HAL Website Frustration

doone

For myself I always have an issue using Chrome once I click on a cruise I want or want to price out a cruise. I get a server error. I cleaned out my cookies, rebooted etc. Still no go. I was able to get around that error when using Chrome Incognito up until a few days ago. I am now getting the same server error. I started using Microsoft Edge internet browser and haven't had any issues so far. 

I really think it is a matter of luck whether the website works at a given time since it seems to be an intermittent problem.  But, the point is that we really shouldn't have to try to figure out how to make it work.  It should just work.  Amazon always works because they know a working website affects their bottom line.  HAL has not figured that out yet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You almost never have to do a brute force reset and clear your cookies and cache. In most browsers you can clear the cookies for the site you are on by clicking on the little lock at the left side of the URL line. Then you will see something along the lines of Cookies and site data. You should be able to clear the data for just that one site.

When you use this approach, you are not wiping out all your saved logins and things from all websites, just the one. I'm on my phone right now, but I will do some screen caps to walk you through the process later this afternoon.

That said, the HAL site has issues that clearing cookies won't fix. I don't find it worse on the weekend. I think it pretty much blows consistently, like a hot desert wind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

You almost never have to do a brute force reset and clear your cookies and cache. In most browsers you can clear the cookies for the site you are on by clicking on the little lock at the left side of the URL line. Then you will see something along the lines of Cookies and site data. You should be able to clear the data for just that one site.

Thanks for the good tip. I'm half-way computer aware, but didn't know this one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Thanks for the good tip. I'm half-way computer aware, but didn't know this one.

You're welcome. The suggestion to delete all your cookies and saved data messes every other site up because it dumps everything.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

My Navigator itinerary has the final day of my last cruise with nothing about my next cruise that is booked 

How far out is your next cruise? It may too early. Or you may need to log out then back in for the new itinerary to load.

7 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

POA1, when I click the little lock nothing happens.  What am I doing wrong?

Sorry. I meant to post picture but got tied up on Sunday. I'll do it after breakfast today

Apologies for the delay. Here are the steps for Chrome & Firefox.  Edge & Safari and other browsers are pretty similar.

Start by clicking the little Lock on the URL line of your browser.

Chrome-Cookie-Clear.jpg

Firefox-Cookie-Clear.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I manage a huge corporate website and the HAL website is horrible.  Just think how much money it costs them to have a website that is so frustrating.  I have to switch browsers, clear cookies, rub my head, and pat my stomach six times just to get logged in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, sojodave said:

I manage a huge corporate website and the HAL website is horrible.  Just think how much money it costs them to have a website that is so frustrating.  I have to switch browsers, clear cookies, rub my head, and pat my stomach six times just to get logged in.

Of course you have a problem! You didn't follow the instruction to pat your head and rub your stomach. It's easy to get that confused, as it's a new procedure.

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I can get into my account/booking, but I cannot see the shore excursions.  I get the spinning wheel, and then a blank page.  Very frustrating!  I always use an Incognito window, and I have tried both Chrome (my go to) and Edge.

Yep, there are times that HAL just does not make it easy to give them $$. If you know what you want, you can call the Sore Exc number and they can book for you.

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

I know that's a typo, but it made me smile.

Just shows that sometimes the Universe is smarter than we are...

Or maybe even the Universe cast a vote on the functionality of the HAL website...

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Haha 1