Going LIVE on Nieuw Statendam roundtrip Rome ⛲🛵Oct 26-Nov 9: Planes Trains Vespas & Ships w/GOT!!

Haljo1935

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Geez autocorrect. Nighttime tour of Rome. 🙄

rofl I was waiting for a story about Rome traffic, crossing pedestrians, and a guide that didn't, but one of the following posts you wrote nighttime, so I figured it was an autocorrect. 😉

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, montythecat said:

Dear Haljo1935.  When you are in Bari the Trulli houses in

Alberobello are an easy excursion away. They look cute and are

a very unusual type of house. They are typical of the Puglia area.

We are doing it. Just a thought if you are at a loose end in Bari.

Thanks for the suggestion  - we are still looking for something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for the suggestion  - we are still looking for something. 

I second the trulli in alberobello, if you can find a trip there. Other options would be an olive oil tasting (and limoncello) at a local masseria.  Or a visit to Ostuni, Polignano or Monopoli (close to bari, can take train to some of these…) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@bennybear @AroundWithMAPTravels @montythecat greatly appreciate the suggestions for Bari (and area). Is there a concern with us being there on a Sunday that most places will be closed? The tours we find do make a comment about shops being closed on Sundays. 

Apparently by the dates on my photos, we went to Alberobello , ostuni and a masseria for olive oil tasting on a Sunday.  It was in summer, however.   But most/all shops were open there  these are pretty touristed areas, though.   I think we were in Monopoli on a Sunday too.   Shops there may not all have been open, but like Bari, not huge “tourist” draws.   Keep in mind that most shops will close for “lunch” many days of the week anyway; reopening late afternoon.(again, may not apply to tourist shops).

also, keep in mind, this is from my recollection of a 2011 trip so info may be outdated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ps . The fresh orichette in the area is to die for (including the gluten free version that I was served)!
local Primavero wine (red) is also yummy.

Regional fava beans and greens (chicory usually) also yummy, with lots of local olive oil and salt.

and don’t get me started on the gelato!   😄 Try the “ice cream sandwich “ (gelato  served in a roll)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Ps . The fresh orichette in the area is to die for (including the gluten free version that I was served)!
local Primavero wine (red) is also yummy.

Regional fava beans and greens (chicory usually) also yummy, with lots of local olive oil and salt.

and don’t get me started on the gelato!   😄 Try the “ice cream sandwich “ (gelato  served in a roll)

That is Primativo wine (not primavera,   Silly autocorrect)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

YES!! Thanks for sending. My friend going with me on the TA from Rome is insisting we're riding Vespas. 🛵

Sure looked like fun.   We wanted to join.  They putt-putted slowly past us.   Hope you get to ride.   When in bari, if all you do is a short ride, then eat your way through town with suggestions here, I would consider it a GOOD day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Sure looked like fun.   We wanted to join.  They putt-putted slowly past us.   Hope you get to ride.   When in bari, if all you do is a short ride, then eat your way through town with suggestions here, I would consider it a GOOD day.

A 3rd party vendor has an eating tour w/pasta, pizza & wine for $95pp. HAL is offering 1 excursion only - a walking tour for $49pp. We passed on both those.🥴

I appreciate the suggestions here and believe it will be a great day😊

• Like 3

We are staying at Hotel Cambridge http://www.hotelcambridge.it/location.php

A couple of these pictures are from their website as I couldn't get a decent angle in some places. I will try to get one from the front so you can see the steps required to get up into the hotel from street level and the elevator. No elevator at street level, so you do have to carry luggage up the first stairs to get to the lobby, then you can use the elevator to get luggage to your room. The elevator will not accommodate 2 people w/4 suitcases - we fit but we had to ride 1 person w/2 bags 🧳🧳to get it to move, lol.

They will hold luggage if you arrive before 1pm check-in time.🛎️ Passports required at check-in along w/the daily fee, which must be paid in cash. Luckily we had gotten a very small amount of euros as we planned on using cc card. We pre-paid the room and there were no issues with that. Booked through AA so we could get the miles.

Breakfast is included - it is the most basic of continental breakfasts, but has great fresh ground coffee It works for getting us out the door each morning to Termini to begin our days.

We use the HOHO from Big Bus to get around. Because we're playing tourist, the HOHO gets us close to the sites we want to see, then just walk from the stop. Hotel is centrally located, so you probably could walk from it to most sites. With but hips & feet, we choose to ride then walk. We bought a 3 day ticket (prepaid online) that includes a nighttime (not nightmare, lol) tour, walking tour, and bus pass. We also used the Big Bus FCO->Termini transfer when we arrived. It was under $14 for 2 people. More on the Big Bus later.

20231028_062728.jpg

20231028_061913.jpg

20231028_061838.jpg

20231028_061629.jpg

20231026_104704.jpg

20231026_111120.jpg

20231026_132120.jpg

20231026_132127.jpg

20231026_133210.jpg

20231026_133252.jpg

20231026_174639.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

It looks like you're having a great time in Rome. We will be there next November so am interested in the BigBus from the airport. We had a terrible transfer last time we were there. Continue on-appreciating your reports.

We bought our ticket direct on their website and only learned about it when buying g our HOHO tickets. We bought round trip tickets, but don't need them as our hotel at the end of our cruise is in a different location. Round trip tickets are under $20 for 2 people, which would be a good deal if we needed them, lol. The one way ticket that we actually needed are under $14 for 2 people. I'll post links later, it was very easy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Elevator and stairs from street level looking down/out. 

"Biscuits" and other breakfast items. For reference, DHs large donut is on a salad plate - it was huge.

20231028_100242.jpg

20231028_100301.jpg

20231028_084332.jpg

20231028_084325.jpg

20231028_084311.jpg

20231028_100145.jpg

20231028_100200.jpg

20231028_100128.jpg

20231028_100215.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Remove pic
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Lunch on the way to Trevi Fountain is at Donati's.

House red.🍷

DH has salmon special coming; I'm getting lasagna even though I think that's too heavy for lunch. So, basically DH is having salmon & lasagna. 

Had clear blue skies this morning, but a few clouds have rolled in. Slight breeze and 72°.

20231028_124536.jpg

20231028_124524.jpg

20231028_124504.jpg

20231028_123210.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Upload
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2