Very Low Sodium Menus

drafterdw

We are on the Reflection in Nov. I am on very low sodium diet due to medical condition. Princess has a place you can notify them on line but can't find anywhere on Celebrity to notify someone. Does anyone have any experience with this. Thanks

You can either advise them prior to boarding but really not required.   Just let the Maitre'D and your Server know.    The first thing you waiter will ask is you have any allergies or food restrictions.

Also in the Ocean View Cafe you can let a server know and they can direct you or speak with the chef.

You can contact the Celebrity Cruises Access Department at 1.866. 592.7225 or special_needs@rccl.com.

Or submit a Special Needs Form

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/CEL-Special-Needs-Form-Revised-062221.pdf

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can either advise them prior to boarding but really not required.   Just let the Maitre'D and your Server know.    The first thing you waiter will ask is you have any allergies or food restrictions.

Also in the Ocean View Cafe you can let a server know and they can direct you or speak with the chef.

You can contact the Celebrity Cruises Access Department at 1.866. 592.7225 or special_needs@rccl.com.

Or submit a Special Needs Form

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/CEL-Special-Needs-Form-Revised-062221.pdf

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Definitely put in the special needs form AND let the waitstaff know at every meal so someone doesn't forget.

DW is on low sodium and it was a challenge on every cruise on every cruiseline 

I contacted special about some medical equipment needs and DHs low sodium diet.  I received a email answering my questions and advising that we should talk to the MaitreD regarding the low sodium diet. 

I also get frustrated trying to figure out what to order whether on a ship or in restaurant.  It's not that we are looking for "restricted" sodium dishes, but rather have the need to avoid the high sodium ones.  I do not understand why restaurants or ships do not publish the salt content or are willing to explain which items to avoid.  Every time I have asked the question I have been told that there are two options - request no salt or take it as is.

I have been on a low sodium diet for a long time. Celebrity is the best of the mainstream cruise lines about actually providing low or no sodium options. You can always request no salt and add as much as you would like when your food arrives if you are bothered by the no salt option. If you are truly following a low/ no sodium diet, you will need to avoid the breads and soups. They do not have a way to accommodate you. All salad dressing and sauces need to be on the side. One thing to note is some cruise lines use a salt substitute which is why I ask for no sodium and no salt substitutes. Salt substitute are harmful. Celebrity has always gone above and beyond for me. As time has gone by I have learned what to ask for - it’s fairly easy to do. 

Edited by Jeal

As far as seeing the sodium content in the food, that might never happen. It is difficult because there are many variations of the same recipe. Things change daily on cruise ships depending on the chefs and the supplies. I know which dishes are high in sodium - salad dressing, gravies, soups, breads, prepared mashed potatoes, desserts made with baking soda or baking powder and cold cuts, bacon and ham. You would eat just as you do at home. 

1 hour ago, KEN31VA said:

I'm not making myself clear.  I've spoken to many Maitre'Ds,  although I don't want them to "do anything".  What I am trying to find out is which dishes I should avoid due to their salt content.

Assume every food item in the MDR has salt added to it in some way - especially any dish that has a sauce.  You are better off ordering no sodium and adding your own salt as you want.

2 hours ago, KEN31VA said:

I'm not making myself clear.  I've spoken to many Maitre'Ds,  although I don't want them to "do anything".  What I am trying to find out is which dishes I should avoid due to their salt content.

When you are seated, ask your server which items are low sodium, or ask them to not add much to whatever you order. 

den