Unfinished Bottles

katmigordon

1 hour ago, katmigordon said:

Assuming that we buy a bottle of champagne on board and don't finish it the night we open it, will they hold onto it for us so we can have it in whatever restaurant we end up in?   And will that include if we go to a specialty one night?

Yes, there are storage for wine/champagne purchased from the ship.  I know the Crown Grill has their own "cellar".  My wait team had to go there to retrieve my bottle for the MDR.  Then they kept it in the MDR.

But wouldn't champagne go flat?

Edited by cr8tiv1

30 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, there are storage for wine/champagne purchased from the ship.  I know the Crown Grill has their own "cellar".  My wait team had to go there to retrieve my bottle for the MDR.  Then they kept it in the MDR.

But wouldn't champagne go flat?

My research says that a bottle of Dom is good for 3 - 5 days after opened.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, katmigordon said:

My research says that a bottle of Dom is good for 3 - 5 days after opened.

With a proper champagne stopper it will keep for a while but it will lose some of its character. 

That pretty much goes for any white wine... with the proper stopper, and with non-sparkling wines that means evacuating out the air as much as possible, 3 days is easy... 5 is pushing it IMO. But don't expect it to taste as good and on day 3-5 it might not be worth it.

YMMV though. This is just my experience and with my taste. But if your taste is more discerning than mine you may say that even 2 days is too long. Like all things with wine it is down to individual taste 🙂 

They will put your cabin number on the bottle and keep it until you ask for it again.  When you want the bottle, tell the waiter your cabin number and the name of the dining room you were in.  They will go and retrieve the bottle.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

YMMV though. This is just my experience and with my taste. But if your taste is more discerning than mine you may say that even 2 days is too long. Like all things with wine it is down to individual taste 🙂 

Basically I have never had a chance to try it, but have always wanted to.  Would prefer to be able to try a glass, but bottle seems to be my only option - but - we wont drink a whole bottle in one meal...  

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
41 minutes ago, jwattle said:

We aren't familiar with it either...just like we aren't familiar with leaving the ship with unspent onboard credit... 😄

My DW always schedules in a shopping trip to the onboard shops the day before disembarkation... while I have an extra glass of wine in Vines 🙂 It doesn't seem equal at all. 😄

2 hours ago, katmigordon said:

Basically I have never had a chance to try it, but have always wanted to.  Would prefer to be able to try a glass, but bottle seems to be my only option - but - we wont drink a whole bottle in one meal...  

Would you like to have dinner together? LOL!

• Haha 3

We're very familiar with unfinished bottles as we like to match the wine we're drinking with what we're eating, which means we could have 2-3 bottles on the go at one time, especially if we're both eating different mains. Typically they are still wines though, we've never tried it with sparkling wines on a cruise although we have done so at home with a good champagne stopper. I'm not sure I'd do it with Dom Perignon though!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, katmigordon said:

I assumed that if they did save the bottle they would have the tools to store it correctly.  Is that incorrect?

IDK if Princess ships carry champagne stoppers.  They do serve some sparkling wine by the glass, so they might.  I bring my own if any plans to have bubbly on a voyage.  I also may bring a stopper or two for regular wine bottles as we do not empty a bottle at one sitting.

ETA:  As @OzKiwiJJ mentioned, we do not finish a bottle at a meal and I could be changing wine from one night to the next as in meat one night and seafood the next.  That Cab blend I enjoyed last night isn't going to work with a fish dish tonight.

Edited by Steelers36

18 hours ago, katmigordon said:

I assumed that if they did save the bottle they would have the tools to store it correctly.  Is that incorrect?

My practice - and recommendation - is to take the bottle with you.  Two main reasons.  I can easily store it in the cabin - including the fridge which isn't all that cold when turned low and I remove wine in time before dinner.  That way, I don't have to wait at dinner while a waiter runs off to fetch it if I was using it elsewhere.  (That said, a good wait crew will have the wine waiting for you the next night if you last dined with them, but that means having same wait staff each night, which we do, but not always the case with DMW).  The other main reason is if I have the wine with me, I can have some later or the next day while getting ready for dinner, etc.  Much more flexibility if you keep the bottles yourself.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2023 at 1:20 AM, katmigordon said:

Assuming that we buy a bottle of champagne on board and don't finish it the night we open it, will they hold onto it for us so we can have it in whatever restaurant we end up in?   And will that include if we go to a specialty one night?

Sorry dude WHAT is an Unfinished Wine Bottle ????