Mediterranean in June — Help!

ProfessorKafka

Hi Everyone!

I’m going nutso trying to decide which cruise to book.  After searching and looking at everything for the past couple of months, I have narrowed it down to two choices, but there are good and bad things with both.  

[I guess my first question should be, is it too late to plan and book a Mediterranean cruise for June?]
We can either do Celebrity Constellation, 11 day Italy and Croatia, or NCL Escape 11 day Barcelona to Venice.  They have similar itineraries and both cost about the same.

So here is some information about what we’re looking for:

We are a family of four, the “kids” are 19 and 15.  My husband’s big dream trip is to go to Italy, but it’s too difficult to plan everything for ourselves, and none of us would like a group tour.  
Both of these cruises stop at the major cities in Italy, although the Celebrity cruise has an overnight in Livermore, so we’d have that awesome extra day in Florence.  My kids have no interest in France or Spain, but Croatia is is a big draw for them.  

Here’s my family’s input on the cruise itself:  My girls want nothing to do with noisy crowded activities, and just want to find a quiet place to sit.  My husband just sees the cruise as a form of transportation between ports, but would like decent food and maybe some entertainment.  I am looking for a ship that would be a nice place to hang out if I’m too tired to go running around every day.  I also want yummy food, of course! 
i guess I’ll stop writing since this is so long, but if anyone has any experience with these choices or advice, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

I used to be a loyal Celebrity cruiser, but they have changed a few things, so they are no longer a very good fit for us. However, of those two, I’d still much rather take the Celebrity cruise. There are just too many people on that NCL ship for my comfort! The town we live in doesn’t even have 4000 people. I think there is enough happening on Constellation to keep your kids happy, and you don’t have to worry about the time it will take to get all those people on and off the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

Hi Everyone!

I’m going nutso trying to decide which cruise to book.  After searching and looking at everything for the past couple of months, I have narrowed it down to two choices, but there are good and bad things with both.  

[I guess my first question should be, is it too late to plan and book a Mediterranean cruise for June?]
We can either do Celebrity Constellation, 11 day Italy and Croatia, or NCL Escape 11 day Barcelona to Venice.  They have similar itineraries and both cost about the same.

So here is some information about what we’re looking for:

We are a family of four, the “kids” are 19 and 15.  My husband’s big dream trip is to go to Italy, but it’s too difficult to plan everything for ourselves, and none of us would like a group tour.  
Both of these cruises stop at the major cities in Italy, although the Celebrity cruise has an overnight in Livermore, so we’d have that awesome extra day in Florence.  My kids have no interest in France or Spain, but Croatia is is a big draw for them.  

Here’s my family’s input on the cruise itself:  My girls want nothing to do with noisy crowded activities, and just want to find a quiet place to sit.  My husband just sees the cruise as a form of transportation between ports, but would like decent food and maybe some entertainment.  I am looking for a ship that would be a nice place to hang out if I’m too tired to go running around every day.  I also want yummy food, of course! 
i guess I’ll stop writing since this is so long, but if anyone has any experience with these choices or advice, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

To be honest, it doesn't sound as if a family cruise is a good choice for you.  Everyone wants different things that are pretty incompatible and, to a degree, mutually exclusive.

My vote would be for Celebrity. Despite some blips this year, Celebrity food still holds up to most other mass market lines. Celebrity ships, even the older ones are beautifully designed, and I’d take a smaller ship over a larger one in the Med any day, especially with the Livorno overnight.

There is an Italy ports of call forum here as well if you’re looking for any help planning your days in Italy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the decision to cruise has been made, and only Celebrity and NCL are the options, we would quickly choose Celebrity.  Otherwise, there are many other options which might be a better fit for the OP.  

And I have a question for the OP?  Two teens choose Croatia over France and Italy?  Pray tell...why?

For the record we have spent plenty of time in France, Italy and Croatia (and like all those countries).

Hank

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Two teens choose Croatia over France and Italy?  Pray tell...why?

Just a WAG, but I'll bet it has something to do with Game of Thrones film locations.

OP, add me to the list voting for Celebrity. Especially for the overnight in Livorno. And the smaller ship.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And I have a question for the OP?  Two teens choose Croatia over France and Italy?  Pray tell...why?

They think “everybody goes to France”, but that Croatia sounds awesome, because no one they know has ever gone there.  So it’s cool because it’s different, I guess.  Also, we are all big GOT fans and my daughters think it’s neat to go to both “King’s Landing” and “Meereen” in one vacation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ProfessorKafka said:

And I have a question for the OP?  Two teens choose Croatia over France and Italy? 

Also, the trip is mostly an Italy cruise for our 30th anniversary, but includes a few stops along coast of Adriatic.  (An extra added bonus!)😊

8 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

Also, the trip is mostly an Italy cruise for our 30th anniversary, but includes a few stops along coast of Adriatic.

i would also choose the Italy/Adriatic itinerary as we have sailed several itineraries around the Adriatic in particular and loved every one.

is it too late to plan and book a Mediterranean cruise for June?]  I don't understand this at all.  This is October 23 and you are planning for June 24, almost 8 months away.. That should be more than adequate to plan a few port stops even if you plan to visit independently.  So much info to be found on the boards and in other online resources, plus guide books, YouTube videos, even looking at shorex as they will give you an idea of what could be possible and you don't need to book any. Yes,  it will require time, but not nearly 8 months. And your girls are teens, so get them involved especially for planning the GOT location stops.  And maybe your husband would help with one or two ports?  This is is a family trip so all of you should have some input.

If you list your ports, members can quickly tell you which are easy DIY and which would be better with a shorex or private tour, but cost could also be a factor as you are four persons and the more you can DIY, the less costly it will be for you and that is something you should also take into account when comparing the two itineraries. And compare actual times in port as NCL have a bit of a reputation for having shorter port times than some other lines in some parts of the world.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

i would also choose the Italy/Adriatic itinerary as we have sailed several itineraries around the Adriatic in particular and loved every one.

is it too late to plan and book a Mediterranean cruise for June?]  I don't understand this at all.  This is October 23 and you are planning for June 24, almost 8 months away.. That should be more than adequate to plan a few port stops even if you plan to visit independently.  So much info to be found on the boards and in other online resources, plus guide books, YouTube videos, even looking at shorex as they will give you an idea of what could be possible and you don't need to book any. Yes,  it will require time, but not nearly 8 months. And your girls are teens, so get them involved especially for planning the GOT location stops.  And maybe your husband would help with one or two ports?  This is is a family trip so all of you should have some input.

If you list your ports, members can quickly tell you which are easy DIY and which would be better with a shorex or private tour, but cost could also be a factor as you are four persons and the more you can DIY, the less costly it will be for you and that is something you should also take into account when comparing the two itineraries. And compare actual times in port as NCL have a bit of a reputation for having shorter port times than some other lines in some parts of the world.

Thank you so much for easing my mind a bit 😊. The reason that I am worried about being late on my planning is that when I go to choose rooms, the Celebrity website lists most everything as unavailable.  So I was worried that maybe a cruise should be booked like way farther in advance?  I’ve never planned a cruise before, and I’m almost positive I’m going to mess everything up!   
Thanks for the info!

6 minutes ago, ProfessorKafka said:

the Celebrity website lists most everything as unavailable.

If it is an especially good itinerary with interesting ports of call, it may indeed be selling well and it isn't uncommon for some cruises to go on sale as early as 18 months ahead of travel date.  Maybe you could try calling Celebrity to check  or contact a TA?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

Also, the trip is mostly an Italy cruise for our 30th anniversary, but includes a few stops along coast of Adriatic.  (An extra added bonus!)😊

I think a family cruise is the perfect vacation for four people with some different, some similar interests! There is something there for everyone. And I agree that of your short list Celebrity is the one. Both ship and itinerary. 

ETA: Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

The reason that I am worried about being late on my planning is that when I go to choose rooms, the Celebrity website lists most everything as unavailable

i had thought your comment about being to late for planning, meant late for port planning for your time ashore, not for  booking.the actual trip.  If there are  signs are that it is selling well.you should probably look into booking the cruise as a priority. Some TA's have access to staterooms which don't show on the website.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Is RC not a line you would consider?  They have a trip on  which includes Slovenia, 3 Croatia stops Montenegro and Italy

I did see that one, but I needed to find one that focused mostly on Italy.  This Celebrity cruise is the one I really like the best, I was just sidetracked with the NCL option because it was in a sparkly new ship.  
However, after we watched a few videos on YouTube last night, everyone decided that the Constellation looks about as close to what we’d all like as we could possibly afford. I’m thinking I’ll just book it tomorrow….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProfessorKafka said:

The Celebrity cruise I’ve selected has a stop in Montenegro as well 😊

Hoping it is KOPER. If it is, be on deck at least an hour before scheduled arrival for the very scenic sail-in, one of the prettiest of all ports anywhere, and the town itself  is a delight to explore on foot.

• Like 2

Guess what?  I actually booked our cruise today!  Hurrah 😃 

We chose the Celebrity Constellation one, and everyone in the family is very excited.  My daughters are stoked because I just went ahead and got them their own room next to ours (not connected, just neighbors).  It ended up not costing much more than sharing one room, because the “all-inclusive” thing only applies to two people, so I’d have to buy it separately.
Now I can stop worrying about which cruise, and start worrying about what to do next.  It’s all so overwhelming!
I guess I will be asking tons more questions for the next eight months.  Thanks for all the help so far!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

We chose the Celebrity Constellation one, and everyone in the family is very excited.  

You'll want to be asking your line- and ship-specific questions on the Celebrity board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

I was just remembering that Croatia is known as the poor man's Greece! Our Greek-American trust advisor agreed! He said his friends and family "back home" take their holidays in Croatia because Greece is too expensive. It is very beautiful.

Congrats on making your decision, especially getting two staterooms (and two bathrooms! maybe dad won't have to shower in the gym this way).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

We chose the Celebrity Constellation one, and everyone in the family is very excited.  My daughters are stoked because I just went ahead and got them their own room next to ours (not connected, just neighbors).  It ended up not costing much more than sharing one room, because the “all-inclusive” thing only applies to two people, so I’d have to buy it separately.
Now I can stop worrying about which cruise, and start worrying about what to do next.  It’s all so overwhelming!
I guess I will be asking tons more questions for the next eight months.  Thanks for all the help so far!

Hello @ProfessorKafka and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers, and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

For questions regarding your ports of call you will want to research the Ports of Call - Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western forums.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will reply to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you with their replies.

Anytime you are reading a thread and want to address a particular post already in the thread, be sure to use the Quote feature on that post as I did yours. That way all will be aware of what your post concerns. You then type your reply UNDER the light blue quote box. When you are done with your post, click the blue Submit Reply button.

Now that you have booked your cruise, be sure to locate and post on the specific Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date. For information about our Roll Calls, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have the following Cruise Critic article from last year you might enjoy8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

The specific Roll Call thread for your cruise line, ship and sail date is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted private share requests that may interest you.

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. Again, you will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ProfessorKafka said:

Congrats on booking the cruise, you will probably never look back and this could be the start of a continuing cruising adventure for you and your family.

I am not sure about flights from USA but for flights from Europe the advise is always book asap preferably with refundable tickets.

Check google flights and the IATA website for the possibilities before deciding which flights you prefer. Always fly in a day early.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

Then after deciding dates for precruise also book hotel preferably refundable.

Check the ports on Trip Advisor 

Then return to CC for further advise, we are a helpful bunch.

I would also advise that you join your roll call to meet up with fellow cruisers.

It will be one of these.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?type=forums_topic&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&nodes=193&q=Jun June

Happy planning 

Rosalyn

• Thanks 1