Q&A with President Laura Hodges Bethge

rmedistro

13 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I think they are making more money by flipping the cabins on the short itineraries than on one long itinerary.  I mean - if they can turn one cabin 3 times on a 3 - 4 day sailing instead of 1 cabin on a 14 - 16 day sailing, then they make more money.  That is their new model.  Younger people going on the sailings out of Florida instead of older people going on longer sailings out of Europe and South America.  It seems to be filling the ships.  And yes - I agree on the traditional business model - but today it is different.  There is no loyalty - times have changed it seems.  I mean seriously, look at the "perks" associated with the loyalty tiers.  I'm not willing to spend 100K to get a second free bag of laundry, especially when I can have a cruise planned for over a year then poof - they decide "oh we decided not to do this trip, so we cancel it and move the ship from South America to Florida and too bad for you".  Why be loyal to a company that has no regard for you?

We don't have specific numbers but it's at least in part to attract new cruisers.  On the parent company's Q2 earnings call, it was specifically mentioned that short cruises are "the on-ramp for new to cruise and also first to brand"

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’d appreciate it if Celebrity could tell me who they want as customers.  I’m in my late 50’s and only started cruising a few years ago.  If Celebrity doesn’t want my money, they could save me a lot of time that I can spend looking elsewhere.

I would hope you can make that your decision and not be told how and where to spend your money. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

I would hope you can make that your decision and not be told how and where to spend your money. 

🙄

There are plenty of people on this board who seem to think certain pax are no longer welcome.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

I'm very intrigued by the idea of extending CC benefits to SilverSea. We did a last-minute discounted Antarctica expedition with our dear friends (one of which is also our TA) on SilverSea last year which we really loved. Most of our crusing has been on Celebrity, and we've never tried RC. Unless we have grandkids someday, we probably won't. We've definitely discovered since the restart that we enjoy the smaller ships and their ability to get into closer to the action smaller ports. 

We are very seriously considering an Arctic expedition on SS to celebrate PapaFej's 60th birthday next year. A little sweetening of the pot might just be enough to push us into booking. I've also read that SS is relaxing the formality on their newest non-expedition ship (Nova). If that spreads fleet-wide, we'd likely consider SS for "regular" cruises, as well. 

Adding some sort of reciprocity with Silversea will be challenging. The catalyst of their program being mostly a small monetary discounts versus freebie perks that Celebrity offers. You have to surpass 100 days onboard to get the 5% discount and OBC really isn't an incentive like it is on Celebrity. I imagine it would really irk some SS customers who have spent significantly more if someone who has mid-level Celebrity status with zero Silversea nights was getting near the same loyalty benefit they were. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

🙄

There are plenty of people on this board who seem to think certain pax are no longer welcome.

And then they should move on if that is how they feel.  There are plenty of choices out there.  I am moving on after my next 2 as cruising/vacation has changed over the last few years.  

57 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

This argument is tired. I'll be really blunt. People seem to miss this point. Celebrity has 4, soon to be 5, additional ships to fill since 2018. The people that started sailing 25-35 years ago don't have that much time left. You don't see many 90 and 100 year olds cruising. Someone has to fill the cabins, and then some, and that takes tapping some new customers. 

Just as life itself evolves, so do business preferences and needs. The once faithful traveler of 20 years ago has grown older (in some cases, much older), altering their priorities, requirements, and medical needs. In the same manner, well-established restaurants that have withstood the test of time must either evolve to allure a fresh demographic or confront the stark reality that their formerly "loyal" patrons are slowly fading away due to life's typical changes, no longer finding solace at the bar or their cherished table for their beloved weekly dinners.

The business life cycle represents the evolution of a company through various phases over time and is typically categorized into five stages: initiation, expansion, consolidation, maturation, and deterioration. It is the stage of deterioration that a savvy business endeavors to evade, instead exploring alternative avenues of maturation, such as acquiring new clientele to stay relevant and maximize profitability.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

And then they should move on if that is how they feel.  There are plenty of choices out there.  I am moving on after my next 2 as cruising/vacation has changed over the last few years.  

No cruise line is perfect, you have to take the good with the bad.  The more accurate statement is to shop around all cruises and pick the one that checks the most of your boxes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I think the thing a lot of people either don't see our don't want to see is this ... people keep talking about celebrity and listening to their loyal customers.  Well, here the thing.  They aren't.  They want NEW customers.  They don't care about the loyal customers.  Yes, traditionally, in business the goal is to keep your loyal customers.  They aren't doing that.  They want NEW ones.  They want a new market.  If we don't like it, we can move on.  If celebrity can still fill ships without us, they succeeded.  If not, they failed.  We either adapt and enjoy or find a cruise line more aligned with what we desire.  

Very true, and we are one of those elderly Elite+ couples that have moved on to greener pasters, just like we did back in 2018 when HAL decided to implement their Music Walk entertainment strategy to attract the younger crowd. But, as with all things cruising, money talks. I wish them well, and we'll still be checking out their 2026/27 transatlantic cruises to see how competitive they will be.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Screw Tampa 🙄, they should have it port out of Toronto 🤣

Now THAT would be quite the itinerary.  Can they get an E class through the St Lawrence.  If not,  maybe if they just build an E class there, they could still do 3 or 4 day trips.  Toronto / Hamilton / Rochester. That's about as exciting as some of the trips the Apex will be doing.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tfred said:

The customers that X wants are they ones dropping big bucks at any land resort - all inclusive or not - doesnt matter.  I have stayed recently at a few land Marriott resorts and it is pretty easy to spend $1k/day with a standard room, drinks and food on site.  No one is sitting around moaning about the price, service or half of the complaints I see on these boards   If those people got on a ship they would be familiar and impressed with the X offer.  

many X ads promote that the vacation experience is a resort on the ocean - not a cruise.  They would like to keep the 10 cruise a year crowd but how many people have time or the money for that many vacations.  Most take one 1 week vacation and do something else for the rest of vacation days.  

Sounds like a lot of people need to rearrange their priorities to spend vacation ON vacation 🙂

We are squarely in the market that X is trying to draw. Still working. Plenty of vacation time and a sizeable vacation budget.  Only 3 cruises in the next 6 months, and only one of those is on X, which is a change from our Celebrity-loyal past.  "More for less" and petty charges are turn offs when there are cheaper ways to cruise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, D C said:

Sounds like a lot of people need to rearrange their priorities to spend vacation ON vacation 🙂

We are squarely in the market that X is trying to draw. Still working. Plenty of vacation time and a sizeable vacation budget.  Only 3 cruises in the next 6 months, and only one of those is on X, which is a change from our Celebrity-loyal past.  "More for less" and petty charges are turn offs when there are cheaper ways to cruise. 

I wish X would just go and impose a maximum age limit so I know not to waste my time.  Viking makes it pretty obvious.

I just watched the Q&A with CEO Laura and found her to be completely charming, as well as her host, Andrea. 

While these types of canned discussions can be too scripted and promotional, this was not the case here -- I found the range of topics and candid responses to be refreshing. 

Was everything covered and to my complete satisfaction. No. Did I walk away feeling better about X and their future? Yes.

I look forward to more Q&As with Laura in future. It's far more than many other lines are doing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

I just watched the Q&A with CEO Laura and found her to be completely charming, as well as her host, Andrea. 

While these types of canned discussions can be too scripted and promotional, this was not the case here -- I found the range of topics and candid responses to be refreshing. 

Was everything covered and to my complete satisfaction. No. Did I walk away feeling better about X and their future? Yes.

I look forward to more Q&As with Laura in future. It's far more than many other lines are doing.

No joking but do we all feel better about X because of a good, authentic conversation or did they tell us what we want to hear?

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Think of it as a bit like marriage counselling- it takes more than one session to get things back on the right road.

Well it was just like my marriage.  Because I tell my husband he’s wrong and he says, yes honey, you’re absolutely right.  🙂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, D C said:

3 cruises in 6 months is way more than the average vacationer out there. Not many people can afford to or take the vacay time for that   X would be looking for those who take just 1 (maybe 2) vacations a year. Me thinks that people who take multiple cruises every year would have very specific needs that the once a year crowd would not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bikerunner said:

in what category is it cheaper, the ones I look at are more than double what I care to pay for a cruise, I dont care for suites (I can afford them) but see no value in them for me at this point in my traveling style.   

the X Italy cruise is in a suite. The SSea is in their standard veranda

Both are about $10k or so.  SSea includes excursions and a better port selection (smaller) .  Food is at least similar to Luminae   We have been on Apex suites and liked Luminae

we like suites on X as we like big ship activities but want to avoid the crowds when we want to.  To us it also applies when flying.  International business class with lounge access

The SSea selection is mainly on port choices as small ships can go to smaller ports.  The big ship Med cruises are mostly in ports that are 1-2 hours to the actual city.  In the Caribbean it doesnt matter since we are happy with staying on the ship and a wander through the port town. 

• Like 1

While we will be in a Celebrity Suite on our October cruise on the Eclipse, here is our current experience:

Lobster night at DCL’s Royal Court.

Started with the Jarvis Lake William 2018 ($25 corkage). 

For starters we had the Aged Prosciutto and Beefsteak Tomato Salad.

For entrees we each ordered the lobster. We each were asked if we wanted a second, and declined. We were told if we wanted a second, even to share, just let them know. Picture is before the head server de-shelled table side.

For dessert we each ordered the Chocolate Lava Cake.

No matter if you have an inside cabin or deluxe verandah cabin, everyone gets the same and there are no up-charge Premium Offerings on the MDR menus.

To each their own, you choose your best experience.

IMG_8815.jpeg

IMG_8816.jpeg

IMG_8810.jpeg

IMG_8817.jpeg

IMG_8818.jpeg

IMG_8820.jpeg

IMG_8821.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I am not sure how the Perfect Day cruises generate revenue.  They are priced around $60 pp per day for inside.

There are a lot of 'additional fee' items on Coco Cay.  Even in a suite we had to pay for just access to the Coco Cay Beach Club.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

There are a lot of 'additional fee' items on Coco Cay.  Even in a suite we had to pay for just access to the Coco Cay Beach Club.  

What is the charge to have the screaming children run by your beach chair every 15 minutes?

• Like 1