Military Discount...BAH!!

Oakman58

So I went through the NCL website and did the ID.me so I could get the Veterans discount.  I received an email from ID.me stating my military status was verified for access to Norwegian Cruise Lines.  When I booked the cruise through my NCL PCC he said he couldn’t find it so he couldn’t apply the discount.  I’m kinda disappointed in this so called joke of a discount.

8 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

So I went through the NCL website and did the ID.me so I could get the Veterans discount.  I received an email from ID.me stating my military status was verified for access to Norwegian Cruise Lines.  When I booked the cruise through my NCL PCC he said he couldn’t find it so he couldn’t apply the discount.  I’m kinda disappointed in this so called joke of a discount.

Works fine for me, and it's a real discount. Does your account show that it's active?

image.png.0d2bf8d7f88865e9cf3084ef98c826fc.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Your PCC needs a refresher course.

Open MyNCL.  

Under your name, you should see "Military Appreciation".

And if that status is not there, call NCL (toss up on PCC or customer service) and tell them that you registered through id.me, got a confirmation, so "what's the problem"? Press for an answer and worst case scenario you register again. It's certainly worth the 10%.

Also note that upon completing the id.me process, it's supposed to bounce you back to NCL's web site showing there an acknowledgment of your new military status.

ive had this for over a year, and never had a problem. if your pcc cant find it, maybe it's human error. Try this. mock book a cruise. if ncl has your id, the cruise will say 10% applied after booking. it will show you the price with your discount.  on my most recent b2b cruise ( july and august) i received a nice pin, and booklet, a special disc. since this was a b2b, i received a 2nd one on the 2nd leg of the cruise. also ncl was nice enough to have a special cocktail party in honor of the veterans on board. again this was held on both cruises.

so, my friend if yours doesn't show up, your pcc isnt looking hard enough.

by the way, i had a pcc for years and stopped using her. if you take a little time, do a slight bit of research, there isnt a thing a pcc can do ,for you that you cant do yourself .any ncl agent can help you book

if you do a mock booking, and get all the info, including cabin number, deck, etc, print off the final sheet (showing the total costs) then call your pcc if "ALL" your information and simply have her book it for you.

by the way, im in no way mocking or trying o slight ncl cruise consultants, before i got one, i was able to do all the necessary work on my own, just called ncl to verify and make the down payment. after a few years, i noticed that even with the pcc, noting much was different, except she was able to factor in my wife's discount (this was before military). im absolutely certain your discount is there, you just need to look a little harder

so, labeling military discount "bah"! is way off.

but as my sainted grandmother used to say "some people complain even if they're hung with a new rope"! LOL

• Haha 2

It's been well documented on CC that the NCL website is iffy, at best. I suppose it's possible that your Veteran status has not been applied to your account. Unlikely...but possible.

As others have said, simply log in and your account should immediately show your status. If it's there, you need a new PCC. 

Edited by schmoopie17

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's a test you can do to verify your Military Appreciation status has been applied to your NCL account. Log onto you account and do a cruise search. Your 10% Military Discount (in green) will be present on all the resulting itineraries.

image.thumb.png.e521d92c29dbbe1133c03f5b08b48e5e.png

Here's another way to identify if your account has been updated with your Military Appreciation status. First, log onto your NCL account. In my case since we have cruises already booked, I then have to click on the Norwegian logo in the upper left-hand corner to get to the main NCL page. Then put the curser over the "My NCL" logo in the upper right-hand corner causing your basic account information to appear, which should include your Military Appreciation status.

• Thanks 1

Well it took almost all day but I finally got the discount applied.  Funny thing we found out, my system rejects any email from NCL.  This would also explain why cruise confirmations were always going to my wife's account.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Well it took almost all day but I finally got the discount applied.  Funny thing we found out, my system rejects any email from NCL.  

But this doesn't explain why your account didn't reflect your Veteran status. Or if it WAS there, why your PCC missed it. Or if it WAS there, why the fare wasn't automatically adjusted to reflect the 10% discount. It's not an email issue at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

But this doesn't explain why your account didn't reflect your Veteran status. Or if it WAS there, why your PCC missed it. Or if it WAS there, why the fare wasn't automatically adjusted to reflect the 10% discount. It's not an email issue at all.

Actually I still don't know why it didn't show up.  The fix involved me changing my password which in itself turned into quite an ordeal, even the tech help I had was surprised at how difficult this had become.  It was during this time the fact that I wasn't receiving email from NCL.  The tech tried to send me a link for a password change and her email was returned as undeliverable.  We even verified that they had the correct spelling of my email address.  Once I finally got logged back into MyNCL I was able to use ID.me to verify my status.  My thought is my status simply didn't go through the first time for some reason.

I used ID.me for the Princess cruise I took last January and it was quick and simple.  Holland America didn't even require ID.me which really surprised me.

13 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

When I booked the cruise through my NCL PCC he said he couldn’t find it so he couldn’t apply the discount.  I’m kinda disappointed in this so called joke of a discount.

Book online. It should show up in the NCL pages when you look for cruises. Plus the word Military will be listed in your account info. Or just call someone else at NCL. 

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

.  It was during this time the fact that I wasn't receiving email from NCL.  The tech tried to send me a link for a password change and her email was returned as undeliverable.  We even verified that they had the correct spelling of my email address. 

@Oakman58You might need to add the NCL address to your email providers “allowed” list, also called white listing, etc.

if so you may need to do it on a desktop browser to get full options. Depends on which mail service you use, what it’s called and how to edit that list.

4 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Actually I still don't know why it didn't show up.  The fix involved me changing my password which in itself turned into quite an ordeal, even the tech help I had was surprised at how difficult this had become.  It was during this time the fact that I wasn't receiving email from NCL.  The tech tried to send me a link for a password change and her email was returned as undeliverable.  We even verified that they had the correct spelling of my email address.  Once I finally got logged back into MyNCL I was able to use ID.me to verify my status.  My thought is my status simply didn't go through the first time for some reason.

I used ID.me for the Princess cruise I took last January and it was quick and simple.  Holland America didn't even require ID.me which really surprised me.

Is there any possibility that you had more than one account?

The instructions for sign up mentioned being logged into the correct account before you start.

I think the reps I spoke to also asked me about that (I had no problem setting it up, I spoke to reps because I was post final payment at the time and uncertain as to whether I would get the discount applied. I did, but it took some wrangling).

6 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Is there any possibility that you had more than one account?

The instructions for sign up mentioned being logged into the correct account before you start.

I think the reps I spoke to also asked me about that (I had no problem setting it up, I spoke to reps because I was post final payment at the time and uncertain as to whether I would get the discount applied. I did, but it took some wrangling).

Actually I think they mentioned two accounts and the whole password thing was about merging accounts into one.  It's quite possible I set up an account a long time ago that I had forgotten about.  Back then the Latitudes program wasn't automatic, you actually had to join.   Regardless, I got the discount so I am happy.  

8 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Actually I think they mentioned two accounts and the whole password thing was about merging accounts into one.  It's quite possible I set up an account a long time ago that I had forgotten about.  Back then the Latitudes program wasn't automatic, you actually had to join.   Regardless, I got the discount so I am happy.  

All good.

Maybe I hit that one (not that it helped).

• Like 1