Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

8 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

ak1004-   as a female I wrote from my perspective. Don't insult men. 

How was I insulting men? Not to mention that I'm a man myself lol..

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

The trend today is travelling with carry on only. Yes, it's possible. One carry on and one personal item per passenger.

When we were backpacking Europe ala Rick Steve's, maybe, but 21 days pre-cruise + upscale cruise ... nah.  Laundry/dry cleaning becomes too frequent an exercise.  I guess it's easier with a synthetic fiber wardrobe.

1 hour ago, MsCrystalina said:

I cannot understand how this is such a problem for a traveler. I just returned from the Nova.

No one on this forum has complained about the dress code on Nova. Thanks for confirming that it is reasonable. Now if only the other ships will switch to that!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, canderson said:

When we were backpacking Europe ala Rick Steve's, maybe, but 21 days pre-cruise + upscale cruise ... nah.  Laundry/dry cleaning becomes too frequent an exercise.  I guess it's easier with a synthetic fiber wardrobe.

We usually do up to 2 weeks.. 21 days might be a stretch, but still doable. Better than losing the luggage for sure.

• Like 1

Hi

new to silversea… not yet booked, but considering a trip on Shadow.   Throughout this thread, people are referring to the “pizza place” and only pizza being available if not “dressed properly”.  Which dining venue is this referring to?
I see there are only 4 dining venues onboard (La Dame being one of them, and I’m “relatively” certain LOL that is NOT the one…)😄

From casual research, seemed that the Grill and one other option should be more “casual”.  Am I mistaken?   Hopefully more than pizza available? (And if ONLY pizza, do they do gluten free?)

14 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Hi

new to silversea… not yet booked, but considering a trip on Shadow.   Throughout this thread, people are referring to the “pizza place” and only pizza being available if not “dressed properly”.  Which dining venue is this referring to?
I see there are only 4 dining venues onboard (La Dame being one of them, and I’m “relatively” certain LOL that is NOT the one…)😄

From casual research, seemed that the Grill and one other option should be more “casual”.  Am I mistaken?   Hopefully more than pizza available? (And if ONLY pizza, do they do gluten free?)

The pizza place mentioned is on the larger ships.  The Shadow does not have a pizza place.  The Grill has many options. 

I am all for a sense of “decorum” in certain venues (I absolutely LOVE going to historic hotels with a “dress for dinner” rule).  But I do have to admit, the SS dress code edict is confusing at best.   Given today’s luggage limits imposed by airlines, we try to pack items only absolutely needed.  We are happy to pack dinner attire, IF it is either required or has a good chance of being used… and have done that for many cruises.

however, there have been several times that our excursion returned extremely late, when dining hours were winding down… very hot, tired and cranky (we are normally early diners, so were also “hangry”).   On those days,  I needed to eat ASAP, without so much as a visit to the cabin.   So we opted for the fastest, most casual food option, knowing that once we went to cabin and had a shower, we were “toast”.

the itinerary we are looking at will be warm, but I am not expecting long days of excursions.   I just hope that there would be some option… or maybe we need to bring some snacks aboard to quell the “hangry” if not?

just looking for options😄

Note that The Grille requires reservations, so you must plan ahead.  And while it has numerous options, the menu doesn’t change and it’s primarily meat. I love meat but don’t want it - or Grille — nightly. And that still means a jacket after dinner, which is the craziest thing . . . Casual options that don’t require reservations and /or an upcharge are limited to pizza or room service.  

After a long, hot day, my hair is sticky gross and I need a shower, not a sink whatever.  Whomever suggested that is almost certainly a man. 😀  I also don’t want to put on my nice clothes over . . . You get the picture. 

We cruised Crystal for years.  They had a casual dress code most nights, which meant collared shirt and long pants. No jeans, no shorts, no T-shirts.  One or two nights were formal optional, for which almost all men wore jackets.  Some wore tuxes.  NEVER heard a complaint or issue with dress code and never saw anyone not complying. [And please don’t start on the whole Crystal bankruptcy thing as it’s irrelevant to dress code.  I mention it only to show that a luxury line can do “casual” without controversy and without sacrificing “ambiance.”]

Once again, my original post was directed to “informal” dress on port nights.   I don’t understand why so many here find it so critical to force everyone to dress up on port nights.  If you want to wear a tux after being out all day, do it!  Just don’t make me do it.  That’s all I’m asking.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The trend today is travelling with carry on only. Yes, it's possible. One carry on and one personal item per passenger. One less thing to worry about. On our last river cruise, out of 88 guests at least 3-4 couples got their luggage lost. That's 10%.

And when you travel with carry on only, a jacket is a major addition. Why this is so difficult for people to understand??

And I always wear my jacket on the plane.So it makes no difference to our packing. Plus there’s at least one member on CC that travels HLO but still meets the dress code.

So that’s why I don’t understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

And I always wear my jacket on the plane.So it makes no difference to our packing. Plus there’s at least one member on CC that travels HLO but still meets the dress code.

So that’s why I don’t understand.

Everyone is different. 

If it’s a TA flight of 7-8 hours you still wear a jacket the whole flight? Some flights become pretty hot. And not all airlines have an option to give the jacket to the crew to hang it.

What happens when you arrive and it’s 30c outside? Still wear it?

Those are completely honest questions. We will be on the Dawn in December sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. We started travelling with carry on only recently, and it will be our first time that I have to take a jacket. I hate jackets, but I intend to comply with the dress code despite considering it absurd, but also want to find a solution that is not too inconvenient. In May we will be on the Spirit from Venice, and will have the same issue, this time on TA flight.

24 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

If it’s a TA flight of 7-8 hours you still wear a jacket the whole flight? Some flights become pretty hot. And not all airlines have an option to give the jacket to the crew to hang it.

Put it in the overhead bin if you don't want to wear it onboard.

And if it get wrinkled....send it to the ship's laundry to get pressed.  In fact, here's my pro tip for the evening:

Rather than send clothes out for dry cleaning at home before your cruise, and then packing and having to worry about wrinkles -- just pack them in the bag any way you can, then send them out to be cleaned and pressed when you get onboard.  Nice and fresh and you don't have that "wrinkle while in the suitcase" issue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Put it in the overhead bin if you don't want to wear it onboard.

And if it get wrinkled....send it to the ship's laundry to get pressed.  In fact, here's my pro tip for the evening:

Rather than send clothes out for dry cleaning at home before your cruise, and then packing and having to worry about wrinkles -- just pack them in the bag any way you can, then send them out to be cleaned and pressed when you get onboard.  Nice and fresh and you don't have that "wrinkle while in the suitcase" issue.

That's a very good advice - but my understanding is it's not free (unless certain level of suite and/or loyalty)? Any idea about the cost? Is it possible to just request a steamer?

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

That's a very good advice - but my understanding is it's not free (unless certain level of suite and/or loyalty)? Any idea about the cost? Is it possible to just request a steamer?

Nominal.  Probably under $15 for a full dry-cleaning.  In the scope of what you are paying for a Silversea cruise, it's peanuts.  (Just being realistic - and if you were going to have it cleaned before leaving, it's a wash)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Irons are available in the laundromat aboard.

Silver Suite and up for free laundry.

18 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Nominal.  Probably under $15 for a full dry-cleaning.  In the scope of what you are paying for a Silversea cruise, it's peanuts.  (Just being realistic - and if you were going to have it cleaned before leaving, it's a wash)

Good to know, and agree, if it's around $15, it's very reasonable.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Everyone is different. 

What happens when you arrive and it’s 30c outside? Still wear it?

Those are completely honest questions. We will be on the Dawn in December sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. We started travelling with carry on only recently, and it will be our first time that I have to take a jacket. I hate jackets, but I intend to comply with the dress code despite considering it absurd, but also want to find a solution that is not too inconvenient. In May we will be on the Spirit from Venice, and will have the same issue, this time on TA flight.

Usually the FA will hang it. sometimes a little hook on the seat in front and if no other option it is folded and placed on top of our carry ons. Never been an insurmountable problem.

And if it is 30C outside I would carry it over my arm or on our bags handle. We then get a taxi if they are air conditioned or a car service if we know that taxis are often not air conditioned eg BKK. In Japan the limousine bus to our hotel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Is there any venue on Shadow that does not require reservations?
if no reservation (or arriving back late/missing reservation) , only option is then room service?

The main dining room does not require reservations.

• Like 2