Local Residents Reaction To Cruise Ship Passengers

kerota

And of course we have the idiot tourists ... the President of the Guild of Village Idiots in this case🙄

British tourist caught carving names into Rome Colosseum says he 'didn't know it was old' as he issues grovelling apology.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tourist-carve-colosseum-britain-issues-grovelling-apology/

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

And of course we have the idiot tourists ... the President of the Guild of Village Idiots in this case🙄

British tourist caught carving names into Rome Colosseum says he 'didn't know it was old' as he issues grovelling apology.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tourist-carve-colosseum-britain-issues-grovelling-apology/

It seems we hear of these defacements to the Colosseum 3-4 times each season. It fills me with fury each time. 🤬

Monument survives several Barbarian invasions, the collapse of the Roman empire and World War II, only to be defaced by modern-day idiots.

On the brighter side, the fines are high (not just a slap on the wrist) and maybe cover the cost of repairing the damage...

In recent years, tourists have also damaged sculptures in Rome and Florence and at least one fountain in Rome by climbing in it and monkeying around.

Norge fjords Zero emission zones - ban of cruise ships

The Norwegian Parliament has adopted a resolution to stop emissions from cruise ships in the Norwegian World Heritage fjords by 2026. The majority of Cruise ships will not be able to navigate the UNESCO Heritage fjords to the ports of Flåm and Geiranger from 2026.

However, there is a proposal to allow the use of biogas (Bio LNG) under certain circumstances for a transitional period of 5 years, so that new cruise ships powered by bio LNG can still sail the fjords until 2030.

LNG powered ships like MSC Euribia, AIDAnova, Costa Smeralda, P&O Iona and possible more, who can use bio LNG will be able to visit Flåm and Geiranger after 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It seems we hear of these defacements to the Colosseum 3-4 times each season. It fills me with fury each time. 🤬

Monument survives several Barbarian invasions, the collapse of the Roman empire and World War II, only to be defaced by modern-day idiots.

On the brighter side, the fines are high (not just a slap on the wrist) and maybe cover the cost of repairing the damage...

In recent years, tourists have also damaged sculptures in Rome and Florence and at least one fountain in Rome by climbing in it and monkeying around.

I hope these defacements are not being done by cruise passengers. Rome has a lot of tourists who do not come in via cruise ships.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I hope these defacements are not being done by cruise passengers. Rome has a lot of tourists who do not come in via cruise ships.

Most reports do not specify, but I suspect they are not cruise ship passengers. However, once ashore, if not on a cruise tour, how would one distinguish?  I suspect locals do not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Most reports do not specify, but I suspect they are not cruise ship passengers. However, once ashore, if not on a cruise tour, how would one distinguish?  I suspect locals do not.

You probably know this, but this is from page 1 of the "How To Tell Cruise Tourists In a Crowd":

• They're elderly, fluffy, or both
  • They wear lanyards
  • They wear cute cruse-related T-shirts
  • They flash their (usually high-status) cards around town like they were titanium credit cards
  • They often decline lunch in town to head back to the ship

There are other signs, but they're often shared with "Rude Americans".

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

You probably know this, but this is from page 1 of the "How To Tell Cruise Tourists In a Crowd":

• They wear lanyards
  • They flash their (usually high-status) cards around town like they were titanium credit cards

Present company excepted of course. I'm sure you meant to add that. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

• They wear lanyards

There really are a lot of us who do not fit that description. I hope you do not fit that description and I am sure you do not.

12 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

That's one that makes me wild!!! Sure, you paid for it. But if you like food - and local people - why not find a fun, off the beaten path place for lunch???

Cruisers by their nature tend not to be the most adventuresome of travellers. For those who are anxious about sanitation, food quality, etc. there is some measure of predictability on the boat. The do certainly miss out however on one of the joys of travelling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Cruisers by their nature tend not to be the most adventuresome of travellers. For those who are anxious about sanitation, food quality, etc. there is some measure of predictability on the boat. The do certainly miss out however on one of the joys of travelling. 

Would this be one of the joys of traveling? We once got lost in Santorini. We stumbled upon a musuem in a cave. We went in, and the guide did a tour in both English for us and Greek for another couple. At the end we showed him our HAL map and asked where we were on the map. He laughed and said we were off the map. After asking if we had rented a car, he tried to hail a cab, but could not get one. He then showed us a shortcut back to the area in the map.

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

Totally correct and I accept it but it still makes me crazy(er). I guess we're just kinda back alley people 🙂

On 10/26/2023 at 6:09 AM, Joebucks said:

I was being facetious.

Mega ships kill the planet. Small, wealthier, ships are green and responsible.

Kind of funny someone would think they are saving the planet by taking a smaller cruise ship.  

On 11/2/2023 at 6:12 AM, K32682 said:

Clearly not everyone's "joy of traveling" is the same.  

14 minutes ago, Harry Lake said:

I'm really into FOOD and have to remind myself that not all travelers are.

It is to be hoped that people do the kind of vacation that they actually enjoy -- whatever that is.  Of course, we might learn about something brand new to enjoy if we are a little adventuresome.  

When it comes to food in foreign ports, I love hitting the local bakeries or picking up street food type of things.  

We were in a port stop in San Diego last week and walked down to Seaport Village.  Not a back alley place to be sure.   I had this pineapple ice cream in a cup layered with pineapple upside down cake.  OMG, it was incredibly good (unless you are counting calories, Lol).  

Edited by ldubs

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Haha. I've had in Japanese and tapas restnts.  I have to admit I won't go out of my way for it.  

This was in Greece - a DIY trip - and we ate it A LOT. Grilled. Oh, wait, I haven't mentioned the rat we ate in Thailand - LOL.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

I'm really into FOOD and have to remind myself that not all travelers are.

It means a different thing for everyone. When I went to Cancun, most people would barely let me finish my sentence before they asked if "I had an all-inclusive" because "free" food is the best food. Boy were they disappointed that I stayed at one that wasn't. There are also plenty of fancy restaurants there. For me, I was beyond satisfied at the hole in the wall taco joints. Getting 3 or so amazing tacos for about $5 blew the pants off of all of the other crap people obsess over. 

On 11/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, Harry Lake said:

Totally correct and I accept it but it still makes me crazy(er). I guess we're just kinda back alley people 🙂

The first time I encountered this mentality was in the Marquesas. We'd spent the morning exploring with another couple and found a delightful little spot that looked like it came out of a 1950's movie. When I suggested we eat lunch there our companions looked shocked and declared, "We NEVER eat food other than on the ship" and off they went. What followed was a fresh seafood meal that remains among the best meals I've ever had. Their loss.

• Like 1