With enough money anything is possible 😁

even now there could be enough cooling to keep the room cool enough with the window open

it would be  just like have your car AC on high with your convertible top down 🤣

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, but would it be technically possible for the IV folding doors be redesigned to make them more air flow resistant when closed to allow the cabin AC to remain on when the sliding window is open while the doors are close? 

Yes I was thinking that this may be what they do on E #5.  I am not sure about the cost.  But making the IV usable would be a good start.

Still not a balcony,  but a usable open/close window.  Much better than the current IVs.

• Like 1

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

With enough money anything is possible 😁

even now there could be enough cooling to keep the room cool enough with the window open

it would be  just like have your car AC on high with your convertible top down 🤣

I think there is more to it, especially with regards to the air pressure along with airflow within different sections of the ship, especially when its moving. Ever notice when you're walking down the hall when the ship is moving and hear a whistling sound from under someone's door that has their balcony door open? IMHO there can be no "whistling" when the balcony shutter doors are closed and the AC is allowed to stay on. That would be key. But then I'm just over here in the peanut gallery trying to figure out a way to give us folks who like to sit on the balcony feeling the elements while my DW likes to sit in the cabin playing computer games during our downtimes with the AC on while say cruising around in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I think there is more to it, especially with regards to the air pressure along with airflow within different sections of the ship, especially when its moving. Ever notice when you're walking down the hall when the ship is moving and hear a whistling sound from under someone's door that has their balcony door open? IMHO there can be no "whistling" when the balcony shutter doors are closed and the AC is allowed to stay on. That would be key. But then I'm just over here in the peanut gallery trying to figure out a way to give us folks who like to sit on the balcony feeling the elements while my DW likes to sit in the cabin playing computer games during our downtimes with the AC on while say cruising around in the Caribbean.

I had an airbalancing company for over 30 year ,  just about any airflow problem can be solved 😁

With the controls that are now available it would be easier to do , just need a lot of money 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I put more stock in reviews from people who pay for the item or service. I’d be willing to overlook a lot of issues if cruising on someone else’s dime. 

Yes most people would and that’s why his review is so damning and X should be concerned. They are probably banking on that it will all just blow over eventually, so I don’t see them apologizing or backpedaling unless they see a lot of booking changes. I see videos of people promoting VV and given “rockstar privileges” while they are sailing in a regular balcony stateroom. They never tell you that you can only get rockstar privileges if you book a rockstar suite 🤣 He’s gained a following from being honest and nonbiased which is hard to find these days. I feel like releasing his retreat review video a couple days after Laura’s video is a little funny. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

From this review,  the perks from sailing in a Sky Suite are minimal yet expensive...

He paid 8 grand for a free bottle of water and a butler who is in fact a cleaner.

Hats of to the Celebrity marketing guys who pulled off that stroke ...😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2