Odyssey vs Symphony

13 minutes ago, chriscec2012 said:

Trying to choose between two cruises (odyssey or symphony) in terms of ship what are the pros/cons to Odyssey vs an Oasis class ship? I’ve only been on oasis ships so wondering if it’s a huge difference? 

Pretty big difference, yes. 🙂 Both the Oasis class and the Quantum class (including the Odyssey) have features that we miss when we're on the other one.

Pros and cons are EXTREMELY subjective, however. For example, the size of the Symphony might be a pro for one person, and a con for someone else. Not having the Odyssey's skydiving simulator might be a huge drawback, or maybe you wouldn't use it even if you had it. I would recommend watching a YouTube ship tour of the Odyssey, since you're already familiar with the Oasis class, so you can compare for yourself. 

• Like 1

Big difference but decision probably depends on what you view as the most important things you like about oasis class. Central Park, ease of crossing forward to aft, water shows, ice shows, dual flowriders all missing from odyssey. Indoor pickleball/playmakers venue, sky diving simulator, shows in the 270 venue missing from oasis class…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Pretty big difference, yes. 🙂 Both the Oasis class and the Quantum class (including the Odyssey) have features that we miss when we're on the other one.

Pros and cons are EXTREMELY subjective, however. For example, the size of the Symphony might be a pro for one person, and a con for someone else. Not having the Odyssey's skydiving simulator might be a huge drawback, or maybe you wouldn't use it even if you had it. I would recommend watching a YouTube ship tour of the Odyssey, since you're already familiar with the Oasis class, so you can compare for yourself. 

Yea I get it, I love the size of oasis class and how everything always seems to be spread out. From my YouTube videos that I’ve watched odyssey almost has an old carnival ship feel, like really old carnival ship with new amenities lol. I was hoping I was missing something or someone could tell me why they liked odyssey. The itinerary is 8 days vs 6 on symphony and it’s Aruba vs Haiti and Nassau lol. 

6 minutes ago, chriscec2012 said:

From my YouTube videos that I’ve watched odyssey almost has an old carnival ship feel, like really old carnival ship with new amenities lol. I was hoping I was missing something or someone could tell me why they liked odyssey. 

Ah, gotcha! Well, in that case, here is what we love about the Odyssey. 🙂

I LOVE the fully enclosed and air-conditioned solarium, unlike the Oasis class. DH loves using the skydiving simulator and the bumper cars. Both of us love the Two70 venue and the North Star for incomparable views while in port, and Giovanni's Wine Bar where we can buy our favorite menu items a la carte instead of paying for the full meal.  

But as I said, I really like the Oasis class too. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either ship, but for two extra days and better ports (IMHO), I personally would go Odyssey. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, chriscec2012 said:

Yea I get it, I love the size of oasis class and how everything always seems to be spread out. From my YouTube videos that I’ve watched odyssey almost has an old carnival ship feel, like really old carnival ship with new amenities lol. I was hoping I was missing something or someone could tell me why they liked odyssey. The itinerary is 8 days vs 6 on symphony and it’s Aruba vs Haiti and Nassau lol. 

Odyssey was my first experience of a Quantum class ship and I would have to say I definitely preferred Oasis class (haven't been on Symphony yet, going next February).

If the itineraries were largely the same, I would say Symphony but there's no way I would pass up an 8-day to Aruba in favour of 6 days to Haiti and Nassau.

So, in this case, I would have to vote for Odyssey. It is still a great ship and I think you'd be hard pressed not to have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Ah, gotcha! Well, in that case, here is what we love about the Odyssey. 🙂

I LOVE the fully enclosed and air-conditioned solarium, unlike the Oasis class. DH loves using the skydiving simulator and the bumper cars. Both of us love the Two70 venue and the North Star for incomparable views while in port, and Giovanni's Wine Bar where we can buy our favorite menu items a la carte instead of paying for the full meal.  

But as I said, I really like the Oasis class too. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either ship, but for two extra days and better ports (IMHO), I personally would go Odyssey. 

Agree wholeheartedly.

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

Odyssey was my first experience of a Quantum class ship and I would have to say I definitely preferred Oasis class (haven't been on Symphony yet, going next February).

If the itineraries were largely the same, I would say Symphony but there's no way I would pass up an 8-day to Aruba in favour of 6 days to Haiti and Nassau.

So, in this case, I would have to vote for Odyssey. It is still a great ship and I think you'd be hard pressed not to have a wonderful cruise.

If you could swap weeks and do the 8 day on symphony to Aruba I would do that but when we faced same itinerary/class/6 vs 8 we picked odyssey. 

• Like 1

I haven't met a cruise ship i didn't like....so I'm not the best to give advise BUT - i've been on both. I prefer Symphony for the Aqua Show, Central Park and Boardwalk. But we had a great cruise on Odyssey too (also, love the Northstar and the bumper cars!) so based on itinerary i would definitely go with Odyssey!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wrldtrvllr said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

If you could swap weeks and do the 8 day on symphony to Aruba I would do that but when we faced same itinerary/class/6 vs 8 we picked odyssey. 

I’m taking your advice and moved to the next week and going symphony to Aruba. Seems like the best decisions to get the ship I like and the ports as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chriscec2012 said:

I’m taking your advice and moved to the next week and going symphony to Aruba. Seems like the best decisions to get the ship I like and the ports as well. 

That's the one we're doing in February. Aruba is one of my favourite ports.

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We have sailed on both...love them both. Agree, 8 days is better than 6 so Odyssey.....plus we love Aruba.

* Boarding Symphony in about 4 hours. :classic_smile:

Ooh, nice. Are you staying on for the TA?

16 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Both of us love the Two70 venue and the North Star for incomparable views while in port.

However, if you are on Oasis your view from the front open solarium is much better than the Odyssey's 2X70, especially if one leaves out of Bayonne and the view of NYC skyline.

Here's an idea, see if you can do a BtoB out of Bayonne as Symphony leaves and replaced by Odyssey.

My only problem with Odyssey is that it does not have an indoor pool which is a downer when sailing in the cooler months from Bayonne. 

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, wrldtrvllr said:

Yes. DH birthday is the 29th. Have a great birthday cruise!

On the off year, which date do you celebrate.  My wife was a leap year baby and we celebrated both the 28 & 1st.🤣

• Like 1

We are older and prefer the traditional style ships.... We've cruised on  Vision and Voyager class and last year cruised on Quantum class (Odyssey). The Oasis style are just too big and it feels you wouldn't see the whole ship before cruise is over. The additional extras are of little interest to us. So much depends IMO to your age and activity level.

We found Odyssey to be the perfect mix of new and traditional. Playmakers and the inside Rec area were amazing. We loved the Solarium and the many areas on deck we could find less crowded areas. 

We did the 8 day Southern Carribean (our favorite itinerary) and the extra day is always a bonus!

You will not be disappointed if you decide on Odyssey

• Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 1:24 PM, chriscec2012 said:

I've done that Odyssey 8 day to the Southern Caribbean.  I'd take that one over a 6 day to Nassau any day.  Odyssey is a fabulous ship.  There are tonnes of things to do on Odyssey.  The entertainment is excellent. The ship didn't feel crowded and the dining options are just as good on Odyssey as they will be on Symphony.  

• Like 2