Carnival Panorama docking at 9am in Long Beach....time to get to LAX

Kelownabccan

Have a choice of flights back to Canada.....11:35 or 12:25 or way later at 5 pm....what is the best one.......assuming that you could be delayed getting off and then trying to get Uber to Lax....what are your experiences.......looking at booking flights soon to get home........doing the 7 day Mexico cruise in April.....Thanks....

52 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Have a choice of flights back to Canada.....11:35 or 12:25 or way later at 5 pm....what is the best one.......assuming that you could be delayed getting off and then trying to get Uber to Lax....what are your experiences.......looking at booking flights soon to get home........doing the 7 day Mexico cruise in April.....Thanks....

I'd also check John Wayne Airport (SNA).  I know at least Air Canada flies there to Vancouver (assuming you're connecting to Kelowna given your username).

Had a flight out of LAX last November to Vancouver departing at 11.40 am

Ship arrived  in about 7.00am.

Did self debark with luggage.

Was in an Uber about 9 and arrived with lots of time.

However if the ship is delayed in arriving all bets are off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

We're in the same situation in Feb. Opted for the 5pm flight. Just didn't feel comfortable with the timing for the earlier flights. 

• Like 3

Have done that Mexican Riviera many times and some of the times the ship was back in the port in the dark, but as others have said so much can happen on the return, I'd opt for the later time. Relax on the ship, be the last to debark and you'll have a lot less chance of a hassle. Enjoy the MR.

We also will be on the Panorama in April/May.  We can pick two flights back to NYC.  One at 2:15pm and another at 4:15pm. How bad can traffic be on a Saturday?  The 4:15 pm won't get us into NYC until after midnight which is pretty inconvenient.

Edited by EllieinNJ

we had a redeye back home after arriving in Long Beach.  

that said, we booked a LAX hotel and were checked in and in room by 10am after debarkation.  

i think the noon flight will be more than ok assuming no late arrival to port.  of all my cruises i've only had one that debarked a little tardy (about 60-90 min delay) and that wasnt due to arriving late to port...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BOB999 said:

I'd also check John Wayne Airport (SNA).  I know at least Air Canada flies there to Vancouver (assuming you're connecting to Kelowna given your username).

Hey thanks for that tip.....they have planes to Van or Calgary that leave in the 1:30 pm range..should be abe to get to that time frame..better time and home earlier than the 5 pm out of Lax......now will see how long to get to that airport from the cruise port......

1 hour ago, Kelownabccan said:

Hey thanks for that tip.....they have planes to Van or Calgary that leave in the 1:30 pm range..should be abe to get to that time frame..better time and home earlier than the 5 pm out of Lax......now will see how long to get to that airport from the cruise port......

That is about a 25 mile drive or about a 40 minute drive approximately. 1:30 pm flight gives you good breathing room also. 

20 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

That is about a 25 mile drive or about a 40 minute drive approximately. 1:30 pm flight gives you good breathing room also. 

Not much longer than going to LAX with more traffic and bigger airport and hassles....lol

• Like 1

We fly out of LAX frequently (and I agree, it's terrible but has a lot more great/direct flight options).

Typically we have had no problem making it from the ship to the airport in time for 10:30 or 11 am flights. But we do Platinum debarkation, never check bags, and have TSA Pre-check.

Although, in July were on Panorama and had propulsion issues, got back to port late, and we did not make our flight. We weren't able to get off the ship until 9:30 and were in our Uber by 9:40, but with/LA area traffic we were just a little too late.

Having said all that, worst case scenario, we still could have easily made a 12:25 flight.

9 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We also will be on the Panorama in April/May.  We can pick two flights back to NYC.  One at 2:15pm and another at 4:15pm. How bad can traffic be on a Saturday?  The 4:15 pm won't get us into NYC until after midnight which is pretty inconvenient.

Traffic on the 405 from Long Beach to LAX is heavy even on Saturday.

Well it boils down to two ideas.......SNA at 1:30 or 5PM at LAX......leaning towards the sna one as with 7 of us and two kids arriving home at almost midnight is not a great idea if do the lax one.....lol......the other one gets us home 7 ish.....way better.....suck up a few extra bucks for better stress levels....haha....and a bonus.....going have to stay overnight before the cruise...cheaper hotels around the sna airport....so a win there.....

21 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

Had a flight out of LAX last November to Vancouver departing at 11.40 am

Ship arrived  in about 7.00am.

Did self debark with luggage.

Was in an Uber about 9 and arrived with lots of time.

However if the ship is delayed in arriving all bets are off.

This is exactly what I was banking on and have us booked on the 11:40 out of LAX.  Going to take our own luggage the moment we can get off. Straight to Uber or taxi, whichever has the fastest line.  I’ve done this a few times successfully, including Galveston which had a decent drive to Houston.  I did NOT however realize the ship docks at 9.  I figured 8.  Rookie move on my part to not double check.  I’m watching the next flight and hoping it comes down in price.  It’s considerably more.  

On the Nov.10 sailing .

Are booked on the 11.40 am flight again.

The ship almost always docks long before 9

Many times I have tracked the ship on “Marine Traffic”

and seen it docked at About 7.00am

Any delays seemed to be related to propulsion issues or storms

We were docked around 7 AM this morning and carry off started debarking at 8. We are Platinum and were supposed to wait until 10 to get off but left around 9:30 and a lot of the luggage in our group was already picked up. Next time we will get off 9. This was the 6 day so we were in Ensenada yesterday which is a short distance from Long Beach. The 7 day is a little more prone to delay as they have to come all they way up the Baja coast on the one sea day. Traffic was not bad this morning either, it’s usually much worse on the week days. The Panorama is our favorite ship, enjoy! 

On 10/20/2023 at 3:27 PM, tootsiescurly said:

Traffic on the 405 from Long Beach to LAX is heavy even on Saturday.

It’s not all that bad.  And the current rebuilding project between SNA and Long Beach is set to conclude soon, before the OP travels, ending roughly 15 years of continuous construction in the area.  And those brand speaking new toll lanes will minimize the travel time, if you are willing to pay the toll….

Edited by Itried4498

On 10/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, moking said:

we left our room at 8:00am got on the bus at 8:45am left exactly at 9:00am got to LAX at 9:35am flight was 12:55pm - everything was quick and organized 

Did you Uber or taxi?

Here's the only thing you need to really worry about. Panorama comes from a great distance away on its home bound leg and is somewhat prone to delays. IF she docks on time, it's no problem getting to a noonish flight. For other cruises that might dock in Ensenada as a final port, delays are largely unheard of.

• Like 1