Royal Princess Medical Services

Plato123

Earlier this year my wife had an accident in our cabin that gave us concern that she may have broken her foot.

We were in port but decided to contact the ships medical centre to have a look at her foot.

They were very professional and wheeled my wife into the medical centre from our cabin and did some X rays and concluded there was no breakage, just a bad sprain.  They put a compression bandage on her foot and loaned us a brand new walking stick.  She also got some pain meds.

Ship security came to our cabin and took a statement and pictures for their liability protection I imagine, but we had no complaint about the ship and cabin contributing to the accident.

Our bill was made available and we paid it using some of our remaining OBC.

We filed an insurance claim with the company that provides my post retirement travel medical coverage and after several months but no issues, we were completely reimbursed.

First time with an experience like this while cruising.

BTW, my wife was fine after a few days but we did stay off our feet a lot after that.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Solid post - appreciate it.  And as you noted, you had to pay the medical bill thru your on-board account, then seek insurance reimbursement.  That happens even if you have purchased the 'insurance' thru Princess / Aon / carrier.

A copy of the medical records, Itemized statement of charges, and your final folio showing you paid that amount goes a long way for the insurance reimbursement.

been there, done that

• Like 3

We just got off the Royal and my husband racked up $1250 in charges due to Covid.  I submitted the claim to his Medicare Advantage and was shocked they paid 100%.  We had Princess insurance which would have paid if Medicare did not.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Hobbes67 said:

We just got off the Royal and my husband racked up $1250 in charges due to Covid.  I submitted the claim to his Medicare Advantage and was shocked they paid 100%.  We had Princess insurance which would have paid if Medicare did not.

I'm still dealing with Medicare....60 plus days later and waiting.

Were you in US waters?  I was in Canada...and hopeful that my Secondary will pick up the charges.  If not 100%, then AON will reimburse the rest.

Already received a check from AON for isolation.  Medical Center costs is minimal to isolation reimbursement.  So willing to wait this out.  Medical was paid with non-refundable OBC so win-win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm still dealing with Medicare....60 plus days later and waiting.

Were you in US waters?  I was in Canada...and hopeful that my Secondary will pick up the charges.  If not 100%, then AON will reimburse the rest.

Already received a check from AON for isolation.  Medical Center costs is minimal to isolation reimbursement.  So willing to wait this out.  Medical was paid with non-refundable OBC so win-win.

Note that Hobbes67 said “Medicare advantage”.  Those plans have different coverage for travel than just Medicare alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hobbes67 said:

I am surprised that Medicare paid -that is why I always buy travel insurance and the one with primary payment....Good for you!!

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

Note that Hobbes67 said “Medicare advantage”.  Those plans have different coverage for travel than just Medicare alone.

Yes, I did read "Medicare advantage" which I have secondary insurance (better than advantage).  I have always been under the information that if Medicare denies (which I am waiting for)...it is sent to my secondary which will also deny.  Great if my Secondary picks up 80% and AON picks up the other 20%.  (or 100% since I have no deductible/no co-pay).

Hoping AON will also reimburse $28 cost for medical records and postage (aka sheldon cooper).

I was shocked that Medicare Advantage paid, and within 2 weeks of submitting the claim.  I originally submitted so that I could get the rejection EOB to submit to AON.  I would think that Kaiser would pay as well since it is an HMO as well.  We were in Canadian waters, although they didn't ask when I submitted the claim.  We only had one day of isolation so I didn't request anything for isolation.  Do you think I should have?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, I did read "Medicare advantage" which I have secondary insurance (better than advantage).  I have always been under the information that if Medicare denies (which I am waiting for)...it is sent to my secondary which will also deny.  Great if my Secondary picks up 80% and AON picks up the other 20%.  (or 100% since I have no deductible/no co-pay).

Hoping AON will also reimburse $28 cost for medical records and postage (aka sheldon cooper).

they didn't for us - aka me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm getting confused by all of the "aka Sheldon Cooper" references. I'm familiar with the show, but a lot of the references don't track for me...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sheldon Cooper had a very difficult time with sarcasm and all things that could not be literally correct.  

Such as "hoping AON also reimburses $28 cost..."  NOT going to happen.  Waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

22 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I'm getting confused by all of the "aka Sheldon Cooper" references. I'm familiar with the show, but a lot of the references don't track for me...?

19 hours ago, eclue said:

I am surprised that Medicare paid -that is why I always buy travel insurance and the one with primary payment....Good for you!!

Probably considered like an emergency room visit.  

19 hours ago, t&atravel said:

With our Kaiser advantage plan we don’t have to do anything directly with medicare.  Kaiser is the only point of contact.  Great that you have other coverage though.

Same with our Advantage plan (not Kaiser).  

20 hours ago, t&atravel said:

With our Kaiser advantage plan we don’t have to do anything directly with medicare.  Kaiser is the only point of contact.  Great that you have other coverage though.

Same here. PNW Kaiser Medicare Advantage plan

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Sheldon Cooper had a very difficult time with sarcasm and all things that could not be literally correct.  

Such as "hoping AON also reimburses $28 cost..."  NOT going to happen.  Waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

Ohhh, the way you phrased it was a bit confusing.

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I had a claim a couple of years ago.  I did not have Aon but another travel insurer.  They reimbursed me the $28.

• Like 2