Gala Night Query

The Med

37 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I always take options and 18 for 14 seems a sensible ratio to me. Do the same for day dresses too. 🚢👗

Golly. I admit I take enough formal dresses to cover the number of formal evenings but the rest are covered by black evening trousers and lovely tops. I'm not a dress wearer so mix 'n match, throughout the day too. Saves on luggage space. I learnt economy of cases many decades ago through travelling widely and for lengths of time.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Golly. I admit I take enough formal dresses to cover the number of formal evenings but the rest are covered by black evening trousers and lovely tops. I'm not a dress wearer so mix 'n match, throughout the day too. Saves on luggage space. I learnt economy of cases many decades ago through travelling widely and for lengths of time.

Yes I could never fly !! I don’t wear separates so only take day and evening/ formal dresses. I don’t outfit repeat either or do laundry!!so at the end of the day pack the two dresses I have worn away so by the end of the cruise I don’t have that much to pack up. Works well for me. I have not travelled widely only on cruises out of Southampton so being restrained has never needed to be an option.  I am going on a 78 night voyage in 2025 so will have to rethink my strategy somewhat !! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes I could never fly !! I don’t wear separates so only take day and evening/ formal dresses. I don’t outfit repeat either or do laundry!!so at the end of the day pack the two dresses I have worn away so by the end of the cruise I don’t have that much to pack up. Works well for me. I have not travelled widely only on cruises out of Southampton so being restrained has never needed to be an option.  I am going on a 78 night voyage in 2025 so will have to rethink my strategy somewhat !! 

I like your packing strategy.

My evening outfits are never laundered onboard. I wouldn't trust the process and I certainly won't launder delicates in industrial machines.

Good luck on your '25 packing strategy. We have done half that length a couple of times with three cases between us but that did include long haul flights.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, david63 said:

Could you perhaps explain that concept to my wife as she has the opposite view - take as many as you can!

The Bell Captain of a rather well known hotel once told me donkey's years ago, he could often tell well travelled clients by the amount of their luggage, eg, less is often more.

It's OK taking loads of bags S'ton -S'ton if you can fit them in the car/transport and indeed, we could have taken six bags between us on our last fly/cruise, but when numerous changes are involved, it's easier to pack 'carefully' and know we wouldn't need two porters at any stage.

Packing 'carefully' becomes a way of life. However, each to their own style of packing. 🙂

Edit

Plus, I had enough problems finding where I'd put the stuff we took this year. Any more clothes etc and I'd be calling in a search team! 😀

Edited by Victoria2

20 minutes ago, NE John said:

As an American, I always love learning new British terms for things. The above and “going pear shaped” among my favorites. 
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/donkeys-years.html

You must think I'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic to use such local expressions and expect all to know what they mean! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Edit

Plus, I had enough problems finding where I'd put the stuff we took this year. Any more clothes etc and I'd be calling in a search team! 😀

Did you have the butler unpack for you? I never know how people find anything in those circs.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Did you have the butler unpack for you? I never know how people find anything in those circs.

Good Lord no. Would never  occur to me to request it and anyway, they have far more to do on embarkation days than unpack us!

The storage space was vast and after a while of QV vegging, I completely lost track of what was put where. A sign of a relaxing time so definitely not complaining. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You must think I'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic to use such local expressions and expect all to know what they mean! 😀

I tend to shorten the phrase to just "donkey's," as my English cousin did. Fortunately, my friends are good at getting meaning from context! They do tease me that I come home from a trip to the UK spouting Brit expressions. I don't stay long enough to change my pronunciations, but I do pick up inflection and expressions. Sailing home on QM2, I've often been asked if I'm Canadian. I guess that's a halfway point in speech?

16 hours ago, david63 said:

Surely you meant to say that she has picked 18 outfits so that she options - well that is what my tells me should happen😇

No, she'll take 14 outfits for evenings and wear each on the evening planned. She'll also have 12 day time/lunch outfits, which she might be slightly more flexible with. She'll probably take something slightly more casual for Lobster Mac and Cheese at The Red Hook Lobster Pound.

16 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

For men, wearing a hat indoors, at any time, is absolutely ill mannered, even when playing Cunard's dressing up game. That nonsense is for children at Hallowe'en. It is certainly not appropriate for a black tie event.

I have to admit to being ill mannered from time to time.

I have very little hair and for much of the year I need to protect my bald head from sunburn. We often walk to the shops and I need both hands to deal with the trolley and scanning items. It's more practical to keep my hat on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

I’m including several outfits which I will keep for the end of the voyage.Of a more loose fitting to compensate for the “sea air shrink “

Catch my drift,!

I know someone who took two different sized dinner jackets etc. on a world cruise.

To update the guidance I posted earlier about the Roaring Twenties and Masquerade themes (which is several years old), here is what the Cunard website says now in the "Gala Evening themes" section of their "What to pack" page.

Roaring 20s

For Roaring 20s, a simple nod towards the theme is all that's required - a pocket square in an art deco print or a feathered slide in your hair - but if you'd like to bring a flapper dress, or braces and a trilby, you're sure to fit right in.

Masquerade Ball

An evening of mystery, intrigue and suspense awaits as Cunard transports you back to Renaissance Italy and the infamous Venetian Masquerade Carnivals. Whatever you decide to wear, bring along a mask to match - or even make your own.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, D&N said:

No, she'll take 14 outfits for evenings and wear each on the evening planned. She'll also have 12 day time/lunch outfits, which she might be slightly more flexible with. She'll probably take something slightly more casual for Lobster Mac and Cheese at The Red Hook Lobster Pound.

You will have to forgive me and I know I've said this before, but I can't get over planning a wardrobe to that finer detail. You'll be telling me you have a what to wear and when spreadsheet  next! 🙂

I look at what I've brought with me and depending on how I feel, decide on the night.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You will have to forgive me and I know I've said this before, but I can't get over planning a wardrobe to that finer detail. You'll be telling me you have a what to wear and when spreadsheet  next! 🙂

I look at what I've brought with me and depending on how I feel, decide on the night.

I admit that I have a what to wear and when spreadsheet for planning purposes, but it generally gets tossed once I'm on board. 

17 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I admit that I have a what to wear and when spreadsheet for planning purposes, but it generally gets tossed once I'm on board. 

Similar to my NY resolutions. They generally get tossed on Jan 2nd! 😀

I'm afraid I'm a last minute toss it in the case packer as all my 'cruise clothes' could be worn every night, apart from my formal dresses and again, it's choose and pack the day before. My packing method hasn't let me down yet!

We're doing a QM2 crossing from Hamburg next May after spending a week in Germany visiting family. I'm assuming that flowing, chiffon pants and lovely tops/jackets will be acceptable on gala nights...? I no longer own any evening gowns and wouldn't have room in my luggage anyway. My husband plans to bring a suit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BWV said:

We're doing a QM2 crossing from Hamburg next May after spending a week in Germany visiting family. I'm assuming that flowing, chiffon pants and lovely tops/jackets will be acceptable on gala nights...? I no longer own any evening gowns and wouldn't have room in my luggage anyway. My husband plans to bring a suit.

Perfect.

• Thanks 1