"Doggy Bag" in Main Dining Room

zigzaggery

1 minute ago, zigzaggery said:

Hello,

Wondering whether it's possible to get a doggy bag in the main dining room. If there's not room for dessert perhaps. 😀

Thanks,

Jennifer 

Yes, but they want to send it to your room for some reason & won't give it to you to carry out.

1 hour ago, zigzaggery said:

Hello,

Wondering whether it's possible to get a doggy bag in the main dining room. If there's not room for dessert perhaps. 😀

Thanks,

Jennifer 

Really depends on the ship.  

Many will not let you take it to your room, but will deliver it to your room, using RS.

Other ships have wrapped it up and let us take it to our room.

You just have to ask your waiter.

2 hours ago, zigzaggery said:

@MissP22, thank you! That's okay, assuming I don't have to be there to receive it. 😀

No not at all. You'll find it on the desk with a cover on it. We always order extra desserts that you'll only see once in the DR. 

Oh, btw if you like you can always go to a show and return to the DR just before they close in the evening to dessert & coffee. Usually at 9 PM sharp. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

No not at all. You'll find it on the desk with a cover on it. We always order extra desserts that you'll only see once in the DR. 

Oh, btw if you like you can always go to a show and return to the DR just before they close in the evening to dessert & coffee. Usually at 9 PM sharp. 

That is great to know!! Returning to the dining room for dessert. Thanks

• Like 1

Interesting.  I never did think about returning to the dining room prior to closing for dessert.  That sounds great.  We will give that a try on the Enchanted in Dec.   Now, in terms of having that extra dessert delivered to one's stateroom upon exiting the dining room, I wonder now whether we would be charged a room service delivery charge for that dining room dessert to be delivered.  Going to try it both ways in December. We do not do Plus or Premium so we do not order room service.

50 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

But would you pay $5 RS

No. You are not calling from your cabin phone.  The waiter is having it delivered.

On the Sapphire, we can take it ourselves and from Sabatini’s too. 

NP

But, some ships won’t allow it, only RS.

Before $5.

I asked for my tiramisu to go.  I received 3 delivered by Room Service.

Takeout container from Crown Grill on Grand, foil on the Crown.

After $5.  Most recently:

Birthday cake was wrapped in foil from Sabatini’s 

Coffee from suite breakfast taken back to room in cardboard cup (they prefer not to allow glassware out of restaurant)

pralines served in metal dish taken back to room. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pink845 said:

Interesting.  I never did think about returning to the dining room prior to closing for dessert.  That sounds great.  We will give that a try on the Enchanted in Dec.   Now, in terms of having that extra dessert delivered to one's stateroom upon exiting the dining room, I wonder now whether we would be charged a room service delivery charge for that dining room dessert to be delivered.  Going to try it both ways in December. We do not do Plus or Premium so we do not order room service.

If they ever start charging for that service I'll be taking it myself when we leave the DR. Just cover the plate with a napkin, get up and walk out inconspicuously. 

51 minutes ago, david63 said:

Can I ask a silly question?

Why would you want a "doggy bag" from any restaurant on a ship when there is food available 24/7?

That's true but on occasion there's a dessert that may only be served once on a cruise, never to be offered again. In that case we like to have it as a backup for another afternoon or night where we take it to the buffet. 

• Like 3

I don’t eat dessert, but I can see someone taking one for later.  My impression is that they are on the large side.  But I’ve never been served an entree that I couldn’t finish.  Some of them have been quite miniature.  I sometimes leave the dining room still hungry.  But the feeling goes away after my second Manhattan in the Wheelhouse after dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, david63 said:

That is simple - don't order it in the first place!

No, it's not that simple. No matter how careful you are only to order what you think you can eat, sometimes there is food left over when you are done.

Anyway, why shouldn't you take it with you? The food is included and you can eat as much as you want. So what if you eat half your steak at dinner and half for lunch the next day?

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Anyway, why shouldn't you take it with you?

For one reason - hygiene.

Food if not kept in the right conditions can pose a health hazard not only to you (which is of your own making) but potentially to others and we all know the consequences of food poisoning on a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MacMadame said:

No, it's not that simple. No matter how careful you are only to order what you think you can eat, sometimes there is food left over when you are done.

Anyway, why shouldn't you take it with you? The food is included and you can eat as much as you want. So what if you eat half your steak at dinner and half for lunch the next day?

Who eats cold steak?

55 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

I like to go to the buffet sometimes later after dinner in the MDR.  Lots of dessert choices. 

We do also, especially if there's a special dessert only served in the DR.

We find the desserts at the buffet to be very plain and not worth the calories, especially on most of the ships except the Royal class. 

• Like 2