Hate to ask this

Jim Avery

I really do hate to start a new thread but the search function has not been any use.  I know there is info on which cabins have doors to the balconies and which cabins have sliders.  I would very much appreciate if the posters who have that info would forgive me for asking a well discussed question and re post the info.

Thanks,

Jim 🥃

3 minutes ago, Traveler1977 said:

Since the topic is being discussed, which type of door is preferable, sliders or conventional doors?  Any downside/upside to one type or the other?

We had a PV with a door and did not like it.  Big push to open and very narrow.  Opens out to the veranda so takes up some of that floor space.  In DVs we have had sliders that were very hard to yank open and one that made squealing noises when opening.  The crew handled that and eliminated the problem but there are issues with both.  I guess as many like doors as those that prefer sliders.

4 minutes ago, Traveler1977 said:

Since the topic is being discussed, which type of door is preferable, sliders or conventional doors?  Any downside/upside to one type or the other?

Over the years, this has generated a lot of controversy.  We very much prefer the slider.  We had the door and picture window on the WC and it was months of squeezing past the desk, to the door, which would catch the wind and be hard to open or close.  Only thing we didn’t like about our room for nearly five months.  Others  insist they must have the door, so they can sit on the sofa and look out the window.  We don’t spend much time in our cabin sitting on the sofa and looking out.  We spend that time on the veranda.  So it’s a personal thing, I guess.  We now have our favorite cabins, 6008 and 6009.  Both forward facing and with sliders.  But some people also think it’s ridiculous to only want to be facing forward from the bed.  But backward facing is like having backward facing seats on a bus or train.  Just makes me feel weird!

• Haha 1

We recently returned from the Viking Mars and were surprised to find a door to the veranda as opposed to a sliding door, which we had in the past, and expected this time!  After speaking with Guest Relations, and stating this is not what we had on our previous ocean cruise I realized that this time we were in a PV3 and the previous cruise in a PV2.  We were told "all" PV3 cabins had a single door and all others had a sliding door.  As we walked the ship we noted mostly sliders but did notice the door in the PV3 locations.  Now we know for our next Viking Ocean trip!  

58 minutes ago, Michael219 said:

We recently returned from the Viking Mars and were surprised to find a door to the veranda as opposed to a sliding door, which we had in the past, and expected this time!  After speaking with Guest Relations, and stating this is not what we had on our previous ocean cruise I realized that this time we were in a PV3 and the previous cruise in a PV2.  We were told "all" PV3 cabins had a single door and all others had a sliding door.  As we walked the ship we noted mostly sliders but did notice the door in the PV3 locations.  Now we know for our next Viking Ocean trip!  

I wouldn’t take that information to the bank about “all PV3” cabins having doors unless I compared it to the pdf & the PV2 & PV3 location maps on the ship. 

We prefer the slider because it’s just easier to open & close (esp. in North Atlantic gales), doesn’t take up veranda space, & found you can’t see out the window/door combo that well anyway. YMMV.

• Like 1

I think we are the only ones who prefer the door/window combo in a PV.  The first one we had was a PV2 so disregard that Viking staffer comment that only PV3's have them.  We do tend to spend time in our cabin.  My DH downloads photos at the desk and I sit with my legs up on the sofa journaling.  We can both have great views to outside.  We put the chair in the narrow wall space between the door and window.  We also capture the drapes with ties and affix each tie to a wall magnet which we bring.  That places the drapes behind the chair giving a better view through window or door. I know some folks like to leave their slider open but we don't.  Keeping the door open is harder.  We do use our veranda but have yet been on a cruise where the weather was conducive for long seatings out there.  It was either frigging freezing or dripping humidity salt encrusted rails, table and chairs.  One thing with the door is it closes slowly then at the end slams.  So we needed to be considerate and not allow door to slam.

40 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I think we are the only ones who prefer the door/window combo in a PV.  The first one we had was a PV2 so disregard that Viking staffer comment that only PV3's have them.  We do tend to spend time in our cabin.  My DH downloads photos at the desk and I sit with my legs up on the sofa journaling.  We can both have great views to outside.  We put the chair in the narrow wall space between the door and window.  We also capture the drapes with ties and affix each tie to a wall magnet which we bring.  That places the drapes behind the chair giving a better view through window or door. I know some folks like to leave their slider open but we don't.  Keeping the door open is harder.  We do use our veranda but have yet been on a cruise where the weather was conducive for long seatings out there.  It was either frigging freezing or dripping humidity salt encrusted rails, table and chairs.  One thing with the door is it closes slowly then at the end slams.  So we needed to be considerate and not allow door to slam.

Interesting as they (manager) were adamant that "all and only" PV3's had the door/window as opposed to the sliding door.  I stand corrected and will need to keep this in mind.  🙂

9 minutes ago, Michael219 said:

Interesting as they (manager) were adamant that "all and only" PV3's had the door/window as opposed to the sliding door.  I stand corrected and will need to keep this in mind.  🙂

We were in a PV1 on the Neptune on our world cruise (5084) and had a door and window.  For us, it really didn’t matter.  What DID matter is that our door and our neighbors squeaked when opening.  They had room service breakfast every morning at 6 am and the door would squeak a dozen times while they set themselves up outside to eat there.  It took about 3 tries to get someone in to desqueak the door.  

• Like 1

Just returned from a cruise on Viking Mars in a PV1 and had the door/big window.  We had the slider a few years ago in a PV3 and I think the slider might have been a bit easier to manage.  I wish I’d thought of the tie-back idea.  Guess we’ll just have to book another cruise so we can use TayanaLorna’s idea.  We kept trying to keep the curtains back with the little side table and felt magazine holder.  

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We also capture the drapes with ties

Yep, we do this too.  I’m actually keep the ties in our luggage so they are always ready to go.  On the WC, we didn’t know to do this, and so bought two bungee cords.  Not elegant, but got the job done!

• Like 1

We had the “slider” on our last cruise, in a PV.  We spend a lot of time on the lanai.  We couldn’t keep the slider closed as it  just rolled back and forth.  Obviously, from the outside, you can’t lock the door.  The crew didn’t have a stick for us, so we had to move the outside table against the window, to block the sliding.  BUT…..every time one of us went inside, hubby had to move the table and then move it back. 

Our next four cruises we’ve booked the door.  I understand both sides.  

We’ve had both slider and door/window. We liked both for different reasons. 

The slider was easier to open. It’s nice having one big expanse of glass. Biggest con: you can’t really enjoy the view from the couch. That bothered me.

The door/window combo was much better for sitting on the couch and looking outside. That turned out to be a Godsend when I sprained my knee and had to spend a lot of time stuck on the sofa.

11 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yep, we do this too.  I’m actually keep the ties in our luggage so they are always ready to go.  On the WC, we didn’t know to do this, and so bought two bungee cords.  Not elegant, but got the job done!

The first time we thought to tie back the drapes was on a welcome back cruise when we had to wear contact tracing devices.  They were on a lanyard.  My DH said why don't we try one of these lanyards with our magnets.  We did, it worked so we just asked Guest Services for more lanyards.  We too keep a bag with stuff we bring for a cruise and don't use otherwise.

• Like 1

I think my only gripe about having the door and window combo was at the end of the WC we were in the Arctic where we had 24 hours of light.  Having light peek through the cracks in 2 sets of drapes was just a little annoying at 1 am in the morning.  Your brain sees ‘light, no more sleep!’ And your body says ‘nope, only been asleep 2 hours, that’s not gonna do it’.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I think my only gripe about having the door and window combo was at the end of the WC we were in the Arctic where we had 24 hours of light.  Having light peek through the cracks in 2 sets of drapes was just a little annoying at 1 am in the morning.  Your brain sees ‘light, no more sleep!’ And your body says ‘nope, only been asleep 2 hours, that’s not gonna do it’.  

In a pinch to keep drapes tightly sealed so cracks of light don’t peek through, we use pant hangers that have the two clips on them. Overlap the two sides of the drapes together and clip them. The hangers are usually readily available in the closets. We also do this in hotel rooms. Works great. 

• Like 1