Pricing questions

sadiwest

Looking at this trip we've got booked RCCL shows an average price of under $500 pp.

However when you look at the availability of cabins an interior is lowest price at over $500 pp.  Now I am old and my math experience was a long time ago, but how can the average price ppdo be lower than the lowest price offered ppdo?

Of course I'm assuming they're not using 3 or 4 people per cabin to calculate one average but dbl occupancy to calculate the other average. 

Screenshot_20231018_091403_Chrome.jpg

The $419 doesn't include port taxes and fees (see the fine print at the bottom that shows $170.94).

Is that the discrepancy? When I search that cruise I see interior GTY's for the $419 price.

Nice price btw; that's even lower than price listed in the GGG flier.

Edited by OCSC Mike

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

The $419 doesn't include port taxes and fees (see the fine print at the bottom that shows $170.94).

Is that the discrepancy? When I search that cruise I see interior GTY's for the $419 price.

Nice price btw; that's even lower than price listed in the GGG flier.

Oh possibly....    I did not realize that's how they show it.

Price has gone down twice at least since I booked.  I do have a balcony now (which is sold out) so fingers crossed for a Royal Up.

Fwiw I've already injured myself so hopefully this time we actually make it onto the cruise.  🙄

• Like 1

Well when you look at cruises on RCCL, I'm not so bright, answer may be simple.  Example, cruise is 8,000 for 2, I understand that is a non refund price, then at the bottom is the cruise and cost, then below that is a, you are savings, say 3,000. Now is the cost above inclusive of the savings or is the savings to be subtracted, if so why is it not subtracted. I need to go back to school or just to old to book a cruise.

They also often show it as "lowest price" but for multiple dates, often not the date you are on or after.  In your example it shows 2 dates, so it may not be for your sailing, but yes, it's often shown as a number to grab you - they take after car dealer advertising!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

They also often show it as "lowest price" but for multiple dates, often not the date you are on or after.  In your example it shows 2 dates, so it may not be for your sailing, but yes, it's often shown as a number to grab you - they take after car dealer advertising!

This one was for the specific date I've booked.  

4 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Oh possibly....    I did not realize that's how they show it.

Price has gone down twice at least since I booked.  I do have a balcony now (which is sold out) so fingers crossed for a Royal Up.

Fwiw I've already injured myself so hopefully this time we actually make it onto the cruise.  🙄

You can always call and reprice up to final payment.

Doesn't the average change based on the number of folks in a cabin?  Let's say the "lowest" price for a person is $500.  That would be for pax 1 or 2, right?  So you put 2 people in a cabin and $1000.  

BUT, pax 3 & 4 will be less.  Maybe $300 each?  So four passengers, the total would be $1600 (2x $500 + 2x $300).  The average price would then be $400.

Just a guess. 

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Doesn't the average change based on the number of folks in a cabin?  Let's say the "lowest" price for a person is $500.  That would be for pax 1 or 2, right?  So you put 2 people in a cabin and $1000.  

BUT, pax 3 & 4 will be less.  Maybe $300 each?  So four passengers, the total would be $1600 (2x $500 + 2x $300).  The average price would then be $400.

Just a guess. 

Correct guess

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I always check with a mock booking for an actual price as the price you see is just a "from", does not mean any at that price exist.

Same.  Many times that price is for a guarantee stateroom. Once you choose the option to select your  own room location many times the price jumps just from that alone.  Then come the taxes and port fees, and then prepaid gratuities or insurance if you so choose.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Correct guess

About two days ago the average was $488 but the total price in a mock booking for 3 people was (lets say) $588.

Today the average they show (same screen where it lists all dates and prices for same ship/itinerary) was 419 i think but the mock booking again showed same per person price.

I guess I'm not understanding how they finnagle the numbers in some places but not others.   If my 3 person family spends more or less in total is the bottom line but it didn't make sense....how they got that number. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Just a guess. 

Yes if course but an average is not possibly lower than the lowest per person price they offer.  

Besides typically everything is "PPDO" so they just divided it now by triple occupancy for show?

Don't get me wrong...I changed rooms and kept the same rate so im happy. Just confused.  

5 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

About two days ago the average was $488 but the total price in a mock booking for 3 people was (lets say) $588.

Today the average they show (same screen where it lists all dates and prices for same ship/itinerary) was 419 i think but the mock booking again showed same per person price.

I guess I'm not understanding how they finnagle the numbers in some places but not others.   If my 3 person family spends more or less in total is the bottom line but it didn't make sense....how they got that number. 

Very easily explained.

The price for 2 could have been a gty while the price for 3 could have been for a choose your own cabin.

Bottom line is look at the actual price of the cabin not at hhe lead in prices.

18 hours ago, sadiwest said:

With my upcoming Royal cruise it was cheaper to book 2 cabins than it was to have a cabin for 3 people. That was even with paying single occupancy for one cabin. Even cabins that have room for 3 people they wouldn’t allow 3 adults and wanted us to upgrade to another class which was over double the price.

15 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Don't even try to figure out royal's pricing or averaging. It took them a long time to get to know how to confuse people.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm explaining myself correctly.   Originally talking about when you're exploring cruises to book where it says "starting at"...   but it's beel fluctuating daily and I'm guessing it's because cabin types come and go. 

Just saying it didn't make sense the lowest rate is higer than "starting from average ".