Morning air arrival to FLL for sailing at 3pm from Fort Lauderdale port

trin880

We will be departing at 3 pm Monday Jan 29th from Fort Lauderdale. Flying from ATL to FLL. I am debating whether it is safe to take a flight early same morning. And how early or what would be considered late or too risky? There are several airlines with direct flights in the morning. Some fairs look very attractive. We are going to have a carry-on luggage only. Appreciate a feedback of experienced sailors. Thank you.

Edited by trin880

30 minutes ago, trin880 said:

We will be departing at 3 pm Monday Jan 29th from Fort Lauderdale. Flying from ATL to FLL. I am debating whether it is safe to take a flight early same morning. And how early or what would be considered late or too risky? There are several airlines with direct flights in the morning. Some fairs look very attractive. We are going to have a carry-on luggage only. Appreciate a feedback of experienced sailors. Thank you.

We never chance it.  Enroute weather anywhere could affect your flight or crew.

I would go the day before and spend the night in Ft Lauderdale.

It’s not worth the stress or missing your cruise.  Best of luck to you, whatever you choose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have flown from Orlando to Miami and to New Orleans the same day as cruise. Had no choice, we do arrive at least a day prior to the cruise. If you must fly same day book a non stop to arrive as early as you can. There’s very little room for delays. Rather be in the cruise city early eating breakfast, than stuck on an airplane. It is very nervous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skrufy said:

We have flown from Orlando to Miami and to New Orleans the same day as cruise. Had no choice, we do arrive at least a day prior to the cruise. If you must fly same day book a non stop to arrive as early as you can. There’s very little room for delays. Rather be in the cruise city early eating breakfast, than stuck on an airplane. It is very nervous 

I agree and want to add one point:  if you must fly the same day book the first non-stop of the day.  Hopefully it will have been sitting at the gate overnight.  If that flight does cancel or has a significant delay, you have time to catch another flight (assuming seats are available).

• Thanks 1

As I just reported in another topic - two weeks ago we were delayed 3 hours going the 200 miles from OKC to Dallas.  And this was in mid-Sept with nice weather.  We could have driven it in less time!

Things happen thoughout the system, especially in January, so I would not chance it.  Look at the costs involved if you miss your sailaway vs staying one night in FLL.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your valuable input! The cost of arriving an evening before and staying overnight is mostly negligible if compared to a piece of mind and probably few more hundred dollars. It is what it is.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 6:59 PM, trin880 said:

And how early or what would be considered late or too risky? There are several airlines with direct flights in the morning. Some fairs look very attractive

after the pandemic we started flying in the day before.... Just saying.

• Thanks 1

Your issue is to have a plan if the plane doesn't go or is delayed.

You need to be on board well before sail-away. It's about 15 minutes airport terminal (FLL) to cruise terminal (any terminal in Port Everglades).

if you've checked bags for the plane, getting them back quickly because you need to change plans may be an issue.

You could purchase flights on two airlines for the day, one  fully cancelable (as the backup). If airline A is delayed, B may not be.

If choosing a single airline, I'd want a cushion of a second flight between cities and enough status that I'd get priority on a change.

• Thanks 1

As a fairly seasoned cruiser, I have a sorta kinda rule about not traveling to the port on cruise day.  First of all, whether you're flying or driving, too many things can pop up unexpectedly that could end up preventing you from boarding on time.  I live about 90 miles from Tampa and have cruised from there many times.  But even so, I always drive up the night before and RON at a hotel.  Same for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale - that's a bit farther, about 2 1/2 hours to drive over, but I use the same reasoning if I'm cruising out of either of those ports. So...consider this scenario and philosophy....as an example when I cruise out of Tampa, I usually stay at the Holiday Express at Rocky Point, a few miles west of TPA airport. There is a Bahama Breeze restaurant literally next door, easy walking distance.  So, when I do this I mentally consider that I'm already on the cruise a day early.  Guaranteed a few Margaritas will help ease you into the cruise mode.😁😎 I am fortunate to live in Florida. I can drive to five different ports.  These days I don't fly anywhere that I don't have to, but if I did, I would never ever consider flying in on the same day of a cruise...too many things could end up delaying the flight....anyway, for what it's worth, there's my 2 cents...

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 6:59 PM, trin880 said:

My Feb flight was delayed due to complete Delta errors...too much fuel (who knew), one crew timed out, waiting for another flight attendant, paperwork, flight crew timed out, new pilots flown in, plane refueled (they didn't turn it off during the 8 hrs), dash light on, paperwork, paperwork...a plane full of cruisers finally arrived 9 hours late.  We were all sailing on the next day but as we looked for alternatives should the flight be cancelled, there weren't any.  

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

My Feb flight was delayed due to complete Delta errors...too much fuel (who knew), one crew timed out, waiting for another flight attendant, paperwork, flight crew timed out, new pilots flown in, plane refueled (they didn't turn it off during the 8 hrs), dash light on, paperwork, paperwork...a plane full of cruisers finally arrived 9 hours late.  We were all sailing on the next day but as we looked for alternatives should the flight be cancelled, there weren't any.  

Thank you for sharing...how awful and stressful...glad you all made it on time. I made the decision and will be booking a flight day before and staying overnight in FL.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trin880 said:

Thank you for sharing...how awful and stressful...glad you all made it on time. I made the decision and will be booking a flight day before and staying overnight in FL.

Crazy part was I planned to fly down on Thursday but one of my flights was cancelled due to expected weather (that didn't arrive) but I figured still had a day's cushion.  Best laid plans and all...There was a bunch of giddy and exhausted cruisers at the luggage carousal on arrival at Fort Lauderdale.