SBC in lieu of OCAPP gratuities denied

Cruzin Terri

Just booked a cruise and since I am entitled to pp gratuities due to Oceania Club level, my TA asked for OCAPP gratuities to be applied as SBC.  This is the first time that she was told that it cannot be done.  Has this happened to anyone else? 

She is a member of the Signature Travel Network, and this has never been a problem before.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Terri

• Thanks 1

If this change in policy has been reported here, I have been unable to find it.  I have been searching for quite a while and went back a few months.  

Maybe someone can weigh in on when this change took place with some documentaiton.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just booked a cruise and since I am entitled to pp gratuities due to Oceania Club level, my TA asked for OCAPP gratuities to be applied as SBC.  This is the first time that she was told that it cannot be done.  Has this happened to anyone else? 

She is a member of the Signature Travel Network, and this has never been a problem before.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Terri

Here’s the absolutely correct info on the current relationship of OCAPP to O Club gratuities coverage:

MANY (did I say MANY?😎) years ago, if your TA’s OCAPP funds would pay for your gratuities (normally, that’s all that OCAPP funds are allowed to be used for), O Club would give you that same gratuities amount as SBC “in lieu” of the O Club paying them. 

However, that changed at least 5 years ago to O Club limiting the “in lieu” SBC to $250 per cabin if OCAPP was paying for the grats. And If you say “I don’t want the OCAPP gratuities coverage. Let O Club pay for them,” there’s no guarantee that a TA will give you extra SBC from their own resources (but it never hurts to ask).

In the last year plus, I’ve run into a couple of OCAPP glitches on multi-segment cruises where the OCAPP is only available on one segment. That can create some slight accounting “trouble.”

Theoretically, you should get O Club gratuities on the non-OCAPP segment plus $250 O Club “in lieu” SBC on the OCAPP “grats paid” segment.

The good news is that, once you are onboard, your account should show this correctly. The bad news is that, once OCAPP ends up on your invoice for one segment, an O software glitch limits the other segment to that $250 “in lieu” SBC. it’s a known issue and it is supposed to get corrected when the accounting moved to the ship. But, just in case, I always ask for either a verifying notation on my account or a copy of an O email to my TA saying something to the effect “They’re Platinum and alway get all gratuities covered.”

Of course, there’s always the possibility that someone not familiar with the policy (and/or the glitch) as regards multi-segment cruises might tell you “as long as the gratuities are all covered, you get no ‘in lieu’ SBC” (even though you have the O Club status for free gratuities). That is incorrect! (So you or your TA should make sure it’s in the deal).

But, back to your original question (sort of):

If OCAPP is in the mix, the best “in lieu” SBC you’ll get from O Club for the OCAPP segment is $250 for the cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Here’s the absolutely correct info on the current relationship of OCAPP to O Club gratuities coverage:

MANY (did I say MANY?😎) years ago, if your TA’s OCAPP funds would pay for your gratuities (normally, that’s all that OCAPP funds are allowed to be used for), O Club would give you that same gratuities amount as SBC “in lieu” of the O Club paying them. 

However, that changed at least 5 years ago to O Club limiting the “in lieu” SBC to $250 per cabin if OCAPP was paying for the grats. And If you say “I don’t want the OCAPP gratuities coverage. Let O Club pay for them,” there’s no guarantee that a TA will give you extra SBC from their own resources (but it never hurts to ask).

In the last year plus, I’ve run into a couple of OCAPP glitches on multi-segment cruises where the OCAPP is only available on one segment. That can create some slight accounting “trouble.”

Theoretically, you should get O Club gratuities on the non-OCAPP segment plus $250 O Club “in lieu” SBC on the OCAPP “grats paid” segment.

The good news is that, once you are onboard, your account should show this correctly. The bad news is that, once OCAPP ends up on your invoice for one segment, an O software glitch limits the other segment to that $250 “in lieu” SBC. it’s a known issue and it is supposed to get corrected when the accounting moved to the ship. But, just in case, I always ask for either a verifying notation on my account or a copy of an O email to my TA saying something to the effect “They’re Platinum and alway get all gratuities covered.”

Of course, there’s always the possibility that someone not familiar with the policy (and/or the glitch) as regards multi-segment cruises might tell you “as long as the gratuities are all covered, you get no ‘in lieu’ SBC” (even though you have the O Club status for free gratuities). That is incorrect! (So you or your TA should make sure it’s in the deal).

But, back to your original question (sort of):

If OCAPP is in the mix, the best “in lieu” SBC you’ll get from O Club for the OCAPP segment is $250 for the cabin. 

So it is still available and my TA was given incorrect information if I am reading you correctly. She has not had this problem previously. LHT28 said that the policy had changed and no more "double dipping" to quote her.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So it is still available and my TA was given incorrect information if I am reading you correctly.  LHY28 said that the policy had changed and no more "double dipping" to quote her.

Terri

This past August/September (2023), I did a “custom” two-segment cruise (SEA-YVR & YVR-LAX) with a single booking number (not marketed as a single “extended voyage”).

I received O Club gratuities for Segment 1 and OCAPP gratuities for Segment 2. Then, I also received $250/cabin O Club SBC “in lieu” of O Club gratuities for Segment 2.

I didn’t dream this AND it was less than one month ago. 

I’ve got another multi-segment coming up starting February 2024. It too has the same mix of O Club and OCAPP gratuities coverages and the O invoice software glitch that I expect will have the same exact correction as described above.

FWIW: I attribute many of the conflicting things we hear about O policies/practices to the “luck of the draw” as to who in Miami answers the phone when you or your TA call for clarification. And then there’s the issue of not all TAs having the same O knowledge and accepting what they’re told (if they even called O to discuss it 😳).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This past August/September (2023), I did a “custom” two-segment cruise (SEA-YVR & YVR-LAX) with a single booking number (not marketed as a single “extended voyage”).

I received O Club gratuities for Segment 1 and OCAPP gratuities for Segment 2. Then, I also received $250/cabin O Club SBC “in lieu” of O Club gratuities for Segment 2.

I’ve got another multi-segment coming up starting February 2024. It too has the same mix of O Club and OCAPP gratuities coverages and the O invoice software glitch that I expect will have the same exact correction as described above.

FWIW: I attribute many of the conflicting things we hear about O policies/practices to the “luck of the draw” as to who in Miami answers the phone when you or your TA call for clarification. And then there’s the issue of not all TAs having the same O knowledge and accepting what they’re told (if they even called O to discuss it 😳).  

Thanks for your help.

Terri

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So it is still available and my TA was given incorrect information if I am reading you correctly. She has not had this problem previously. LHT28 said that the policy had changed and no more "double dipping" to quote her.

Terri

One other possibility that I ran into when we grabbed a really spiffy sale offering: Down in the fine print was a "Not combinable with OCAPP" tag.  Others on the cruise (and paying <mumble> more) got OCAPP and we did not.  Poor us ...not! 😉

Seems calculating Oceania fares and perks requires an advanced degree in accounting and a sharp pencil.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

One other possibility that I ran into when we grabbed a really spiffy sale offering: Down in the fine print was a "Not combinable with OCAPP" tag.  Others on the cruise (and paying <mumble> more) got OCAPP and we did not.  Poor us ...not! 😉

Seems calculating Oceania fares and perks requires an advanced degree in accounting and a sharp pencil.

No sale price for us.  Full price.  There is nothing to combine it with.

Thanks.

Terri

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head!

Last month (Sept 2023) we sailed on a two-segment Nautica cruise (Malta to Venice, Venice to Istanbul), single booking number and (of course) single invoice. At booking we were told that this was called a "combo cruise".  The O Club and OCAPP gratuities were the same as yours and our invoice reflected that we should receive the $250/cabin in lieu of O Club grats for the second segment.  However, our account on the ship showed that $250 had been posted then removed.  We tried to work with Reception and were told "the system" had removed the OCAPP.

Since our invoice showed we were to get the $250 we argued our case.  After a few days, we were told that Miami does not do that anymore. In fairness, our booking was from early 2020 on one of the last sailings Marina made prior to shutdown for Covid.  

So, your comment (“luck of the draw” as to who in Miami answers the phone when you or your TA call for clarification) hit home for us.  I am glad the right person answered the phone for you---karma for all of the valuable information you share with others on this board.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

They just gave it to us last month for a 2025 sailing on Allura. Our TA said her company has a group so there are exceptions.

With Groups, TAs automatically get Pre-Paid Gratuities as a perk and now a free upgrade to Prestige Select is also available. That's new for this year apparently, those are the amenities we just go on the  Riviera Alaska Group Cruise we booked for 2025. 

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

TAs have a direct line of contact with the business offices. Generally for clarification our TA calls their direct contact, not the Miami call center. Good TAs should have that direct contact with the cruise lines because that's generally where you're going to get the best information. 🙂

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

TAs have a direct line of contact with the business offices. Generally for clarification our TA calls their direct contact, not the Miami call center. Good TAs should have that direct contact with the cruise lines because that's generally where you're going to get the best information. 🙂

While you are correct that the first line of O contact for most TAs is a dedicated staffer in Miami, that person is usually still in the reservations area - but s/he is a more long serving/knowledgeable rep than you get at the general phone number. 

And the TA contact will still need to connect with a supervisor for certain requests related to differing opinions about policy inclusions/exclusions and, in particular, exemptions issued on a case-by-case basis.

Alas, even the TA route can get conflicting info from Miami.

IMO, the best course of action, is to use only TAs who are, at least, members of O’s Connoisseurs Club and/or, better still, an O Preferred Partner Travel Agency.

NOTE: if your TA is in the top tier of membership, the O Connoisseurs Club logo on their web page will have “ELITE” added to that logo). These are the folks with the best chance of getting the decisions on policy exceptions you are seeking.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
fat fingers 😉
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While you are correct that the first line of O contact for most TAs is a dedicated staffer in Miami, that person is usually still in the reservations area - but s/he is a more long serving/knowledgeable rep than you get at the general phone number. 

And the TA contact will still need to connect with a supervisor for certain requests related to differing opinions about policy inclusions/exclusions and, in particular, exemptions issued on a case-by-case basis.

IMO, the best course of action, is to use only TAs who are, at least, members of O’s Connoisseurs Club and/or, better still, an O Preferred Partner Travel Agency.

NOTE: if your TA is in the top tier of membership, the O Connoisseurs Club logo on their web page will have “ELITE” added to that logo). These are the folks with the best chance of getting the decisions on policy exceptions you are seeking.

FF, My TA did not just fall off the turnip truck.  She has been around for quite a while.  While she no longer is connected with an agency that is part of the Connoisseurs Club, she knows her way around.  i guess it was just the luck of the draw.  She is going to call back and hopefully speak to someone else.  However, after reading @willidc's experience, I don't hold out much hope.  It may get put on the invoice only to be rejected once on board. We will see what happens. Just as an aside, the $250 was applied to our account for our Baltic Cruise in June/July.  There was no question about it. So, if there was a change, i am still trying to find out when it happened.

Terri

• Thanks 1

@Flatbush Flyer: Per your last two paragraphs…where, pray tell, does one find a list or resource of such recognized experts?

I know from our talk that we use the same agency,  so I am assuming we are good.

In March, we become silver, at that point this may become an issue.