Changes to length of Holds

Pylon

I understand that Princess is changing its approach to placing a hold on a cruise before the cruiser decides to book.  The change seems to be effective today (or shortly) and I was told cruisers will have only 1 day for a hold.  Besides a shorter hold period, this could adversely affect holds placed on a Friday night or Saturday while a TA or planner is unavailable.  

It seems such a change in policy could result in some cruisers booking the price reduction (if the saving is significant) on line and later cancelling the original booking.  But I note it also appears to be getting more  difficult to actually book a preferred room online, rather than a guaranteed category.   Perhaps the change is part of a broader strategy being put in place to raise revenues including by reducing post booking changes when a reduction occurs?  

Do others with more experience with placing a hold on a reduction have a view of the implications?  

By the way, in case you missed it, the Princess Vacation Protection for Standard has increased to 9% from 8%.  

Edited by Pylon

51 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Where did you hear/read this, please>  Even if changed to 24hrs, they would make an allowance for weekend or TA off work.

Was this for a last minute kind of deal?  They can have shorter than normal hold periods.

Agree with Steelers - maybe for last minute bookings, but I'm still seeing 3 days +/- (depending on time of day when booked) for deposit requirements on bookings before final payment in the Princess booking system.  If within final payment, it's usually due within 24 or to midnight (PST/PDT) the following day.  

OP's TA might be imposing such restrictions - which makes sense since it takes time to put booking info in, or to make a phone call for a booking, then a followup call for deposit payment.

• Like 1

Just now, mrsihopes said:

I was just going to ask about the hold, wanted to put one on hold today and saw no option to do that, only make deposit.    Wondering what is going on.   

that's exactly what happened before when I was looking at one for June 2024.  I got all the way to the end of booking and my choices are either Pay the Depsosit now and the rest is due by March 10, 2024 or Pay in Full.  I don't have any way to place a hold so something must be going on.

• Like 1

Certain low category (IE, OZ) fares are non-refundable deposits and may not have hold ability.

Up until a few years ago, the website never allow a hold - you had to put money down when booking.  They softened it a while back, but now seems to be going back to disallowing holds when booking online.  TA's still can.

Edited by cruisingrob21

6 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Certain low category (IE, OZ) fares are non-refundable deposits and may not have hold ability.

Up until a few years ago, the website never allow a hold - you had to put money down when booking.  They softened it a while back, but now seems to be going back to disallowing holds when booking online.  TA's still can.

I tested with a Ref Deposit.  Hold option gone online, but surely a TA or phone rep can do it.

Guest Snaxmuppet

Not sure the UK has the option to hold. We pay the deposit or pay in full when first booked. If we want to book via TA then we have to make the booking initially via the TA.

At least that is how I believe it is here.

Just now more customer friendly policy that Princess has done away with to make it more difficult to deal with them as a company.   Last thing I want to have happen is to deal with their Philippine call center and try and get a canceled booking deposit back.  The Love boat is losing its' love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I tested with a Ref Deposit.  Hold option gone online, but surely a TA or phone rep can do it.

Yep. I tried it also.  No hold option, without a deposit. Guess we can’t book and hold till our TA/CVP can pick it up now.  

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Where did you hear/read this, please>  Even if changed to 24hrs, they would make an allowance for weekend or TA off work.

Was this for a last minute kind of deal?  They can have shorter than normal hold periods.

Yesterday (Monday) I was in the process of upgrading with my cruise planner (an upgrade I placed a hold on Friday evening) - went from a BE to a DE for $140 total on a 10 day - when the planner mentioned a change in policy had occurred that day (Monday).

The details of the change remained unclear as the planner had just learned there was a change but one outcome appeared to be Friday night holds followed by a Monday confirmation would no longer be allowed.  

Edited by Pylon
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pylon said:

Yesterday (Monday) I was in the process of upgrading with my cruise planner (an upgrade I placed a hold on Friday evening) - went from a BE to a DE for $140 total on a 10 day - when the planner mentioned a change in policy had occurred that day (Monday).

The details of the change remained unclear as the planner had just learned there was a change but one outcome appeared to be Friday night holds followed by a Monday confirmation would no longer be allowed.  

Wow.  That is getting really restrictive. 

1 hour ago, Pylon said:

🤔 What about a Sat or Sun night hold?  

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It sounds very much like they are trying to imitate Delta in how badly they can irritate their customer base!

I don't know of other companies trying to make a profit, which allow holds without a deposit. 

It's a really poor decision, especially on days of releases, and extends release day into release week, when everyone is waiting for holds without deposits to fall off.

16 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

TA’s can still book options, at least on some cruises. We just today had a hold placed on a cruise booking that won’t expire until October 8 (5 days). 

Thank you for that update.

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

I don't know of other companies trying to make a profit, which allow holds without a deposit. 

It's a really poor decision, especially on days of releases, and extends release day into release week, when everyone is waiting for holds without deposits to fall off.

American Airlines does 24 hours which I appreciate. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

This doesn't affect people with FCD, as we always book with them. Not sure what the issue with the hold without deposit is?  Seems like they've closed a loophole on reserving cabins without a deposit.

It would also affect people with FCDs. If you cannot hold without a deposit, then you have to apply your FCD. Two problems with this:

• If you cancel the cruise, you have to wait for the FCD to be returned before you can use it again.
  • If you use a Princess Vacation Planner (PVP), you have to either book or deposit the cruise with the PVP. If you book and deposit the cruise online, then the PVP does not receive credit for the booking and can't help you with it. My PVP told me to book online with a hold and then call her to deposit.

On 10/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, Pylon said:

The change seems to be effective today (or shortly) and I was told cruisers will have only 1 day for a hold.

I just put a hold on a cabin literally before visiting this thread. Today is Oct. 3. I have until Oct 6 to make my Deposit. At least in the US it seems the holds are still normal. Virgin Voyages has a 24 hour hold but so far Princess is still the normal 3 days at least. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

I just put a hold on a cabin literally before visiting this thread. Today is Oct. 3. I have until Oct 6 to make my Deposit. At least in the US it seems the holds are still normal. Virgin Voyages has a 24 hour hold but so far Princess is still the normal 3 days at least. 

I agree, the normal hold is 3 days, but TAs can sometimes extend for a couple more days. That’s what happened with our booking. 

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

It would also affect people with FCDs. If you cannot hold without a deposit, then you have to apply your FCD. Two problems with this:

• If you cancel the cruise, you have to wait for the FCD to be returned before you can use it again.
  • If you use a Princess Vacation Planner (PVP), you have to either book or deposit the cruise with the PVP. If you book and deposit the cruise online, then the PVP does not receive credit for the booking and can't help you with it. My PVP told me to book online with a hold and then call her to deposit.

If you cancel a cruise, the FCD is ready for use in about five minutes. We've used Live chat for this. 

We have no loyalty to any Princess vacation planner.  Why would you need to book a hold online, then follow up with a phone call? What would you need help with? 

• Like 1