New to MSC

sassy~one

I have started looking into MSC sailings. I'm looking for a few beginners tips on how to get going. Looking for budget minded. I am diamond on Carnival and 3 star on HAL. I have also sailed NCL, RC, and Disney. 

I have learned about 'matching' my status.

I am a mature lady, probably sailing solo, and east coast works best for me.

I have no problem with an inside cabin.

Thanks so much. 

Are you looking for info on specific ships? Itineraries? When are you thinking of sailing? One thing that seems to be somewhat common on US sailings right now is that bookings are completely blocked for solo cruisers, so you may have some trouble finding a sailing that will allow you to book. Many MSC ships do have some studio cabins, so you may be able to snag one of those.

• Like 1

Hello!

I suspect you will get lots of advice stating that Yacht Club is the only way to sail MSC.  We disagree. We sailed Bella, which is the "lowest" category, and we were just fine with that.

I do recommend studying the four levels of booking.  Each has its perks. For example, we prefer set dining, so Bella or Fantastica were appropriate for us.  If spa access is important to you, then Aurea might be your choice.

Most of the negative reviews seem to be based on short (3- or 4-night) cruises. When we sailed, we did two 7-nighters, B2B. Many of the schedules now show longer cruises - 10 or 11-night - but when you look closely, you will see that is a 7-night with a 3- or 4-night, which, in my opinion, is a negative.

• Like 1

I also am a very mature single who has six MSC cruises without YC.  I am not against choosing Bella, but given a choice, I go Fantastica.  I don’t care what kind of cabin I have.  Balconies are nice to have, but as I seldom use them, they are not worth it.  I’m not a ‘stay in my cabin’ person so a lot of space isn’t important.  I study the ship cabin categories and their numbers.  I have booked inside and OV gty cabins and been upgraded to a balcony every time.  I am currently booked in an OV cabin, only because it has a couch, and the insides do not.  I have some arthritis in my back and hips and sometimes curling up on the couch is more comfortable than the bed.  EM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sassy~one said:

I'm looking for a few beginners tips on how to get going. Looking for budget minded.

I am a mature lady, probably sailing solo

You might think that it is not relevant for a sailing from the US, but to get an (affordable) inside cabin you have to avoid the European main school holidays. 

• Like 1

We recently booked our first MSC cruise. What I found most confusing as someone who has mostly cruised on RC was the various levels or "experiences" ....  I recommend you review these carefully as to what implications they have relative to dining options/timing and room location. I wish the MSC rep had been a bit more clear about the whole thing. 

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You'll get better/more complete information by asking your questions here.

MSC's "experiences" are different from the other cruise lines but they aren't really complicated.

Yes, I did find some of my answers here. As well as on the MSC website. 

I was not used to the concept of "my time dining" not being available to everyone on the ship. 

So my advice to the OP who is also new to MSC is to ensure they understand some of these basic differences.

Happy cruising to all.