Going LIVE on Nieuw Statendam roundtrip Rome ⛲🛵Oct 26-Nov 9: Planes Trains Vespas & Ships w/GOT!!

Haljo1935

@Haljo1935...safe travels.  Looking forward to following along.

My other half won't fly so as much as I would love to cruise overseas it would have to be via a TA to start with!

It was a lot of work finding a cruise to get him from San Diego to Vancouver to cruise Alaska.  The things we do for cruising!

ENJOY!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Arrived 27 minutes early.  Welcome to Rome.

Roy

Thanks, Roy - we were a tad early touching down, but that time was lost spent waiting on luggage. The 2 bags we gate checked showed up right away; the other 2 took over 30 min. But they're here so we will not be wearing the same thing g everyday 🫣

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bxc53 said:

Thanks for taking some of your vacation time to share with us!  We are on the Nieuw Statendam next Spring for the FLL to Rotterdam TA. We’ll be especially interested in the Ship-side aspects of your cruise. 

She goes into dry dock at the end of our cruise, so you should some new stuff. I'll see if I can find out what that will be.

Thanks for joining!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Haljo1935...safe travels.  Looking forward to following along.

My other half won't fly so as much as I would love to cruise overseas it would have to be via a TA to start with!

It was a lot of work finding a cruise to get him from San Diego to Vancouver to cruise Alaska.  The things we do for cruising!

ENJOY!

DH was not thrilled about the flight to Rome, but the lure of the locations won out over the ease and comfort of a short flight. It took longer to get our 🧳 than to get through passport control. But the plane ride was not necessarily comfortable. 

Thanks for coming along.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I missed your bin voyage party 🎉. Happy Sailing 

Thanks! We just returned from a nightmare tour of Rome - it was, of course, beautiful! We are very much looking forward to the cruise portion.

• Like 4

On 10/24/2023 at 9:42 PM, fairydustca said:

Agree with another poster...spend some time strolling around Piazza Navona. The fountains are beautiful, and the area is great for cappuccino or wine and people-watching!

Have a wonderful trip. We love HAL, especially the music venues. We will be on a similar trip on Viking in February!

We are hoping to get there and should have an easier time of it tomorrow. Traffic was expected to be disrupted around there due to demonstrations.

20231024_152511.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Enjoy Rome!  Visit Campo di Fiori and wander a little further for some nice restaurants! 

I do think a person could do nothing but eat and have a very nice trip. We have added that to our list.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Just catching up - and it looks like just in time 🙂 

Have a great cruise 😄 

If I have half as good a time as you did, it will be great.

Glad you made it back in one piece and glad you're here.

• Like 2

I'll get back to the rest of the airport to hotel transfer, but since I'm thinking about our dinner, I'll just talk about it now. As mentioned, we stopped for a casual bite on the way to a nighttime tour of Rome. Walking from hotel to Termini, there are numerous dining options. Inside, at the back, of a little convenience store is the Peri Peri Grill. 25eu got us more food than we could finish: onion rings to share (pardon the bite - I had to taste while they were hot), DH had lasagna, grilled veggies, lemon tea & espresso. I had grilled chicken salad; we passed on dessert for probably the only time this trip.🙄 No idea why neither of us got wine. Also probably for the only time this trip.🫣

Very nice crew, clean tables and free wifi. We'd go back if there weren't so many other places to try.

20231026_182358.jpg

20231026_182345.jpg

20231026_182330.jpg

20231026_182208.jpg

20231026_182155.jpg

20231026_182059.jpg

20231026_182118.jpg

20231026_182018.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Also try really hard to see the Gallery Borghese,  this small museum has the most amazing sculptures.  You do need a reservation.

We have found more  authentic restaurants by avoiding those with multiple language menus, and asking locals.  There’s a great thread on CC about all things food and wine, that you may find useful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Also try really hard to see the Gallery Borghese,  this small museum has the most amazing sculptures.  You do need a reservation.

We have found more  authentic restaurants by avoiding those with multiple language menus, and asking locals.  There’s a great thread on CC about all things food and wine, that you may find useful.  

Thanks for the museum tip; we will research.

I have heard that about avoiding restaurants w/multiple language menus and plan to mostly do that. It will likely require use of Bixby to help identify the items, which is important for me - I don’t eat seafood of any kind and am not very adventurous w/my food, but I do like great flavors. We thought for an unplanned quick stop, dinner was good. 😊

• Like 6

HAL says less than 2 days - woo hoo!😊🛳️

Felt good to see the internet package listed on my itinerary. 

We have 1 port (Bari) where we did not make plans and will wing it. Seems to be very walkable, but also shows shops are closed on Sundays, which is the day we're there. So, we'll see what happens.

Speaking of walking, Samsung thought I had a good chunk of steps in by 11 this morning, that included the walk to the hotel. Thought the total for the day looked a little light, but then decided the time change messed with it. Now I will be looking at the history, too. That is the first time I've ever looked at it.🫣

20231027_032304.jpg

20231027_033331.jpg

Screenshot_20231027-033749_Samsung Health.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks! We just returned from a nightmare tour of Rome - it was, of course, beautiful! We are very much looking forward to the cruise portion.

@Mary229 Geez autocorrect. Nighttime tour of Rome. 🙄

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Dear Haljo1935.  When you are in Bari the Trulli houses in

Alberobello are an easy excursion away. They look cute and are

a very unusual type of house. They are typical of the Puglia area.

We are doing it. Just a thought if you are at a loose end in Bari.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1