Yacht Club - when move to next level

Wayfairers

Never cruised with Windstar, but saw a ship in port in Venice years ago and have wanted to sail with Windstar since that day.  We prefer long cruises and typically either take a long cruise or do multiple cruises B2B.  When you move to the next Yacht Club level while onboard, do you start the new perks the day you get to the next level or do those perks start with the next cruise?

Perks for the next level start the cruise after you get enough points. My husband reached the points for 4-star in the middle of last cruise. He'll get 4-star perks for the first time next cruise.

I'm not certain what happens if you get to the next level during the first segment of a cruise collector (B2B cruises booked under a single fare). Possibly the new level kicks in for the next segment.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

After our cruise is January we will be ONE NIGHT SHORT of the highest level! UGH!

We are in the same spot after our Nov/Dec TA and Caribbean B2B…4 nights short of Level 4. So my husband says yet another good reason to do another quick 7 day somewhere fun. Twist my arm!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

After our cruise is January we will be ONE NIGHT SHORT of the highest level! UGH!

We are at 89 points. Wish there was a way to get one point. We know people who were very close to Celebrity elite class. They got an offer that included being awarded the needed points. It was a great incentive to book.  

• Like 2

The cost savings of going up a level is fairly limited. The biggest difference is between 3 Star and 4 Star because that adds unlimited WiFi and the laundry package (the latter only makes a difference for cruises under 15 days because everyone gets that free on long cruises). That's $44.50 per day per person for WiFi and laundry or $35 if it's only laundry. Also $25 additional cruise credit per person. Beverage package, excursions and Windstar-branded merchandise get an additional 5% discount which is only of value if you buy those things. 

My husband will be 4-star for the first time on our next cruise and he'll appreciate the free WiFi because it's never been worth the cost of buying it to him. So it's not saving us $35 a day, but will be a nice benefit so he can get his daily Sudoku fix on sea days.

• Like 1

Don"t count on getting any loyalty perks.  On our last WS cruise (Sept 2022), we were told that we not getting the level 3 OBC because we got a discounted rate for the cruise.  We were very annoyed and haven't booked on WS again.  The OBC isn't a big deal. However, the attitude of the loyalty rep is a big deal.  It was the first time that anyone on the crew said no to a request. In reality, before the loyalty program, we cruised on WS because we liked it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Don"t count on getting any loyalty perks.  On our last WS cruise (Sept 2022), we were told that we not getting the level 3 OBC because we got a discounted rate for the cruise.  We were very annoyed and haven't booked on WS again.  The OBC isn't a big deal. However, the attitude of the loyalty rep is a big deal.  It was the first time that anyone on the crew said no to a request. In reality, before the loyalty program, we cruised on WS because we liked it.

I can understand your reaction, but it does seem a bit of "cutting off your nose to spite your face."  If you like cruising on WS, why stress about the loyalty perks?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/15/2023 at 12:23 AM, Nearpost345 said:

we were mid cruise when we hit 90 nights, I asked reception and got instant up grade to free wifi. Now that Windstar uses Starlink, the wife was very good.

That’s interesting. I am at 89 points. If I cruise on WS, can I get free WiFi after the first day?

46 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

That’s interesting. I am at 89 points. If I cruise on WS, can I get free WiFi after the first day?

that was my experience with that particular pursers asst. who was working reception when I asked. Sorry about earlier typo 😀. I should add we were also enjoying a discounted fare,

On 10/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, Redtravel said:

As best I can recall we were not given $ obc as three star passengers either, because our ticket was discounted, but we enjoyed the % off of purchases on board that normally apply to three star passengers . Our fare was based on an interline discount.

12 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

As best I can recall we were not given $ obc as three star passengers either, because our ticket was discounted, but we enjoyed the % off of purchases on board that normally apply to three star passengers . Our fare was based on an interline discount.

We are not interline.  However, we got a nice discount.  We booked very late…2 weeks prior.  WS had changed an itinerary close to the sail date.  The cruise had less than half the capacity.  
If you look at WS specials, short dated cruises are heavily discounted.  The Star Legend changed location due to the war in Middle East. Instead it will sail in the Med.  Med in the winter is not great.  Weather can be wet and cold.  We sailed in the Med in October, not WS.  It was cool. The ports in the Med are popular in the  spring and summer. By October, most tourists are gone. We found lots of closed cafes and shops. Historic sites were open.  

We are onboard the Windsurf on the crossing from Lisbon to St. Maarten. After this cruise, we will have 89 points. 1 to go! Yesterday, we booked a cruise and the gentleman told us that on Day 2 of that cruise, we will move from 3 to 4-Star status and will get all the ‘perks’ of the 4-star except the additional amount of SBC. As I was a bit skeptic, he showed me an email he’d received from the main office moving another guest to the next level on Day 5 of their trip. So, I guess we will wait and see on our Boston to San Juan trip next October!

BTW, crossing is wonderful! Only 113 onboard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SailMaine said:

We are onboard the Windsurf on the crossing from Lisbon to St. Maarten.

Glad you are enjoying the crossing SailMaine.  Was wondering if you had a chance to try the newly installed StarLink internet on the ship? We will be on the Surf in January.

On 12/1/2023 at 3:20 AM, SailMaine said:

BTW, crossing is wonderful! Only 113 onboard!

We will be on in the spring for the return to Europe- I think our fifth crossing on the Windsurf. We also love when the ship is not very full! Enjoy!