The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 8th, 2023

richwmn

5 hours ago, dfish said:

I think in my case, it is get used to it.  My problems all stem from my back.  I only have two discs that are not damaged or destroyed.  That goes from the neck down to the tailbone.  I have arthritis and scoliosis.  The stenosis is a problem when walking, but nerve ablation and using walking poles helps with that.  There is no surgery for my back as the damage is too extensive.  Pain medications are so so with it.  Even though it hurts, the best thing for me is to keep moving, so I do.  I don't do the 10 mile hikes anymore, but I can go around the block.  As much as my body doesn't want to do the hiking, my mind does!  That is the difficult part.  

Debbie, you sound just like me. I had 3 issues. One was thigh pain, but that started after PT did some aggressive passive stretching and I think they pulled a muscle. That is now gone. The right thigh issue and some tingling of the leg I think comes from the spine. I have one bulging disc, other discs that have some damage, and mild spinal stenosis. I also have some sacroiliitis on the right and some lower back muscle spasms. Then there's both knees that are very painful.

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

The epidural steroid shots I got last Monday relieved my pain for about a day....I'm really disappointed.  Going to start PT tomorrow & have a follow-up with the pain Dr's PA next Monday.  The worst part of my issue is the spasms...I walk our dog .7 mile every day & walking doesn't seem to aggravate it but it's the getting up/down/in & out of the car that kills me.

I'm sorry to hear the epidural steroid shots didn't do a lot. I don't see the pain doctors until mid-November, and I was hoping if they suggest those shots that they would work wonders. 

41 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

We just felt a 4.5 earthquake about 15 minutes ago! 

Karen

Oh no, on the earthquake. I hope everyone's ok.

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

We just felt a 4.5 earthquake about 15 minutes ago! 

Karen

I felt it here in Lake Stevens too.  I turned to DH and said "that was an earthquake"!  He looked puzzled, he hadn't felt a thing. 😄

It wasn't the largest I've felt, but it definitely was noticeable.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Debbie, you sound just like me. I had 3 issues. One was thigh pain, but that started after PT did some aggressive passive stretching and I think they pulled a muscle. That is now gone. The right thigh issue and some tingling of the leg I think comes from the spine. I have one bulging disc, other discs that have some damage, and mild spinal stenosis. I also have some sacroiliitis on the right and some lower back muscle spasms. Then there's both knees that are very painful.

A few years back I had the pain from my gall bladder that woke me up every morning at 4:00 am.  Now that the gall bladder is gone, my right hip wakes me up with pain.  That is a strange one because the hip isn't painful any other time of day.  It doesn't hurt when I walk or sit.  Just when I want to sleep.  X-rays show no problem with the hip.  Last night I ended up putting a pain patch on my lower back so I could sleep.  That helped immensely.  

10 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@dfishI feel your pain, in more ways than one. Epidural spinal injections did help but it took a bit of time. And I’ve been working on a quilt that my daughter wanted. It’s driving me nuts-not only do the colors form a diagonal “V” that meets in the middle from each corner but the bottom 1/2 has to mirror the top 1/2. And now my knee hurts from all the back and forth. Yep, getting old.

Do you find that your hands stiffen up as well?   Mine do, so I can only sew for short periods and then have to take a break.  But, my teenage brain says go for it, so I do.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I felt it here in Lake Stevens too.  I turned to DH and said "that was an earthquake"!  He looked puzzled, he hadn't felt a thing. 😄

It wasn't the largest I've felt, but it definitely was noticeable.

I felt it in Bremerton but hubby didn't - he was in the basement.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I'm 5'3" --- we've got a Subaru Crosstrek.   

That is what my sister has so I am familiar.  It is still better than a sedan, but I hear you on the difficulties getting in and out.  I have a Chevy Equinox.  I think with the weather change this week my joints are particularly painful.  I'm hoping they get used to the colder weather quickly.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dfish said:

Do you find that your hands stiffen up as well?   Mine do, so I can only sew for short periods and then have to take a break.  But, my teenage brain says go for it, so I do.  

Hands are stiff and tingly plus I woke up with an aching back the last couple of mornings, wondering what I did. Then I remembered the extra sewing I had been doing so that explained it. 

A lot of my back pain had resolved after I had the hip replaced. But now therapy for the knee. Guess I'm just glad I'm still able to do most everything I want to do. 

• Like 1