Dress code

undecided1

I am sure there is a post somewhere but I cannot find it. My husband and I typically cruise NCL or Disney but want to try Celebrity now that we are traveling without our children who are adults. Normally he wears a polo, dockers and dress shoes every night for dinner. This is acceptable for all nights on NCL and Disney. I looked at the Celebrity dress code and it references designer jeans for smart casual and smart chic. To my way of thinking dockers are dressier but I wanted to get confirmation as this will be the deciding factor on whether to try Celebrity. 

TIA

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, undecided1 said:

To my way of thinking dockers are dressier but I wanted to get confirmation as this will be the deciding factor on whether to try Celebrity. 

TIA

So if your husband can wear jeans to the dining room you will try Celebrity but if he has to "dress up" and wear Dockers you won't?? 

Just finished a cruise on NCL's flagship Viva and it's pretty amazing what guys wear to dinner. Only the French specialty restaurant has a dress code so guys literally wear flipflops, ratty T-shirts, and board shorts to dinner. Also floppy hats and cross body bags. Many of the guys looked like they just came off the beach. It's been 6 years since my last NCL cruise so it was eye opening when NCL guests are even more casual than Carnival cruisers. And since there's no dress up days that's how guys dress the whole cruise.

Oh and both men and women put their bare feet up on the atrium coffee tables, chairs and couches. 😬

Edited by kwokpot

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

Just finished a cruise on NCL's flagship Viva and it's pretty amazing what guys wear to dinner. Only the French specialty restaurant has a dress code so guys literally wear flipflops, ratty T-shirts, and board shorts to dinner. Also floppy hats and cross body bags. Many of the guys looked like they just came off the beach. It's been 6 years since my last NCL cruise so it was eye opening when NCL guests are even more casual than Carnival cruisers. And since there's no dress up days that's how guys dress the whole cruise.

Oh and both men abd women put their bare feet up on the atrium coffee tables, chairs and couches. 😬

Our last Carnival cruise we found that on formal/evening chic nights that many passengers on Carnival dressed better than those on Celebrity.  On other nights it was pretty dismal, backyard picnic attire.

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Our last Carnival cruise we found that on formal/evening chic nights that many passengers on Carnival dressed better than those on Celebrity.  On other nights it was pretty dismal, backyard picnic attire.

Yes, since Celebrity went with a Chic Night I also notice more Carnival guests dressing up on Elegant Night. 

But I see why NCL guests trying Celebrity for the first time have wardrobe questions. It was a bit strange when I was in the Viva's beautiful steakhouse (the design motif was a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired mid century modern faux concrete architecture) and seeing guys wearing beach attire for an expensive steakhouse dinner ( a la carte pricing)

PXL_20231210_191626544.MP~2.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

So if your husband can wear jeans to the dining room you will try Celebrity but if he has to "dress up" and wear Dockers you won't?? 

Please re-read the statement you quoted. It says he typically wears dockers. My question was asking if dockers were acceptable for all nights on the cruise. He does not want to pack or wear a suit. 

1 minute ago, undecided1 said:

Please re-read the statement you quoted. It says he typically wears dockers. My question was asking if dockers were acceptable for all nights on the cruise. He does not want to pack or wear a suit. 

Unless he wants to wear a suit, no need to pack it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SharonK said:

Are men allowed to wear flip flops in the main dining room at dinner?

We just got our cruise documents for our cruise in 3 weeks. Here is the direct Quote from the documents about what is smart casual.  BTW it mentions flip flops are not allowed.

image.png.362b92490517b09404b1379dc563dd72.png

Here is the quote about Evening chic:

image.png.5da1911e7a3c0255820d656fa2e63741.png

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, undecided1 said:

Maybe my post #17 will help clarify your questions. But Dockers and a collard shirt will meet the minimum dress requirements for any night. I wear a dockers style long pants and a golf or button up shirt.  I haven't worn or packed a suit for at least 10 years on any cruise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Oh and both men and women put their bare feet up on the atrium coffee tables, chairs and couches. 😬

Wear whatever you like, I like to dress up but to each their own. However, filthy feet up on furniture? Disgusting, whatever clothes you're wearing.

Edited by maggielou362
add
  • Like 2